OCR02938 - Metroid 'Dex'

djpretzel

The intro didn't get under my skin personally, and I really like the percussion-heavy glitchiness that 0:17 introduces. My favorite part might have been the calm, almost sleepy tempo that begins around 2:36. For a moment I was lulled into thinking that baby metroids are pretty cute after all, but then the little nightmares awake and attach themselves to my head and the song ends.

Good stuff! :D

For me this was more just a glitchfest of random sound effects with a Metroid song in it. It was there for the first half...sparingly, and throughout in the second-half, but it seems like it's really just fodder for the mangling going on. A lot of time and talent had to have went into producing this, but at the same time, I can picture just about any song going into this blender and achieving the same result, and it doesn't really please my ears.

"Super Mario Dirty Mix" this is not. Not even from a "mangling" perspective. I felt like I wanted to say that Dirty Mix is more driven or focused, but that sounds absurdly stupid and hilarious and not at all true so I'm reversing that. I don't know how else to say it though. Still, similar starting points, different everything else.

There is most definitely a similarity between this and "Dirty Mix", but I like this a lot better because it's more complex. :P I very much liked the creativity in this. The glitch flow actually worked here for the most part. The only off-putting thing for me was that a few resonances weren't tamed completely on the more distorted FM sounds, or the bells (2:44 - 3:45, for example), and it gets a little grating in those spots. My favorite part was 1:55 - 2:43. Btw, anyone notice the BRASS? =O

Edited by timaeus222

Oh, wow, yeah see I thought this was going to be much different from the intro, but all the glitching and distorting effects are set to go all out on you if you're not prepared. Certain sounds and tones were a little sharp to me, but that's just my personal taste working against me and I get the idea behind the mix perfectly, and I think this delivers. Very nice.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...