*Results are in* MnP 21: Aleste 2 - Stage 1

HoboKa

Compo: MnP (Meat 'n Potatoes)

Round 21: Aleste 2 - Stage 1

title.gif

I tried to pick a source that's dear to me (a game from the MSX home computer I grew up with), but also one that I hope is accessible and open enough for some interesting interpretations. Eventually came up with the first level song of Aleste 2, a shooter for the MSX2.

-Jorito

Youtube

Midi

Starts: 15/08/2014

Ends: 29/08/2014 2pm Friday

Vote Ends: 31/08/2014 12pm Midnight Friday

Submit your remix Here when completed.

MISSION STATEMENT

The goal of Compo:MnP is to promote that "meat and potatoes" conservative approach to remixing: this includes the mood and composition of source tunes. It is up to the remixer to create their own personalization, or to simply give it a sound upgrade. Moreover, the compo is a great opportunity to hone your remixing skills and give video game music the respect that is due. A modicum of originality is recommended, but not required.

All competitors and voters must adhere to the rules stated within: Competition Code and Conduct *

MnP Instructions

1. Covers and Sound Upgrades are permitted.

2. As long as you can still capture the source tune's mood and around 75% of the notation, you'll be golden. If you're going to change the genre up completely, be sure to keep the previous statement in mind. For example, a source tune that is fast-paced and energetic that's remixed into a mellow/chill-out theme would be a hard sell. Please refer to the example tracks at the bottom to get a feel for what I mean. Or better yet, check out the submissions of previous rounds.

3. Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max).

4. Only 1 entry per participant.

5. Previous winner cannot participate, but can submit a bonus, as well as have a vote that counts 2x

6. Submission must be made specifically for this competition, otherwise it will have to be a bonus track. Taking an old idea of yours and heavily revising it is permissible.

Example Tracks:

FF7_SonOfChaos,

SMW_Monstrous_Turtles,

Hitman_Contract_Cleaner,

MISC/TIPS

- When picking a source tune, make sure it has a MIDI to make ppl's lives easier.

- In-game sound FX are permitted, so long as they don't comprise the whole track (i.e. replacing entire MIDI tracks with just sfx)

- Certain sad or moody source tunes don't have drums or percussion for a reason. So keeping it that way may be the easiest way to retain much of the original feel, such as

and
Edited by HoboKa

The midi link in the first post doesn't appear to work. Here is a link that hopefully works:

http://vgmusic.com/music/computer/miscellaneous/msx/T_AlesteIIMSX_MissionOneTheme.mid

Cheers for pointing that out, it's the exact same midi I originally posted.

If anyone needs another midi, you can also use this one: http://www.msx.org/downloads/music/midi-files/aleste-2-area-1

Yeah, there's not a lot activity yet. Hope it doesn't come to needing a second pick, it'd be quite a waste of a (IMHO) nice source track. Awell, at least I'm having lots of fun with my bonus track ;)

Don't worry, I am definitely going to submit unless something terrible happens :)

I've begun something. I always think it'll be easy to load up the midi and start piling up some sounds on it, but.. no. It's just weird, I think I'm much better off when approximating the source by ear and building up each instrument from that. With the midi, the "playing" is always quite clunky, whereas when you do it by ear and really sequence for the sound you have, it's much more natural from the start. Or something like that.. what's the experience of you folks?

Anyway, I'll have something together, and it's possibly quite interesting. I'll try to keep to the M-n-P spirit though!

I've begun something. I always think it'll be easy to load up the midi and start piling up some sounds on it, but.. no. It's just weird, I think I'm much better off when approximating the source by ear and building up each instrument from that. With the midi, the "playing" is always quite clunky, whereas when you do it by ear and really sequence for the sound you have, it's much more natural from the start. Or something like that.. what's the experience of you folks?

Anyway, I'll have something together, and it's possibly quite interesting. I'll try to keep to the M-n-P spirit though!

I'm the same way; I stray away from using MIDIs and just write by ear. MIDIs are more suited for the instruments they were originally written for, and so I write what I think best fits the instruments I choose.

Same here. I never use midis, mostly because it forces your thoughts in the same direction as the midi in stead of how I hear it in my head. So I always transcribe by ear. For the Aleste song I started with the chords, then the melody and after that I started improvising. First with the bass and the drums and then with the rest of the arrangement. Midi would just constrain my creativity and inspiration.

Midi does have its uses when you are having trouble transcribing very quick or complex passages tho, but that's more using it as a cheat sheet.

Yeah...transcribing by ear is a lot of trial and error, especially when starting up. I just prefer to use MIDIs or bum off other people for transcriptions :3 'cuz I'm lazy

Luckily we have tools and things such as midi files available nowadays. I'm old enough to remember recording a game song from my tv to my tape recorder and to transcribe it using endless play/pause/rewind cycles. You _do_ learn how to transcribe well and quickly tho, because it's such a pain to start with :P

I'm happy that this edition of the compo is going well, with an entry from Blaine already in, gercr and evktalo working on something and Jonathan will also chip in by the looks of it. Guess I don't need that second pick after all, 't was just off to a slow start ;)

For myself I did some more work on mixing my bonus track. Lesson learned: I don't suck at mixing, I just dislike doing it a lot. Guess I'd rather be composing and arranging in stead of endless tweaking with plugins 'n stuff...

I'm happy that this edition of the compo is going well, with an entry from Blaine already in, gercr and evktalo working on something and Jonathan will also chip in by the looks of it. Guess I don't need that second pick after all, 't was just off to a slow start ;)

For myself I did some more work on mixing my bonus track. Lesson learned: I don't suck at mixing, I just dislike doing it a lot. Guess I'd rather be composing and arranging in stead of endless tweaking with plugins 'n stuff...

Meh. I'm not too big on creating custom synth sounds on my plugins - depends on how accessible the plugin is. Though I do mess around with filter fx and the like a lot more than before. Maybe for a project track wherein I may actually care what the J panel thinks =p

Meh. I'm not too big on creating custom synth sounds on my plugins - depends on how accessible the plugin is. Though I do mess around with filter fx and the like a lot more than before. Maybe for a project track wherein I may actually care what the J panel thinks =p

I never cared for creating my own sounds and the elitism that comes with it. Every sound I'd want to use has already been created anyways, and better than I could do. So 99.9% preset user here, although I might tweak them at times ;)