80's-90's Synths

So I'm looking into getting some old analog synths because I have a serious obsession with the synth sound of the 80's and 90's and although I know how to get that sound out of plugins I have and can buy, I am one that loves to go with the real deal, and with what I've found so far, getting some of these analog synths used are actually not cheap (for being vintage analog synths hahaha)

A few examples of my obsessions include the more FM stuff, including that heavy video game sound (I am a FREAK for the Genesis sound) and if any of you remember Ripple Dot Zero... well there's more of that guy's stuff here: https://soundcloud.com/simon-st-lenhag He's a genius. I love him and one of my more recent inspirations.

So I looked at what he was using and the only thing that he listed was a Juno G, though he also said stuff about Yamaha synths (which I love) but I haven't found any specific synths that he uses. The Juno G is actually fairly new; the initial release was '05 and the Gi was released in '10. So again, it's obviously possible to get that old sound out of new synths (so long as you've got a synth that will do that for you haha) and I'm thinking about getting a Juno Gi but there's always more magic to being able to find a deal on one of those old synths.

Another one that I would love to have is the Jupiter 8, which a few people have suggested to me. I just found this demo this person did and it's not absolutely mind-blowing but it still got me drooling:

So yeah. Just wondering if anyone else knows where I could find some of these or if any of you have good suggestions. This obviously could potentially be useful information for others, but I personally would just love to know what you all are thinking or any synths you may know. I've already found a bunch of Yamaha's and--just like how a Yamaha would be, used or new--they're usually on the very pricy side. Anyway, all of that said, what do you humans out there have to say.

Not too shabby.

Unfortunately... sigh... Logic Pro works TOTALLY fine for me up until these moments. This is when I need Pro Tools. I would have to get a VST-to-AU (which is another 100 bucks or so down the drain) for it to work. Logic doesn't take anything but AU since Logic Pro 9 and it's really stupid. One of the dumber moves on Apple's part.

Oh Boy! I can talk about old analog synths for hours on end and never get bored.

If we're talking emulations, Tal has some of the most accurate roland synths I've ever heard. The Bassline-101 is a great emulation of the classic SH-101, and his U-NO-LX does the Juno-60 equally as well. He also has some great free versions of these on his site.

I'd also check out Korg's Legacy series Which has a great MS-20, Mono/Poly, and PolySix. The Wavestation plugin has some great FM sounds too.

Memorymoon Also has some great emulations of analog synths, although they are made with synth-edit, and they are a little old, don't let that fool you. These still sound great! Especially the CS-80 emulation, which is way better than Arturia's if you ask me. Plus his plugins are very affordable.

Another one that I would love to have is the Jupiter 8, which a few people have suggested to me.

The Jupiter 8 is just wonderful, sadly I haven't found a plugin that really does it justice yet, although the Arturia Jupiter 8V does come close at times.

And finally U-He's Deva, which is very pricey, but I have heard nothing but amazing things about it, it does a great Minimoog, Juno-60, Jupiter 8, and MS-20, and is very versatile. If you have some cash this is a great one to check out.

Now if we're talking real deal here. I'd say a great synth to track down is a Roland SH-101, due to them still being very cheap, and being able to produce so many great sounds. The Jupiter 8 is also good, although very expensive, same with the Yamaha CS-80 (which is worse because it's also unbelievably heavy).

The Yamaha DX7 is pretty much the pinnacle of FM synths, also very easy to find, and very affordable. It's hard to program though, so get ready to look up some guides. The Roland D50 is also something to look into due to it's unique character.

If we're able to go more modern, Moog's Sub Phatty is amazing sounding, and has that "moog" character that their synths are known for. If you can't afford a real deal Minimoog, this is a great 2nd place for me. Korg also has the MS-20 mini out now, which is very similar to the late 70's synth, and due to it being new is a lot easier to find, and much better on your wallet.

Hope you got some good info man!

Thanks man!

