OCR01477 - Mega Man 2 "Wily and the Deep Forest"

Very small, tight sounding mix. I prefer the down-tempo piano mix sessions that are incorporated here. The synth and early drum parts are just kinda amateur sounding..

Drumwork is nice though, just the synths, I can't say anything good about them. Acoustic stuff at the end brings it up to OCR standard tho.. Good stuff overall..

Diggi Dis is the bomb. I'd have to double check, but I think this is the first Two-Step mix on OCR. Maybe Joshua Morse or po! hit it earlier, but I don't think so.

I've been listening to this for months because I'm a sucker for Two-Step no doubt. I think people are really placing too much emphasis on sample quality. Some of the best songs and some of today's most popular songs (even if you don't like them, they're still popular) use samples that aren't 100% realistic. Sometimes we gotta just work with what we got and sometimes we pick something because we like the sound. So cut the kid some slack because this fits perfectly with the genre. If fake strings are good enough for MJ Cole, then they're certainly good enough for Diggi Dis and for us here at OCR.

What really shines here is the arrangement and thought put into this. Not your cookie-cutter mix, no sir. Lots of different parts, and as djpretzel said, lots of variety in drum patterns, etc.

Like I said, though I've been listening to this for some time now - this is my favourite thing to come out of OCR for a while. Maybe I'm biased because of the Two-Step, or maybe I just like the fact that it's a clever arrangement of a piece we don't hear to often.

Well, it took a while, but someone finally made a Woodman remix. Began soothing piano and strings, and ended doing so too. I'm glad that Woodman's melody dominated most of the time, but on the other hand I haven't found the other tracks inside it either. Oh well.

Although I'm a big fan of piano and all its associates, the techno part that followed with all its beats and artificial glory was well appreciated. Diggi Dis managed to speed up the process with those instruments, the synth sometimes hit some loud key that sounded too bright, but it all worked out really nice.

Now are all the robot bosses in MM2 covered, well done. :D

At first I wasn't very fond of this remix. Yay, another electronic fast-paced drum,n,bassorwhatever Megaman 2 remix.

Then, at some point it developed a nice jam and I started to enjoy it. The chillout starting at 3:43 is just awesome. I think I'd like this remix more if the whole song was like that, but on the other hand the fast, hectic beginning gives the end more value. The song is very well thought out and everything just clicks into place.

Not one of my all time favorites but a very enjoyable remix in any case.

Thanks.

There was a slightly "MIDI-ish" quality during the intro- but that cleaned up with the synth pad, and I personally think the piano quality improved greatly as the piece progressed. My only concern was that some of it was almost blatently copied, slowed down, and pianized. But once listening again, I realized there was so little of that, that it actually didn't matter...

I'd give this a wonderful score!

Yeah, that intro pretty much sucked. I mean, I almost didn't listen to the rest of the song. The instrumentation is just that chinsy and sappy.

Then the drums kicked in and my daughter started dancing. You get points for that.

It's certainly a very interesting form of dance. Not really house or 2step... It's definitely got the BGM vibe to it. Then there's some swank at the end to put the ladies in the mood. Once ya get over the "doesn't-sound-real-at-all" bit, it's all good.

I like the general concensus - the opening was overly-expected and pretty lousy, but then it took off. I like the latter part of the mix, when it goes into the slower part of the song - I'm running this in Firefox, so I can't stamp a time.

Overall, pretty good. Very good, actually. Just try to avoid laquering in that opening again. Needs to take off faster.

Blah repeat what the previous 19 entries said, I kinda agree with all that. But what struck me most is that this song is almost an exact replica of Starblast's chrono trigger remix "Black Wind Rising." I.e., they both start out crappy with terrible samples and the impression that the mix will blow, then comes a radical change and the song gets good. Except that star does this to the nth degree while this woodman mix never quite does the same kind of quirky and amazing theme variations that we hear from star. So to summarize, this mix is like a Roman Venus de Milo to me.

Lots of mixes are posted to this site that don't have great quality samples. Look at Rellik's latest mix, it's all FL default stuff. Chthonic's is pretty much the same way. Not to mention Dr.Fruitcake's mixes, and so forth and so on. I really don't think people like pixietricks or GeoffreyTaucer (or the other 4-5+ people who had a problem with the string sample, myself included) are saying that samples have to be perfectly realistic for a good song. That is obviously false. However, I think in this case, most people feel the sample is just not being used well, for whatever reason.

As you should know, the same quality samples can be used by multiple people, and different results can be achieved. Whether it's through different methods of sequencing, different approaches to production, layering, mastering, or whatever, it's just a fact. I think the good majority of people liked this mix. I definitely liked it. Nonetheless, that doesn't mean there still might not be a small problem with it.

Mustin:

I'm not sure what you expect...i certainly commented that the strings weren't great, and yet I hardly followed with the conclusion that due to the string sample, the track is excluded from the set of "Good Music." In fact, quite the opposite. I think this track is awesome.

This is obviously not the case in all corners of the community, but here at OCR we encourage our reviewers to include not only positive, but also critical comments.

For me, the string sample is one of very few minor weakness in an otherwise stellar track.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01477 - Mega Man 2 "Wily and the Deep Forest"