MnP 19: Illusion of Gaia - Lively City

HoboKa

Compo: MnP (Meat 'n Potatoes)

Round 19: Illusion of Gaia - Lively City

iogtitle.jpg

I choose you, Pikachu.... er, no no, I choose Lively City from Illusion of Gaia.

-Argle

Midi

Starts: 10/07/2014

Ends: 23/07/2014 2pm Wed

Vote Ends: 25/07/2014 8pm Fri

Submit your remix Here when completed.

**If you have technical difficulty with account activation at ThaSauce, please contact Ramaniscence via pm**

MISSION STATEMENT

The goal of Compo:MnP is to promote that "meat and potatoes" conservative approach to remixing: this includes the mood and composition of source tunes. It is up to the remixer to create their own personalization, or to simply give it a sound upgrade. Moreover, the compo is a great opportunity to hone your remixing skills and give video game music the respect that is due. A modicum of originality is recommended, but not required.

All competitors and voters must adhere to the rules stated within: Competition Code and Conduct *

MnP Instructions

1. Covers and Sound Upgrades are permitted.

2. Any genre is acceptable, so long as you can still capture the source tune's mood and a good chunk of the notation. Orchestration turned into Achapella, for instance, would be a hard sell...

3. Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max).

4. Only 1 entry per participant.

5. Previous winner cannot participate, but can submit a bonus, as well as have a vote that counts 2x

6. Submission must be made specifically for this competition, otherwise it will have to be a bonus track. Taking an old idea of yours and heavily revising it is permissible.

Example Tracks:

FF7_SonOfChaos,

SMW_Monstrous_Turtles,

Hitman_Contract_Cleaner,

MISC/TIPS

- When picking a source tune, make sure it has a MIDI to make ppl's lives easier.

- In-game sound FX are permitted, so long as they don't comprise the whole track (i.e. replacing entire MIDI tracks with just sfx)

- Certain sad or moody source tunes don't have drums or percussion for a reason. So keeping it that way may be the easiest way to retain much of the original feel, such as

and

MnP

Edited by HoboKa

• 2 weeks later...
Nah, everything's set to go. I actually just uploaded my track :smile: It wound up being a fun source, though I wasn't familiar with it (I've only heard of the game, never played it).

I'd recommend you try out the Soulblazer Trilogy as it was definitely ahead of its time, you'd have to play 'em to understand :P

Regardless, I'm glad that you liked the source as much as I and (presumably) Argle does too :D

And thanks for participating Blaine!

Already submitted, fun source.

Excellent, thanks gercr.

EDIT

Hope you feel better soon!

This comes late, but thanks!! Now I have allergies to deal with yayyy!! Damn you hay-fever!!

Edited by HoboKa

I'd recommend you try out the Soulblazer Trilogy as it was definitely ahead of its time, you'd have to play 'em to understand :P

And thanks for participating Blaine!

Looks like I've got more to add to my growing list of "Games to Play". Doesn't help that I just got Mario Kart 8... and Wind Waker HD......... and Pikmin 3............Darn you Nintendo and your deals!

Also, you're welcome!

Aw damn, I should throw together a bonus mix.

Doooooo iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Crap I don't have it finished enough to submit. I don't like submitting extremely unfinished mixes so I likely won't be submitting. Life happened lol.

Oh well, hopefully we'll see you next round then :D

EDIT

Also, GrapplingHook's title is very true. The Jeweler Gem is indeed a jerk. I had to use the internet to find them all and well...let me tell you the final gem is a real surprise. A jerky surprise, but it's still worth it - especially if you've played Soulblazer :)

Edited by HoboKa

Results

• Blaine got 1st place with 15 points
  • gercr got 2nd with 10 points
  • GrapplingHook got 3rd with 8 points

Blaine, please pick the source tune for round 20

Comments:

Nice participation and I apologize for forgetting to post the voting stage and getting the results on time. I'll do my best to me more organized next round. Life's been a pain in the ass for me recently >_<

Edited by HoboKa