Zora's Domain

YoshiBlade

Original-

4:13 ( play-through, but needed atmosphere is key here)

The guitar is buried beneath most of the mix here and is virtually nonexistent, which is strange because i poured most of my work into the guitar only to get the most necessary, yet dispensable aspect of the song...seriously I had the drums and ele piano done in 3 hours, but the guitar took me 3 days to tweak. Im really struggling to find the sweat spot between "substantial and original" yet be "identifiable and dominant" which is where my second point begins, if there is something missing, that I can't driver could someone point me in a direction where it could be found, perhaps anyone who feels like this is a project they could be apart of? If one were to look a my willingness to collaborate, it would say something like "very interested" but it should say "desperately seeking to make substandard music, into standard music". Atmosphere, atmosphere, atmosphere is the name of this mix's game, musical atmosphere. Thank you for the time and the listen!

Edited by XPRTNovice
MR COMPLETE

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[MODREVIEW]

- SFX at the beginning is really full of all the frequency spectrum in not my favorite way and heavily weighted to the right side in the panning, which makes it really disconcerting to listen to. And it doesn't go away until almost 1:00 in to the song. Definitely needs to fade out way sooner.

- In general, the first 38 seconds could be compressed so that you get to the actual music quicker.

- The drums sound very...flat to me. Like there's just not a lot of dimension to them. I can't really hear if you applied really heavy compression or the drum patch you used just doesn't have enough oomph. Try layering different samples to get a drum sound.

- The vibe is cool; I like the washed away feeling that you get. But you have to be careful with how much you've got going on at once. At 1:50 it starts to get really saturated in the mids...and again, panned way too hard to the right. My ear was very tired after this section.

- The "dive" at 2:29 is really interesting. A great idea, actually, and very cleverly done; but I think you can do it better. The "splash" noise needs to come back in the mix a bit, either by volume or adding a touch of reverb (but with an effect that wide in the EQ spectrum that could be dangerous). Right now it feels too abrupt, and I might even choose a different splash...something that resonates for a minute, and then leaves behind the feeling of being underwater, rather than BAM transition.

- Again, the reintroduction of that SFX at 3:33 just doesn't work IMO...and it drops off way too suddenly. The piece itself could use a much smoother fadeout.

You've got some really cool ideas in here, very unique take on the source that I really like. It just needs some cleaning, I think. Best of luck.

[/MODREVIEW]

• 2 weeks later...

This post may be dead!!! Hand me that defibrillator....Clear!!

Retouched- https://soundcloud.com/yoshiblade1/water

So dat jump and dive....put some work in to that, what do ya think? So, the mids were determined to be out of place, can anyone out there narrow down exactly what the mid problem is? Im learning as i go so, the lingo is not yet native to me. So, the fadeout has been called abrupt ( and it is) however in keeping with the gameplay first motif, the water from Zora's Domain drains into Lake Hylia, I really want to keep that going underwater and being pulled to the drain, however if it's just not happening, I'm not opposed to nixing it, any suggestions? Thanks for all the help on this one XPRTnovice!!!

• 5 months later...

Posting in response to your PM:

You took care of all of the issues I had cited in the previous version. The noise at the beginning still sounds a bit more like pink noise than water to me, but the fact that it's so much shorter makes it easier to get in there and start enjoying the music.

I'm not totally sold on the way you edited the splash sound effect, but that's artistic. The first version I could tell what you were trying to do - dive under water, and the music EQ changes to reflect that. This doesn't sound like a splash, so I didn't "get the joke."

That's it. The ending is vastly better and smoother, and overall the mixing has tightened up considerably. This is definitely an example on how to take feedback and get better :)