OCR03035 - *YES* WinBack 'S.C.A.T.'

Chimpazilla

ReMixer - RoeTaKa

Name - Alex Roe

UserID - 9374

Games Arranged - Operation WinBack

Arrangement Name - S.C.A.T

Songs Arranged - Since there wasn't a soundtrack release or track list I assume each track is named after the areas they were used. The main song is from the area 'Ground' and the next two songs are different versions of that based on your health that are used throughout the entire game. I'll just provide Youtube links of the soundtrack rip:

Ground:

Low Health:

Critical Health:

Game info -

Operation WinBack (EU Title) / WinBack (US Title)

Composers - Kaori Nakabai, Keiji Yamagishi, Tsutomu Hirasawa

Systems - N64, Playstation 2

Comments:

Operation WinBack was something I really looked forward to before it came out. It was riding off the success of Metal Gear Solid's release as an espionage game and was (at the time) exclusive to the N64. It hasn't held up well over time but it was a blast to play and really influenced cover based 3rd person shooters.

The first thing that really hit me in the game was the first area's music. It was just so cool, simple but infectious. I played the game recently and when I heard it again I thought I have to remix this, it needs a modern cinematic arrangement. To me, this song was WinBack's theme and I really wanted this remix to come across that way.

I get a little sad when I hear a great game tune that just doesn't have any remixes or coverage. Like Chaos Legion before, I feel like I gotta stick up for some of these games that I spent so much time with. I'm really happy with this remix for a bunch of reasons and I hope you guys like it too!

This mix sounds amazing. I would have DP'd this but I'm not sure about the source use. The ambiance is definitely there, the industrial drumming and cadence. I'm a bit concerned that the arrangement gets too liberal at times and would like other opinions. I will be listening to the mix and the sources quite a bit more myself.

The mix is really enjoyable. I particularly like the electro interlude in the middle. The production is about as good as it gets, my only crit is that here and there, the bass gets just a bit boomy. Not enough to cry about. Very easy YES vote given enough source.

edit 9/27/14: I've listened quite carefully to all three sources and did a source breakdown for myself. He has used more than enough source. I struggled to hear it initially, and it doesn't help that these sources are a bit sparce melody-wise. He has recreated the drum pattern from the ground source quite well using the cinematic drums which is great. He has woven the melody in and added his own interpretations beautifully. I especially like the strings, both legato and staccato sound great. If I include the drums-only sections as source use, I come up with 74% source. Now that I'm sure about the source use, I can give it the YES it deserves. Great mix!

YES

Edited by Chimpazilla

• 1 month later...

Man, that percussion pattern in the source tune really starts grating on you after a while.

Really liking the blend of electronic elements and orchestra. Very seamless blending of the two. Adaptation of the annoying (at least to me!) percussion from the OST was nicely handled.

Arrangement is well executed with plenty of source melody utilization as well as the aforementioned percussion use. This takes a bit of a conservative approach with the melody lines, while expanding upon the background elements and creatively developing the song progression.

One gripe I have is the brass stabs at 4:12 are pretty repetitive & buzzy. Variation on the note velocities would've helped here a lot. It also sounds like the track is starting to push the compression a little too hard and causing some minor pumping effects (this continues until the big hit at 4:51). It's not a dealbreaker to me as-is, mainly because it's limited to those 40 seconds. Still, something to be cognizant about in the future.

YES

Edited by Nutritious

Definitely getting Gregson-Williams vibes. Good stuff. You've taken the minimal source and expanded it greatly. The harmonic rearrangements you've mixed in are tight. Production is well done. I like how the pressure picks up as the mix progresses. Skillful control of the track's motion. No gripes from me. Keep on trekkin!

YES

Digging the industrial x cinematic vibe of this. Production wise this is spot on, great use of space. Lovely instrumentation in the strings and horns. You also have some great transitions into each unique section of your track.

Hardest part here is identifying all source usage. I can certainly hear it in your bassline and drums, but some stronger use would be great. It's a lot easier/quicker then for the judges to get you through the gate. But you have done a good job of taking a fairly minimalistic song and making it your own, and IMO more interesting than the original (which can only be a good thing).

After listening through I did notice some isolated parts came through a little hot (mainly during impact parts when the horns and strings came in together). Not something I'd no the mix for considering the high quality everywhere else, but something to consider for future mixes. No other problems caught my ear. Happy mixpost.

YES

Edited by Jivemaster