Yeah actually I may be inheriting a DX-7 from my father here soon which I'm both excited and sort of dreading for its infamous impossible interface. But if I actually can learn some stupid science, maybe I can figure the thing out hahahaha I've used that DX-7 plenty of times and still, of course, struggle like crap with the monster.

I'd love to get a Jupiter 8 for real but boy yeah, I was just looking and those things are expensive. The CS-80 is legendary because it was used in stuff like "Rosanna" from Toto. I mean the other synths mentioned have been used in famous stuff but I mean... it's Toto. :-P Yeah, that thing's gotta be so freaking expensive too and it's huge. If I was a millionaire, I'd have all of them but there's definitely no way I'm getting a CS-80. Only in my dreams. xD

I am definitely looking more into getting physical, real synthesizers as opposed to plugins, especially because of what I brought up with timeaus... I'm limited to stupid AU which is a seriously tight limit. I need Pro Tools so bad hahahaha

EDIT: Note that I do have the Kontakt sampler or whatever it is in Logic. I've never used it; I just downloaded it just in case. I should probably take advantage of it. Hahaha Also the Korg stuff looks AU-compatible. May bookmark it.

Edited by Garrett Williamson

And finally U-He's Diva, which is very pricey, but I have heard nothing but amazing things about it, it does a great Minimoog, Juno-60, Jupiter 8, and MS-20, and is very versatile. If you have some cash this is a great one to check out.

I've actually tried the demo version of it, and man is it RAM-heavy. As long as you don't mind that, then come to think of it, that's another one that I would have suggested. Its filters are really good. In fact, Hans Zimmer and Howard Scarr worked together on a soundbank for Zebra2 called Dark Zebra, and actually programmed Diva's filters into Zebra and distributed the mod. :D

Edited by timaeus222

I've actually tried the demo version of it, and man is it RAM-heavy. As long as you don't mind that, then come to think of it, that's another one that I would have suggested. Its filters are really good. In fact, Hans Zimmer and Howard Scarr worked together on a soundbank for Zebra2 called Dark Zebra, and actually programmed Diva's filters into Zebra and distributed the mod. :D

If you look at the bottom, turn the "Accuracy" parameter to "Draft". On most presets, it's turned to "Great" or something, this kills the CPU. Once, I had a single pad take out my entire Core i7. I turned it to Draft and the patch sounded pretty much the same at like 10 times less processing power.

i ordered an arturia microbrute on pure gut feeling. it's one tiny, cheap, but good sounding and well built synth. easy to recommend that one.

today seems a great time to get into analog stuff, good amount of affordable synths coming out. there's the new novation bass station, which is a bit more costly but supposedly very good too. then there's the korg volca stuff, which is priced at ultra entry level. not my cup of tea build-wise but the more the merrier.

i'd find a good synth shop and take a day off there.

• 3 weeks later...

80s - 90s synths, eh?

Well I don't have an exhaustive list, but here are some real hardware synths you could check from that era.

Yamaha

DX-7/DX-7S/DX-7IID/DX-7IIFD

FS1R

TX-802

TX-816

TX-81z (I personally have two of them and love them)

AN1x

Roland:

Jupiter 4/6/8

Juno 6/60/106

JP8000/8080

SH-101

TB-303

TR-606/707/808/909

JD-800/990

Alpha Juno I/II

D-10/20/50/70

MKS series (there are a lot)

JX-3P/8P/10P

Korg:

MS-10/20/50

Poly 61/61Mc

Poly 800

Polysix

Mono/Poly

M1

Trident

DW-6000/8000

DS-8

And there are a ton more. That is more or less what I can recall from memory. But there is also stuff like the E-MU stuff, Sequential Circuits, Oberheim, ARP, Ensoniq, Akai, Fairlight, Jen Electronics, Linn electronics, Moog, Oxford Synthesizer Company, Waldorf, Synton, Siel, and PPG. At least that is what I can remember for companies. There are seriously a ton of synths from around that time frame. You just have to explore the wonderful world of synths.