The 2014 Shining Force II 20th Anniversary Mix Drive

Eino Keskitalo

WE'RE DONE!

edit: Podcast here! First block starts around 31 minutes in and the second around 1:17:30. But you do want to listen to the whole show ;)

We set out to honour the soundtrack of the Shining Force II in time for its 20th anniversary of the NA release, and we have done it! So many thanks to everyone who stepped up to help out! There were also many who wanted to join in but couldn't - thanks for their support too and I hope you all can catch the SEGA RPG SPECIAL on Sega Mixer Drive! Rexy's show this Friday is all about the Sega RPG series and this is where our tribute will be featured. The show is on Friday 17th at 9PM UK time (1PM PDT / 4PM EDT / 10PM CET) on RadioSEGA! https://www.radiosega.net/listen/

Here's the list of tracks:

The Audio Sprite - Wandering Warriors - done!
Eino Keskitalo & Tuberz McGee - Castle Theme - Not too bad!
Eino Keskitalo - Wandering Warriors TECHNOMANGA - Finished? 2014/10/10
bitlegs - Shrine (Bitlegs Vision Questing) - on soundcloud!
HoBoka - Devastation - done!
Supercoolmike - Water Goddess Mitula - https://soundcloud.com/the-game-to-be-retitled/supercoolmike-sanctuarywater-goddess-mitula
Supercoolmike - Last Moments - https://soundcloud.com/the-game-to-be-retitled/supercoolmike_marching_disasterlas_moments
Esperado - Water Goddess Mitula - done!

Also check out:

People's Remix Compo round 277 with arrangements of Wandering Warrior by gercr & HoBoka
Meat 'n Potatoes remix compo round 23 with Water Goddess Mitula as the source - FOUR arrangements! Won by Chernabogue
People's Remix Compo round 280 with the Town Theme as the source - gercr is the sole competitor & winner with a cool fusion-y take on the theme

using instruments & style of the soundtrack

--------------------- old stuff below: ---------------------------------

WELCOME AND JOIN THE SHINING FORCE!

SFII-titlescreen.png?dl=1

This is a rally to get people to make arrangements of
before the 20th anniversary of the NA release of the game (19th October 1994). The game is a great, light tactical JRPG and for my money the soundtrack is easily one of 16-bit Sega's greatest. There are no mixes from it on OCR (and only four from the Shining series in general). It could really use some more appreciation!

For an idea how to make an event out of it, I've talked to Rexy - who hosts Sega Mixer Drive on Radio Sega, and she has agreed to highlight Shining Force 2 music on the show near to the anniversary date (Friday 17th October I guess?). She noted the scarcity of fan arrangements of Shining series music, and would certainly welcome any new ones that could be produced! I enjoy Sega Mixer Drive, and the couple of OCR album listening parties I've attended have been a lot of fun, especially with the IRC chat room interaction. A few people putting together some tunes and coming to join the chat for the show will make it a fun event!

This is aiming to be a fairly relaxed and a low-stress drive. At the same time, there's only a couple of months to the anniversary date. This should give a nice tight timeframe, I know those are good for me and I hope you agree! It's worth to mention were not aiming for OCR standards here - in production or arrangement criteria - so don't feel like you have to be a posted ReMixer to join. You can also do a nice good straightforward cover of a source tune. It'll of course be Rexy's call if she wants to air each tune on the show!

This is not an album project (or really a project per se). I'll however be happy to keep track of everyone's progress here, provide feedback on tracks (post on the workshop forums or PM me!), or collaborate if you want drums sequenced, tracker-style synths or modest live-ish bass guitar or guitar! I'll also do my best to contact people who might be interested - feel free to point this thread to musicians and fans you know who love the game and its music!

If you want to join in - and why wouldn't you - just announce it here (or PM me) and I'll add you below. Once you know a source you'll be rearranging, tell me (thread or PM) and I'll add it. If you want feedback from me, again PM me. I also encourage to post it on workshop forums - the tracks don't need to be kept secret (unless you want it so yourself) - we're just making tracks in time for the NA release anniversary! The date when the piece should be ready for the show is Monday, 13th of October. Also, don't worry if you want to do a track someone else is already making. Just pick the track you want to do.

