Games that All Children Should Play

I know I'm a fanboy of the game and some might say it's "too complicated" or some BS like that for kids, but Fire Emblem: Awakening. Reason being it is one of the few games that does not trivialize human life. It matters when a character dies. Unlike GTA V, which most six year olds that I know play.

Ratchet and Clank...because Ratchet and Clank.

and I would also suggest Lara Croft and The Guardian of Light and upcoming Temple of Osiris. Because these simple games force you to play with another human being actually sitting beside you instead of swearing at faceless enemies online in Call of Duty and omfg it actually makes you work together as a legitimate team.

Mario. Just, Mario. I don't care how long he's been around. I don't care what anyone thinks. Mario.

Heck, introduce little kids to the classic stuff. I honestly think they may appreciate more if they start with the old stuff. It seems to have worked on me and my younger siblings. I was born during the 32-bit generation, but I first played NES and SNES games. SNES, of course, wasn't out of style when I was little either. It would be like the Wii is to us today while the Wii U is out. But then I played a lot of N64 and was a freak for the GameCube and PS2 when they were brand new and boy I can tell you, my childhood was probably the best thing ever. Some may disagree, but seriously. Freaking GameCube and N64 made my life.

I'd say Mario and the ole Sonic. Not the new Sonic. Don't feed them anything poopy. But if I were to be trying to get younger kids into games, that would be it.

But these are 10-12 year olds. So help me, if they are playing Call of Duty...

I'd keep kids away from senseless violence and sexualized/stereotypical portrayals in video games, so basically anything Mario where your main goal is to murder a bunch of creatures for no reason to find the cute girl at the end. That extends to Kirby's Epic Yarn where the goal is to basically kill enemies even though they can't hurt you.

It might be cute, but it's teaching the wrong lessons. 8O

Unlike GTA V, which most six year olds that I know play.

I hope you don't take offense at my saying that those 6-year-olds must have horrible freaking parents. . . Because I just said it. . . Sorry.

and I would also suggest Lara Croft and The Guardian of Light and upcoming Temple of Osiris.

Wait a minute. I haven't played Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light so please tell me if I am wrong. But I thought that game was full of very realistic violence. It doesn't sound like something kids should play. Am I incorrect?

I'll take your Ratchet and Clank and Fire Emblem suggestions though. ^_^

Edited by The Legendary Zoltan

I hope you don't take offense at my saying that those 6-year-olds must have horrible freaking parents. . . Because I just said it. . . Sorry.

Wait a minute. I haven't played Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light so please tell me if I am wrong. But I thought that game was full of very realistic violence. It doesn't sound like something kids should play. Am I incorrect?

I'll take your Ratchet and Clank and Fire Emblem suggestions though. ^_^

I wouldn't really call it "realistic" and there aren't any human enemies in the game. Mostly Goblin type things, giant insects, etc. Really, Raiders of the Lost Ark and the Indiana Jones films are way more gruesome and that's rated PG.

I recommend it based on the fact that it has some of the best teamwork puzzle solving ever.

I'd keep kids away from senseless violence and sexualized/stereotypical portrayals in video games, so basically anything Mario where your main goal is to murder a bunch of creatures for no reason to find the cute girl at the end. That extends to Kirby's Epic Yarn where the goal is to basically kill enemies even though they can't hurt you.

It might be cute, but it's teaching the wrong lessons. 8O

i'm pretty horrible at getting jokes so my assumption is that you're joking

I wouldn't really call it "realistic" and there aren't any human enemies in the game. Mostly Goblin type things, giant insects, etc. Really, Raiders of the Lost Ark and the Indiana Jones films are way more gruesome and that's rated PG.

I recommend it based on the fact that it has some of the best teamwork puzzle solving ever.

Goblins? Not what I expected to hear. I guess I was thinking of Tomb Raider Definitive Edition or something. I just remember that there was a Tomb Raider game recently for which the trailer shows Lara getting brutally beaten. At least that's what podcast hosts were saying. I didn't watch it myself. Sounds much better now. Thank you for the recommendation.

Sonic 1-Knuckles

Sonic 3D Blast

Turtix

Turtix 2: Rescue Adventures

Ristar

Tinhead

Rocket Knight Adventures

Sonic Advance 1-3

Sparkster (either version)

Any of the Spyro games (PS1, GBA, PS2, the Legend series, the Skylanders series, etc.)

Any Mario game (main series, the Kart games, the Party games, etc.)

The Wip3out series

OutRun

Top Gear 2 (two player simultaneous)

Dead Space 2

I really love the Zelda, Metroid and Mario games for the puzzle solving that they have in them.

Mario party, Smash Bros, and Mario kart are good for having fun with friends, whether you win or lose.

And Super Monkey Ball, because it's Super Monkey Ball, and, you have to be crazy skilled to complete it, so start young.

I really love the Zelda, Metroid and Mario games for the puzzle solving that they have in them.

Mario party, Smash Bros, and Mario kart are good for having fun with friends, whether you win or lose.

And Super Monkey Ball, because it's Super Monkey Ball, and, you have to be crazy skilled to complete it, so start young.

I like this

Contra, Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania. Mega Man if I'm feeling generous. Kids need to learn some frustration tolerance, not all this hand-holding self-gratification nonsense.

I've noticed that kids tend to not be bothered so much by difficult games. I played all of those and Street Fighter 2010 as a kid and don't think I ever lost my shit on them. I had my 8 year old cousins play oldschool games like that and they just laugh hysterically when they die. Kind of morbid.

It's usually older kids/teenagers and adults that rage. I know this one girl who is 24 years old and the sweetest person you'd ever meet...until you give her a video game. It's actually frightening how bad she freaks out when she dies. Or, my sister never used to get mad at video games when she was a kid, but the second I start winning in Street Fighter I get "Stop, you dickhole!" or "I seriously hate you!" and a string of profanity.

Pajama Sam was my favorite game as a wee tot. Cool environments, kid friendly, but still a good game to teach kids about patience and exploration. Plus Jeremy Soule did the OST, so you know the Music's gonna be good.

So much of this. Anything by Humongous Entertainment--Pajama Sam, Spy Fox, Putt Putt, Fatty Bear, Freddi Fish, etc., are pure gold. Plus, you can get 'em on Steam or the iOS store! I think Steam even has a deal where you buy the Humongous Pack, and even though not all the games are re-released on Steam yet, you'll get them when they do come out. No-brainer for me, at least.

And I can't tell you how many hours I spent playing HE sports games like Backyard Baseball/Football/Soccer/Basketball when I was a kid, too. So much fun.

Edited by Flexstyle