Super Smash Bros. Melee - Multi-Man Melee 1 Remix

I got done transcribing Multi-Man Melee 1. So the remix is far from being done. The drums are just a placeholder for now. I plan on changing them later. I'm debating whether or not I should remove the organ part at 1:02, which is in the original, but sounds weird in my remix. I'm also debating on whether or not I should keep the narrator's voice. I'm not looking for an evaluation on anything that has to do with mixing down and such. Any other feedback such as what I could add and whatnot is fine.

Source:

Remix:

Faustkampf

First of all, this is pretty loud. Could be turned down about 2~4dB, even though it's dance music. 0:50 organ sounds fake. 0:56 lead gets a little grating in the treble. 1:04 sounds like a new mood (minor --> major --> minor for 6 seconds).

Yeah, it's early, but this could use more dynamics as it goes on. Not much of an intro at the moment; it just starts.

First of all, this is pretty loud. Could be turned down about 2~4dB, even though it's dance music. 0:50 organ sounds fake. 0:56 lead gets a little grating in the treble. 1:04 sounds like a new mood (minor --> major --> minor for 6 seconds).

Yeah, it's early, but this could use more dynamics as it goes on. Not much of an intro at the moment; it just starts.

I should probably swap out the organ, then. :( I'm not really fond of the lead to be honest, so I know what you mean with what you said about it being grating. I can't really help with 1:04 since that's what I heard in the original, as far as notes go. I'm still thinking about how I can start this off. Thanks for the tips.

I should probably swap out the organ, then. :( I'm not really fond of the lead to be honest, so I know what you mean with what you said about it being grating. I can't really help with 1:04 since that's what I heard in the original, as far as notes go. I'm still thinking about how I can start this off. Thanks for the tips.

Eh, if you want to keep the organ, you can, but it would just need more work to pass as a realistic organ IMO. Either way is fine: keep working on the organ realism, or swap it out for an easier instrument to work with.

As for 1:04, yeah, considering that's how you heard it in the original, perhaps you could just wait a bit longer before putting it in, and maybe writing something original to develop a transition to tie in the two moods later. It's not like it's wrong to include that in the ReMix in general, but for me it felt out of place in that particular spot. You don't have to keep the structure of the source tune in a ReMix. This posted ReMix totally mangled the structure and it worked for OCR.

Edited by timaeus222

I'm debating whether or not I should remove the organ part at 1:02, which is in the original, but sounds weird in my remix.

I side with timaeus222 on this one; I think the remix would need some variation, something new and fresh after a while. Expanding on that part could be a good way of doing so (but don't listen to me, I'm new to this :wink: )

I'm also debating on whether or not I should keep the narrator's voice.

I think the voice is a nice addition, when used in a transition like it is here.

As for other comments, I know this may just be the genre, but I personally would have liked more variation, especially after 1:12. Maybe a new instrument might do the trick?

I think the organ gives a nice juxtaposition to the very in your face dance feel the song has. Maybe change the patch to a more "rock organ" sound? I would agree as it stands the organ is a bit tinny sounding, which makes it sound fake, but I don't think you should scrap it.

I collaborated with a friend a few months ago and we used a synth organ that was in NI Massive, so maybe I can switch to that since all it was was just a synthesized. I know the one I'm using now is synthesized, but I think that one is actually meant to sound realistic. I never thought about the juxtaposition. I just slapped it in there originally because that's what the original had. :lol:

Eh, if you want to keep the organ, you can, but it would just need more work to pass as a realistic organ IMO. Either way is fine: keep working on the organ realism, or swap it out for an easier instrument to work with.

As for 1:04, yeah, considering that's how you heard it in the original, perhaps you could just wait a bit longer before putting it in, and maybe writing something original to develop a transition to tie in the two moods later. It's not like it's wrong to include that in the ReMix in general, but for me it felt out of place in that particular spot. You don't have to keep the structure of the source tune in a ReMix. This posted ReMix totally mangled the structure and it worked for OCR.

I understand. I can't remember where on the site I read about realism, and I actually like that it needs to pass that, that way nothing just sounds like MIDI. I'd personally like to have a section where it just has the whole Multi-Man Melee 1 part, but yeah, I'll see how I can go about stripping each part to fit or change from the original. I'll give the remix you posted a listen. :)

I side with timaeus222 on this one; I think the remix would need some variation, something new and fresh after a while. Expanding on that part could be a good way of doing so (but don't listen to me, I'm new to this :wink: )

I think the voice is a nice addition, when used in a transition like it is here.

As for other comments, I know this may just be the genre, but I personally would have liked more variation, especially after 1:12. Maybe a new instrument might do the trick?

New or not, all criticism is important to me, that way I can make the best out of this track. I liked the Captain Falcon "Hooyah!" sound and then the Samus Charge Shot sound, then I got a little crazy with voice overs and thought, "Maybe adding the narrator's voice here would sound nice," because at that part the guitar just goes 1, 2, 3, 4 with the kick. I'll have to hear what 1:12 sounds like, I woke up and can't remember. xD I take all of your guys' advice, though. So thanks a lot! :)

I can't remember where on the site I read about realism, and I actually like that it needs to pass that, that way nothing just sounds like MIDI. I'd personally like to have a section where it just has the whole Multi-Man Melee 1 part, but yeah, I'll see how I can go about stripping each part to fit or change from the original. I'll give the remix you posted a listen. :)

Yeah, I guess it's more of an implied thing, but I'm sure there's probably something in the recent Judges Decisions forum that mentions realism. It's kind of embedded in this:

5. Production

1. Submissions should be cleanly and clearly produced.

• Recordings should be reasonably free of distortion, hum, clicks, pops, or other unintentional audio artifacts.
  • Volume levels should be normal compared to the average recording.

2. Production must show significant attention to sound quality, mixing, mastering, and utilization of effects.

• Synthesized and sampled elements must be reasonably sophisticated. <------ Sounds like it's this part

• General MIDI sounds from low-budget soundcards are not sufficient when superior samples are available online for free.

• Overusing common presets, relying heavily on prerecorded loops, or employing nothing but basic tones or "chiptunes" is discouraged.

• Instrumental and vocal performances should be recorded clearly. Performances should be well-executed with regard to tone, pitch and rhythm.
  • Submissions should be mixed with regard to volume, panning, and effects so that individual elements are clear and an appropriate sense of space is maintained.

Edited by timaeus222