(If you're wondering, why is this not an album project? 1. I think it's very unlikely it'd be done and out in time for the anniversary, or even in 2014, 2. I don't want to run an album project right now, but I felt I could put this onto the table and 3. if the turnout is good etcetera, who knows what this'll build into later!)

tl;dr: YOU. REARRANGE SHINING FORCE II MUSIC BEFORE MID-OCTOBER. THERE'LL BE AN INTERNET RADIO SHOW.

TRACKS

Here's a Youtube playlist for the soundtrack:

(I'm leaving the shortest ditties/cues out)

Places, Plot & People

- kind of a "lead theme" for the game, pops up in lots of sources

- so good!

- same as Mitula's theme without the flute lead
- pick this instead of Eleven town :)

Battle Themes

- the scary battle theme
- basically the main theme of the game; plays in map/overworld sections and during several battles

Attack Themes

- boss attack theme

Short Ditties

STATUS OF THE DRIVE

Mixer -- Source -- Status

The Audio Sprite - Wandering Warriors - done!
Eino Keskitalo & Tuberz McGee - Castle Theme - Not too bad!
Eino Keskitalo - Wandering Warriors TECHNOMANGA - Finished? 2014/10/10
bitlegs - Shrine (Bitlegs Vision Questing) - on soundcloud!
HoBoka - Devastation - done!
Supercoolmike - Water Goddess Mitula - https://soundcloud.com/the-game-to-be-retitled/supercoolmike-sanctuarywater-goddess-mitula
Supercoolmike - Last Moments - https://soundcloud.com/the-game-to-be-retitled/supercoolmike_marching_disasterlas_moments

-- Other stuff:

People's Remix Compo round 277 with arrangements of Wandering Warrior by gercr & HoBoka
Meat 'n Potatoes remix compo round 23 with Water Goddess Mitula as the source - FOUR arrangements! Won by Chernabogue
People's Remix Compo round 280 with the Town Theme as the source - gercr is the sole competitor & winner with a cool fusion-y take on the theme

using instruments & style of the soundtrack

ps. Anyone who knows good SF2 arrangements out there - doujin especially (since I have no clue) - feel free to post em in this thread! Edited by evktalo
done! + podcast link

(practically the main theme of the game) is now the source for People's Remix Competition round 277!

The source has great melodies going for it, but also some delicious compositional complexity. I believe many different approaches can be taken for several kinds of enjoyable results! As a bonus prize, I have pledged to gift the winner a copy of the game on Steam. I look forward to hearing people's entries!

• 3 weeks later...

I really like the Symphonic Suite of SF II OST, especially this:

it catches up the sanctity of the ancient gods and evil forces pretty good, such as volcano, Mitula, Zeon. Solemnly and massive, while still being near to the original. Maybe an inspiration.

• 2 weeks later...

The Shrine track is pretty awesome, bitl3gs! I love that stretching ambient feel.. it sounds like you use & manipulate the original audio quite a bit, which is really neat. For me it's also quite refreshing since I listen to OCR-style game music stuff and also think in those terms when arranging myself. Certainly will be listening a lot more of your stuff!

Many thanks to HoBoka for grabbing the Devastation theme! It's the game over theme unless I'm gravely mistaken. I'm looking towards the results!

I'm pretty happy with my Wandering Warriors C64-techno remix, and have gotten a good response from it - I want to make a few tweaks and call it done, and move on to arranging the Castle theme at the start of the next month. I'd love to see some more people doing some tracks, and will send a few more calls out, but things are looking pretty good already!

since I'm doing the Water goddess Mitula in MnP, I wish to join and make a better version of the song for this project cuz I have so many ideas that it probablylly won't be accepted in MnP.lol

Also, I have been listening to other tracks in this game and was wondering if it is possible to make more then one remix track. If not I'll just stick with the water goddess.

