OCR02951 - Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening 'Melodies of Mabe Village'

djpretzel

Great job! I actually liked the mixing on the woodwinds and brass. It makes it sound like solos and duets in the midst of the ReMix. The only issues I had with this were that the drum kit felt a little out of place (or separate), perhaps from the reverb low cut, and that the guitar was a little mechanical when playing chords. Other than that, this has a serene quality to it, and the humanization shows.

Congratulations on finally getting the ReMix posted! I thought this would be a straightforward piano medley at first, but I was pleased to discover just how wrong I was and how creative this piece is. I had the same thoughts as Chimpazilla regarding the fadeout (bummer) but it doesn't detract from everything else going on. That piano slide at 5:02 was fun stuff. ;)

Thanks everyone! It has long been a dream of mine to be published on OCR, alongside the best of the best of game musicians (I'm looking at you, judges... ;) )

I come from a background of classical training (on oboe) and several years of doing MIDI transcriptions and arrangements for vgmusic.com (under a different name). This was my first attempt at producing a piece professionally--in fact, I wrote the arrangement first as a MIDI arrangement, and went through three phases of better and better samples before it was accepted.

This will probably be the last piece posted to OCR that was not made in a DAW! With Audacity, I didn't have access to realtime EQ, volume envelopes were all hand-drawn, and each track had to be rendered separately from Sibelius... (I have since learned my lesson, don't worry, you'll hear it in my next track!)

Thank you all again, enjoy the piece, and keep on mixing!

Wow....like seriously, wow! This is amazing. The production, the arrangement, the instrument choices...this is a wonderful ReMix, man. All that hard work paid off and this is a strong mix to debut with. Peaceful and full of natural life, I would say. I agree that the fadeout wasn't as great of an ending as it could have been, and normally fadeouts don't bother me, but in this context, a slow end or happy, definite end might have been better. But all that aside, this is terrific and I hope we hear more from you.