PRC277 - We Have A Winner - Celebrating 20 Years of Shining Force II

Bundeslang

The People's Remix Competition 277

PRCv11-17

Hello everyone and welcome to the People's Remix Competition!

Last round Evktalo en Gercr challenged each other, both got a first place vote, but Evktalo won since Trism, as winner of PRC275, had a vote that made the difference.

Source:

Hi Bundeslang! My source pick for PRC#277 is part of the initiative to get some Shining Force II remixes happening. 2014 is the 20th anniversary of the game's western release. Rexy hosts Sega Mixer Drive on Radio Sega (http://www.radiosega.net) and she's agreed to play some SFII arrangements on the show on 17th October, near the 20th anniversary date of the NA release. Any new arrangements from the game are especially welcome, and I hope some result from this round!

As the source for the round, I'm picking "Wandering Warriors" from the soundtrack. It's basically the main theme of the game, featured in the map section and several battles. It has great melodic content, but also some tasty compositional complexity. I believe it can be arranged in several different ways.

MIDI: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bwid4q1vinjls1h/ShF2Over.mid

As an added small incentive, I pledge to gift the winner a copy of the game on Steam!

Here's a link to the initiative thread on OCR forums: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?p=972284

cheers & thanks as always for running the compo,

--Eino

PRC277.jpg

Source: Shining Force II (GEN) - Wandering Warriors

MIDI or check the Vgmusic link in the quote above

Game Wikipedia

ThaSauce link: Click here to submit

To submit a song at the compo page a ThaSauce account is required.

If anyone has problems with registering or uploading the song to ThaSauce, please upload the song somewhere else and post a download link in the thread. I recommend Soundcloud, don't forget to allow downloads to enable me to upload the song at ThaSauce.

To register and submit, do the following.

1. Click the ThaSauce link.
  2. Click the 'You are not logged in' button in the upper right.
  3. Click on 'register' (at the bottom).
  4. Read the terms and click 'I agree to these terms'. If you don't agree with them, upload the song somewhere else and post a download link as mentioned above (by doing that, you allow me to upload the song at ThaSauce.
  5. Continue the process by filling in your information.
  6. A confirmation mail will be send. There might be some issues with it (meaning that you don't get it), if that is the case, upload the song somewhere else as described above.
  7. Login with your username and password, go to the mentioned page and submit the song. If you want submit two or more songs you can create multiple ThaSauce accounts or upload the song somewhere else and post the download link.

GOOD LUCK!

PRC instructions

1. Limitations at ThaSauce require your entry to be 20 MB or less in size. Length for length's sake and MIDI rips are not allowed (only as Bonus Mixes). If anyone has problems with uploading songs to ThaSauce let me know (in this thread) and post a download link to your song in this thread (so I can upload it to ThaSauce).
  2. Entries must be posted in the ThaSauce link by Monday August 18th 2014 at 10:59 am ThaSauce time (18:00 UTC, 19:00 GMT): check my signature (below) or the ThaSauce page for the exact time left.
  3. You may enter as many mixes as you like and work with as many people as you like on each mix. You are free to create a second ThaSauce account for that, it's needed to be able to upload a second remix. You can also upload it somewhere else and put a download link in this thread
  4. Do not make qualitative comments on an entry until the results of the vote have been posted in this thread.
  5. Mixers cannot vote for themselves but if they vote they recieve a free first place vote added onto their score.
  6. The winner of this round may select the source for PRC278.
  7. You can find the full rules list at this page as well.

Doulifee's PRC Archives! For information about the previous contests.

PRC ThaSauce Home Page!

There is a small extra price in this round: the winner gets a copy of the game on Steam!

Edited by Bundeslang

Yes! Thank you for getting the round up so quickly, Bundeslang!