Welcome, welcome Supercoolmike! :) Yeah, it is perfectly acceptable to mix many themes together, mix more than one source separately, mix sources other people have already claimed.. basically, feel free to do what ever you find inspiring in the context of Shining Force II music, as long as it is a remix, cover, rearrangement, reinterpretation, etc of the music from the game.

edit: Just keep in mind the deadline for the Sega Mixer Drive show is 13th of October!

And yeah, the source for the Meat 'n Potatoes round #23 is

. I'm pledging to enter the next round and make the winner's source pick into an eventual OC ReMix submission. So go compete in the name of Shining Force! :) Edited by evktalo

wip submitted. It's pretty rough, but it's something lol.

Welcome, welcome Supercoolmike! :) Yeah, it is perfectly acceptable to mix many themes together, mix more than one source separately, mix sources other people have already claimed.. basically, feel free to do what ever you find inspiring in the context of Shining Force II music, as long as it is a remix, cover, rearrangement, reinterpretation, etc of the music from the game.

edit: Just keep in mind the deadline for the Sega Mixer Drive show is 13th of October!

And yeah, the source for the Meat 'n Potatoes round #23 is

. I'm pledging to enter the next round and make the winner's source pick into an eventual OC ReMix submission. So go compete in the name of Shining Force! :)

Glad to know my compo is used to help promote this game's ost as it is dyno-mite (misspelt on purpose). I may tackle another track, as well, after I do the Death theme.

Edited by HoboKa

is there a specific way u want these files to be named, or i don't have to worry about that here.

I also just saw that the prc 280 is the town theme. this one hella of a time for SH2 right now.lol

-Edit-

Nvm. found my answer.lol

hers the song

https://soundcloud.com/the-game-to-be-retitled/supercoolmike-sanctuarywater-goddess-mitula

Edited by Supercoolmike

Short comments: I think that sounds fantastic. I like the reinterpretation of the original material, I like the pacing and dynamics of the piece (nice tempo changes for instance). There's maybe some room for polishing in humanizing the wind lead (I don't have any ideas for that) and the more prominent piano bits (where f.e. lowering the velocity of every other note/thing could make it more natural (and interesting)).

In any case, I thought you did really great - the mood is not far removed from the original, but there's a lot going on that makes the arrangement its own. Quick turnaround too! Love the intro, the static & vibraphone/sine wave style instrument reminds me of early electronic music and stuff like that.

The MP3 I could download from Soundcloud was a bit low quality it seemed!

hey guys, decided to make another song from this list. I did the "Last Moments" song, and I tried to make the song a lil dark since it sounds like someone was gonna die in the game ( I never played the game so idk).

https://soundcloud.com/the-game-to-be-retitled/supercoolmike_marching_disasterlas_moments

I didn't want to announce about doing a song, cuz i didn't want to flake out of a song after saying I would do it. For instance, i was going to do the prc 280, but then after I was remixing I just wasn't feeling it and decided to pass on it. So i'm kindas glad I didn't say anything over there.lol.

• 2 weeks later...

All right! PMs sent with feedback. I've got to say, this drive has grown quite nicely and I'm pretty happy with the progress! I'm already highly looking forward to the show.. there's some yet unannounced developments going on, maybe they'll stay a surprise.. I hope it all comes together!

PRC280 with the Town Theme concluded with gercr as the only participant, with a tune that has a cool fusion-y approach. It looks like it's going to be a collab between him and me to finish it!

MnP23 is in the voting stage, and there are four quite solid entries for Water Goddess Mitula.. or should I say.. fluid entries! ..not quitting my day job.

Less than a week to go! If you're able to whip up something quick... doooo iiit! We're pretty good on target, got a bunch of good tunes & I'm happy, and another bunch in the works, should be good. I need to find the time for a couple of tunes.. yeah!

Here's something I want so share: Txai did cool Shining Force II homage with the game's instrument set, and it's beautiful, cool, original and yet would fit very well in the game. Here,

- there's a download link too in the description.