Getting into recording. I have some questions on "hardw

Alright, so I'm starting to get interested in doing some vocal recordings, and I know so far that I need:

-Mic (of course)

-Preamp

-Better Soundcard

So here's what I was thinking of going with.

For the mic, I was a little undecided, seeing as I'm new to this and don't know what would be considered "a good deal" or a good buy. I've heard people like to use Shure microphones, but any more info on that would be great.

For the Preamp, well... I'm wondering whether I'll actually need one. The soundcard is going to most likely be the Emu Proteus X, but if you think I'll still need a preamp for recording, should I go with something like Tube, or what?

Thanks.

Yeah, pretty much :P Oh well. I guess I shouldn't have ignored the search function.

Still, would anybody mind taking a quick look at my list of what I'm planning on picking up, to help me incase I pick up something I really don't need? XD

-Proteus X

The Proteus X is no recording device, it's a rompler bundled with a recording card from Creative Professional. And here it can be the 0404 up to the 1212M.

-SM57

Solid dynamic microphone. For vocals I still recommend large membran condenser microphones over dynamics any time though.

-Studio Projects VTB-1

Never heard of it, but Line6 and Behringer are also worth a look.

Again, I'm sorry about this.

More via the search function, and the posted links to specific related topics. I guess your questions are answered now.

The Proteus X can't be used for recording? Well, alright then. I'll take a look at the 0404 then.

When you say a large membrane condenser mic... Would something similar to the SM58 be better for that? I'm planning on doing vocals, yes, but I want to be able to get good quality recordings on other things too (instruments, random objects ie: rain, glass, tapping, cracking, basically just any sound in general). Is the SM57 good enough for doing a wide range of things? (I hear it's good for snares :P)

I've heard about Behringer before, and I'll be sure to look into, as well as Line6. Any personal preferences?

Thanks.

EDIT:

Alright, I've done some revision to my list. I think this stuff might work better for me?

-Emu 0404

-SM57

-Tube Ultragain Mic200 (By Behringer, but I'm not sure how good it is really. It's cheaper than the other one, at only $70 CAD)

When you say a large membrane condenser mic... Would something similar to the SM58 be better for that? I'm planning on doing vocals, yes, but I want to be able to get good quality recordings on other things too (instruments, random objects ie: rain, glass, tapping, cracking, basically just any sound in general). Is the SM57 good enough for doing a wide range of things? (I hear it's good for snares :P)

The SM58 is essentially the same thing as the 57; They're both dynamic microphones (not condensers). Examples of condenser mics are M-Audio's Luna and Solaris models, to name a few fairly inexpensive ones I know to do a good job for the money.

The difference between dynamics and condensers is that condensers require a power source (either Phantom power or a battery) to work, are more sensitive, tend to be more expensive and can break if you drop them hard. Condensers, at least in my opinion, tend to pick up a much better sound; But a few merits of dynamic mics is their durability, and the decreased sensitivity is good when you don't want to pick up certain noises (a really good condenser can record your stomach growling).

Condensers work well for a lot of things. You mentioned rain; A condenser would definitely be much better for rain than a dynamic, as they don't suffer so much (and can even benefit) from space between it and the sound source.

Heh, and of course the Solaris would happen to cost about $300 more than the SM57.... *sigh* Well, I'll keep looking I suppose. (And the Luna is a bit cheaper, but I mean... still... $300 for a mic is a bit out of my range).