Indeed, this is a bit of a special source selection. It is a great piece from a great soundtrack to a great game, and the timing is good too. I do think the source can be arranged in many fashions and I hope to see some entries! And don't forget the small bonus prize :tomatoface:

Hmmm... Oh, why not? I know I can't possibly compete with anyone else who may be entering, so all I have to do is redefine my conditions for victory to "submit a freakin' entry and not be stupid about it" and I'm good to go. Now comes the hard part of winning against myself.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope people are busy working on their entries. =) I wanted to throw in an additional little incentive: I pledge to enter the next round & work my entry into an OCR-evaluation passing piece! So the winner gets to pick the source for that. It might take a while - the Deus Ex mix I just got posted was from round 199... but it will happen.

Additionally, I've started my bonus entry: some techno with C64 samples. Sounding pretty strange already!

Welcome to the voting stage

The mixing stage is over. This round has 2 songs and 1 Bonus Mix. To vote, do the following:

- Visit the stated ThaSauce Page and listen to all the entries

- Scroll to the form at the bottom of the screen.

- Fill in the entries from first to second. Leave the third box empty, or fill in Evktalo's song (it should be possible now to leave boxes empty).

- State a reasoning for it.

- Participants are encouraged to vote and leave feedback. However, they may not vote for themselve. They get a free first place if they vote, so it doesn't matter for the results. They should fill in the other song in the first place box and leave the other boxes empty. Non participants are encouraged to vote to decide the winner and leave comments.

- Last but not least, since there are issues with editing scores, ignore the scores on ThaSauce after the voting stage, look in this thread to find out who's the winner of the round, after the voting stage. If for some reason it is not possible to leave boxes empty, fill in Evktalo's song in that place.

Evktalo has a vote that makes the difference in a tie.

You have until THIS Wednesday, August 20th 10:59 am ThaSauce time to vote, check the ThaSauce page for the exact time you have.

The winner may choose the source tune for PRC278.

Check the ThaSauce Page to vote.

If anyone have issues voting via ThaSauce you can vote by sending me a PM at Ocremix.

Edited by Bundeslang

Actually, I would like to secede the round to gercr as I feel it'd be unfair if I won since I did 0% reinterpretation. I still posted a vote, as it were, with some commentary.

Thank you HoboKa! More tracks please, let's have a competition!

I have uploaded my bonus track, since I don't think I have another moment before the deadline.

And np evktalo - someone's gotta keep the compo scene alive - being a compo host and all myself :D

Edited by HoboKa

Nice mix! And I was happy to see you included Pleiade's piece in there, I'm letting him know.

So you're that friend of him who asked him to join the compo in PRC130.:lol:

I selected most tracks in that genre or related, but also included some others. I only wanted at most two mixes of the same remixer and from the same round and I wanted it to be below 80 minutes.

I forgot to announce that I wasn't able to post the results on time, but here they are:

It's results time.

Total number of mixes - 2 (+1 Bonus)

Total number of votes - 5

Maximum Score - 15.

Evktalo did a nice bonus mix, but couldn't win this round as last rounds winner.

HoboKa got some Bonus Points by the ThaSauce system (otherwise I can't explain why the total is 13 at ThaSauce as I'm not able to edit scores and vote bonuses are not added automatically), but he didn't get any first place vote, except for Gercr of course.

He ends with 12 points, receiving the last place wooden spoon.

And the winner of PRC277 is Gercr by unanimous decision with 15 points.

Congratulations Gercr, you did a good mix and you are the winner. You may select a source for PRC278. Send your source to me (with a MID/MP3 file, otherwise send a second source with a MID file) by PM, other options are PM me @ ThaSauce or by e-mailing to bambombim@gmail.com (I prefer a PM @Ocremix).

You may select any source from any game, as long as it doesn't have an Overclocked Remix and it hasn't been on PRC before. Check it at the list:

http://sites.google.com/site/bambombim/prc

http://bambombim.googlepages.com/PRCRemixList.doc (also downloadable via the link above).

Send your source as fast as you can, but before this Friday, 22nd of August 2014.

You can find the votes with comments here:

http://compo.thasauce.net/votes/index/PRC277

Note that the results of the ThaSauce page are incorrect, since I'm not able to edit the scores anymore. However, the winner is on top.