Palpable

previous decision

Remixer name: Bluelighter feat. XPRTNovice

Mail: ;

ID forum: 30998; 48347

Game & Songs: Asterix GB – Helvetia & Title Screen & Secret Level

Album Project: The Game Boy 25th Anniversary ReMix

Composer: Alberto Jose Gonzalez

Interpreter: Joe ZIEJA (flute; clarinet; saxophone)

(Link: the precedent links are no longer available and I didn’t find other links on Youtube. Please contact me if you need original music also for a RESUB)

Hi OCR!

The album project was for me the opportunity to make new version of this mix.

For this one, I used better samples for orchestra and drum parts;

And above all Joe recorded for me some instruments on the melodic line (flute, clarinet and saxophone). He really helped me to get a more refreshing version of these melodies. So thanks to him!

I hope you’ll enjoy this version :)

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Aahh, it pains me to keep rejecting this submission, which has come a very long way. This is the best version yet, certainly. I love how you keep further humanizing the articulations, and having Joe play live parts really adds a lot of expression. However, those drums still just aren't working. They don't sound like they are even in the same space as everything else, and they're way too plodding. Personally, I don't think a rock kit has the right sound for what you're trying to do, and an orchestral kit might work better. The coda is a little better in this version, though it still sounds a little out-of-place. But pay heed: the drums are the last element that need to be fixed for me. With a kit that works into the mix better and isn't so plodding, you have a pass from me.

NO (resubmit)

Aahh, it pains me to keep rejecting this submission, which has come a very long way. This is the best version yet, certainly. I love how you keep further humanizing the articulations, and having Joe play live parts really adds a lot of expression. However, those drums still just aren't working. They don't sound like they are even in the same space as everything else, and they're way too plodding. Personally, I don't think a rock kit has the right sound for what you're trying to do, and an orchestral kit might work better. The coda is a little better in this version, though it still sounds a little out-of-place. But pay heed: the drums are the last element that need to be fixed for me. With a kit that works into the mix better and isn't so plodding, you have a pass from me.

Ditto for me, so I'll echo Palpable's comments. I thought the soundscape was also on the muddy side, but it did allow the instrumentation to blend together more. If you get the drumkit sounding like it's part of the same soundscape and the writing becomes more creative & less plodding, this would be much more likely to be a winner.

NO (resubmit)

The kick drum is the worst offender here. This really needs a soft orchestral-type bass drum. The snare is more ok but should be softened, possibly with a different sample, especially some of the harder hits. The xylophone bothers me too, as every strike is the same velocity, and those fakey runs really stick out when the xylophone is exposed.

The writing is a bit blocky, but still this would most likely pass imo with the drum corrections and a few velocity variations in that xylophone.

NO (resubmit)