Early WIP - Crash 'n' the Boys

Hey guys! This is my first attempt at a remix, or any real music for that matter...so it's not the greatest...

I know this is also a super early WIP, but that's mostly why I wanted to post it now. I want to see if there are any big mistakes I'm making before I spend more time on this track.

I'm very passionate about VG music, and this song in general is one of my all time favourite NES songs :)

I hope it's at least decent! I would appreciate any feedback, even if it's just "lol nt gg" :P

Thanks guys!!!

Here it is:

stats.png

The original:

Edited by ProfessorSMASH

The kick is really loud and repetitive. Even subtle changes to the rhythm can help here. I could be wrong about this, but cut at 247Hz for the kick drum to maybe give the bass a little more headroom. I think the kick itself is more prominent at 62Hz or somewhere within that range. Also, I'd personally layer the bass and the lead synths to maybe give it a fuller sound.

Awesome thanks! I'm still new to drums I'm having troubles making them sound good, but I do hear it now the infinite sound of those kicks. I'll try to fix that asap :)

I fleshed out the lead synths in a couple places, I think it sounds a little better now. I also got a little further in completing the actual song, something I was gonna do before I posted here...but I got impatient :P

Thanks for your reply, I feel like I'm taking a step in the right direction now :)

EDIT: Just listened to my new track...very sporadic, I definitely have a lot of work ahead of me. Thanks again!

Edited by ProfessorSMASH

Awesome thanks! I'm still new to drums I'm having troubles making them sound good, but I do hear it now the infinite sound of those kicks. I'll try to fix that asap :)

I fleshed out the lead synths in a couple places, I think it sounds a little better now. I also got a little further in completing the actual song, something I was gonna do before I posted here...but I got impatient :P

Thanks for your reply, I feel like I'm taking a step in the right direction now :)

EDIT: Just listened to my new track...very sporadic, I definitely have a lot of work ahead of me. Thanks again!

Are you using just one kick drum? Some people layer one or two more behind the first to change the sound and give it a little more oomph. EQing, compression, and some volume reduction is important, I think, otherwise you might end up with a distorted kick which isn't pleasing. I'm not sure what kind of Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) you use, and if it's FL Studio, then the image below should be familiar.

31337ky.png

In the Master Channel on the mixer, I remove the Fruity Limiter and replace it with the Parametric EQ 2 above (which I'll call PEQ2). The above image is to analyze frequencies and to listen to where certain synths sound good. I do so by grabbing the yellow Freq or just grabbing the circle icon and moving it left and/or right to listen where something might sound good. For example, a typical concept would be listening where the kick drum is at. That usually ranges around 60Hz - 90Hz, I want to say. I guess it really depends on what kick you have. It could be a bit higher I suppose. When you're not using the analyzer, be sure to turn it off, otherwise you're not going to hear your whole mix.

When it comes to your leads and/or bass, you want to make sure that nothing is clashing with one another, otherwise it just sounds muddy. So let's say that your lead is at 1225Hz and you put a fat bass in, but it's all over the place, thus not allowing you to really hear anything else. So you decide to turn it down. Okay, but that makes your fat bass less noticeable. :( You could analyze it and find that it's prominent in let's say 188Hz. So your lead is at 1225Hz. In the PEQ2 for your fat bass, cut out some of the frequencies at 1225Hz or as close as you can get to that number and you'll hear that your lead can be heard better.

If you take a look at the BW wheel in the image, that tightens or widens the frequencies. Tightening it makes more space for other sounds around it. However, doing too much tightening can make your sound sound bad. Widening it brings out more, but doing so could make your mix muddy, so play around with it and see what brings out more clarity and what doesn't.

Boosting is useful when EQing, but cutting is also just as beneficial. Boosting every range to get everything heard just makes a mess. For now, I'd just reduce the volume in the mixer (not your Master Channel volume) so you can get an idea of what your remix might sound like and then adjust the volumes, EQ, and add FX later.

Edited by Uffe von Lauterbach