Freedom Planet (It's Better than Undertale!)

Garpocalypse

A great 16-bit style indie game just released on Steam today and it's awesome! For all of the OCR SEGA peeps like myself this would definitely be a must buy!

http://freedomplanet.galaxytrail.com/

Gameplay wise it combines Sonic the Hedgehog with some Rocket Knight and despite a few control issues (turn the sensitivity to 50% or less with the xbox controller) it seems to work pretty well. My biggest gripe with the game is the voice acting. Which isn't horrible but definitely amateurish. I don't know why in a 16-bit style game ANYONE would think that EVERY SINGLE line of text would need to be read to the player. :-?

It's 15 bucks with plenty to do and more free content promised in the future so give it a shot if you are looking for a good Sonic inspired side scroller!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I've had a fair bit of experience with this title and I can honestly say the following: Comparing it to Undertale is clickbait, untrue and an unjust comparison. About the only thing you could say that FP comes close to being as good as Undertale is the soundtrack because it sure as heck doesn't deliver in either gameplay or storytelling, the latter of which is so in love with itself that it drones on and on and on without noticing (or perhaps even worse being aware of) that it is at most just bearable and very often completely cringe worthy. FP can be quite fun, don't get me wrong but this comparison is doing it nothing but a disservice.

Yeah, I'm not sure how you can follow a claim like "It's Better than Undertale" with "it's like Sonic and Sparkster at the same time" and not mention anything of its storytelling or atmosphere. Considering a large portion of Undertale's strength is its storytelling (and that through its game mechanics as well). I have to agree it is kind of clickbait.

Different genres completely, it's not a fair comparison. 

I mean yeah it's a good game, but saying it's better than Undertale is completely subjective and based on your opinion. Therefore it shouldn't be presented as fact like it is in the topic title.

Also you totally didn't mention a sequel was announced, and it coming to PC first followed by Nintendo stuff later and maybe others. I'd post the trailer but I'm too lazy to grab the link and it just reveals the basic storyline, no gameplay is shown at all.

Now you're getting it!  Just remember that in order to have a counter argument you MUST buy Freedom Planet and play through it a few times! Then you might be able to convince me if i'm wrong. Just FYI, there's no arguing with crazy people...!  Which is why it's crazy if you don't play this game!

And just so everyone knows I am in no way attacking Undertale.  I'm just pointing out what a great game Freedom Planet is and at the same time pointing out all the flaws that are inherent in Undertale that make it not nearly the great game Freedom Planet is.

3 hours ago, Bleck said:

saying Freedom Planet is better than Undertale is wrong by virtue of Undertale being a good game and Freedom Planet being a bad one

Bleck, that's not a virtue!

I feel like Garpocalypse has been making it a point recently to be as absurd as possible these days :P

But what if one of the greatest artistic merits of Undertale is what makes it a bad game for some? It is so divisive, whereas Freedom Planet is straightforward.

That's why the comparison is dumb in the first place. Because Freedom Planet isn't a self-aware experiment in game storytelling. It's a throwback side-scroller. Saying it's "better than Undertale" is an obvious tip to people that Freedom Planet somehow does what Undertale does but even better. Which couldn't be further from the truth, because it's a polar opposite to Undertale in style and mechanics. You may as well start a thread saying artistic games are bad and simple arcade-y ones are superior. At least then you're standing on a baseline value system and not just assuming everyone knows what the hell you're talking about.

9 hours ago, Neblix said:

That's why the comparison is dumb in the first place. Because Freedom Planet isn't a self-aware experiment in game storytelling. It's a throwback side-scroller. Saying it's "better than Undertale" is an obvious tip to people that Freedom Planet somehow does what Undertale does but even better. Which couldn't be further from the truth, because it's a polar opposite to Undertale in style and mechanics. You may as well start a thread saying artistic games are bad and simple arcade-y ones are superior. At least then you're standing on a baseline value system and not just assuming everyone knows what the hell you're talking about.

Although, there is an argument to be made that the primary function of a video game is to be entertaining, and that may cause a division between art games and "traditional" games (for lack of a better term). But now we are getting in the pre "post-modern" discourse of art versus Art. Since I firmly believe that all art is Art, However, there exists a scale where the artistic merits of Undertale play against it when compared to Freedom Planet, and therefore, in that paradigm, Garpocalypse is entirely right.

Oh man, what's with all the philisophicles talkin' in this thread?!

No I am not making a comparison between between the two games.  That would be like making a comparison between between Freedom Planet and a dead stick. Sure the stick was fun for kids a long time ago, but our species has moved on since then.

I'm just saying Freedom Planet Is a better game than Undertale In the same way Die Hard is a better movie than Forest Gump. Yea one was an instant academy award winner that was a poignant statement on a simple, well-meaning guy trapped between multiple social conflicts in the most turbulent times in this country..but Die Hard wasn't 2+ hours of extreme boredom. ...and it had shooting and explosions and stuff in it.  Die Hard was considerably less boring. In fact, Die Hard was awesome.  

die-hard-o.gif

I rest my case. I win.  FLAWLESS ANALOGY.

1 hour ago, Garpocalypse said:

I'm just saying Freedom Planet Is a better game than Undertale In the same way Die Hard is a better movie than Forest Gump. Yea one was an instant academy award winner that was a poignant statement on a simple, well-meaning guy trapped between multiple social conflicts in the most turbulent times in this country..but Die Hard wasn't 2+ hours of extreme boredom. ...and it had shooting and explosions and stuff in it.

You remind me of how much I appreciate movie critics that are capable of understanding the strengths and goals of different types of movies, as well as the quality of their execution. Not just dismissing one as "action-schlock," or the other as "boring."

On 12/30/2015 at 9:14 AM, The Author said:

Although, there is an argument to be made that the primary function of a video game is to be entertaining, and that may cause a division between art games and "traditional" games (for lack of a better term). But now we are getting in the pre "post-modern" discourse of art versus Art. Since I firmly believe that all art is Art, However, there exists a scale where the artistic merits of Undertale play against it when compared to Freedom Planet, and therefore, in that paradigm, Garpocalypse is entirely right.

I encourage you to move to my art games thread to put the discussion in a place where it can actually be taken seriously and is welcome xP

Freedom Planet is a damn good game.  I've never played Undertale, but it looks like a completely different game.  Freedom Planet is an old-school Sega-style throwback platformer, and Undertale appears to be a twisted 8-bit-style RPG.  Both games have modern twists to them, but I can see why there is no need for comparison between the two.  Even comparing Freedom Planet to something like Shovel Knight or Shantae makes no sense as they all play very differently from one another.  But they are all worth playing for old-school game fans.  And now, thanks to this thread, I may have to give Undertale a try because it looks awesome.

I got this in my IndieBox and haven't played it yet but you shouldn't go around saying that it is better than Undertale. That's just destined to backfire in some way.

Most of you are saying that it's subjective as to which game's better, but Undertale is in a whole different league. I'm really sorry to say this because Freedom Planet looks awesome but Undertale is a phenomenon while Freedom Planet might just be a good game. The things Undertale has spawned and the status to which it arose are way beyond what any other indie game in the last few years could ever hope to accomplish (except for Minecraft of course). It just went to something that is so much more than just a game and thus I don't think it should be compared to anything really.