OCR01478 - Ghouls'n Ghosts (C64) "Poltergeist Mix"

I think this is my favorite of the Dirge for the Follin tracks that have been completed thus far. Raw in the sound, of course, but even for people who don't like that, the arrangement is fantastic and builds upon the original while never straying too far from it.

All in all, a great track. In short: Binster, duh.

Wow. I was excited to see new stuff from Binster, and this didn't disappoint. I sounds better with every listen.

I can understand the complaints about it being slow to develop, but I think the pay off makes it all worth it. The oft-reference section at 1:50 is incredible, and I like the change up at 3:30 even better.

Great work, Binster!

Binster,

this is one of the best OCR remixes. In fact, I don't know how I missed a musician as talented as you, I've never heard any of your mixes before (but of course, I do tend to pick mixes of games I've played). Listening to this and then your Ico mix, I can honestly say that unlike most of the artists here who are developing and trying to figure out what sounds good, you have reached that level where you know exactly what you're doing; such control, vision, and mastery of your craft.

Now if I may hop off your metaphorical sac and talk about the actual mix here, if anyone thinks this is slow developing they are crazy. I'm not gonna do the whole song, but I'll do the first half. I'll divide it into stages.

Stage 1 0:00-1:12 builds a great anticipation about what this mix could have in store for us. At 0:46 you get a slight changeup and you think that finally the song's going to take off, but no, at 1:12 (Stage 2 1:12-1:49) we go back to the beginning with what Stage 1 established, this time with a beat and some more accompaniment, and then at 1:49 (Stage 3 1:49-2:24) we are hit with a killer beat that gets me pumped, and once again we return to the start and it follows a good formula, each even numbered stage a dynamic and sonic improvement.

I love this song, one of the best of the year, period. And I'm not just talking about VGM.

Binster, this is amazing. The instrumentation is so bizarre and sometimes these bursts come out of nowhere that shock and delight. The last minute and a half is a gradually heightening tour de force. I say much the same thing on the description I just wrote for this song on my music website. I hope you don't mind that I posted it up there.

I can't f-ing *wait* for Dirge for the Follin if this is the kind of work I can expect from it. Bravo, Binster. Keep up the great arranging work!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Binster, I'm a huge sucka for Chip, and I think you can do better. It's good; it's really good. It might even make the mixtape. And if this is a taste of things to come then I'm just gonna go wet myself right now.

But, you can do better. Switch the snare up a bit. Throw a filter-LFO on that badass grinder. Use some non-80s elements. Go Binster!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01478 - Ghouls'n Ghosts (C64) "Poltergeist Mix"