OCR03081 - *YES* Sonic CD (US) 'A World in Motion (Super Peel Out Edit)'

Chimpazilla

ReMixer Name: DusK

User ID: 24328

Game: Sonic CD

Arrangement Name: A World in Motion (Super Peel Out Edit)

Song Arranged: "Sonic Boom-Opening Theme", "Sonic Boom-Closing Theme" (source names yanked from http://vgmdb.net/album/2292)

Platform: Sega CD

Composer: Spencer Nilsen

Release Year: 1993

Source (Opening Theme):

Source (Closing Theme):

Comments: I did this track for Temporal Duality. When I first heard the "Opening Theme" version, I was like, "I could totally punk this out." And then I heard the "Closing Theme" version and that sealed the deal, and I made my claim. I really tied to capture a lot of elements from both versions and bring them in; the pace, guitar riffs, and chorus vocal timings from the "Opening Theme" version, and the vocal harmonies and overall feel of the bass from the "Closing Theme" version. Slapped it into a gritty punk track with slightly distorted, gainy vocals, prominent bass, and crunchy guitars reminiscent of 90s punk bands, and called it a day. Week. Several months, actually. Enjoy. :)

opening theme

ending theme

• 1 month later...

I remember this one back during the Temporal Duality remix project, although I can see made some improvements since then. Some great guitar work as always from Dustin, with many licks and original solos throughout. Arrangement wise you're solid, and the source is here in droves.

Your vocals here are well done and decent enough. I have no major problems with them, considering the mix sits in punk territory. I would say that there is the occasional flat note here and there, but it is quite a hard song to sing and I think being in the punk genre it's certainly passable.

Production wise I like your use of panning for backup vocals and your leads. It's this kind of creative movement around the stereo spectrum that brings that extra level of quality. Everything is audible and well recorded.

YES

• 3 weeks later...

"Too cramped" was the first thought I had listening to the intro until :31. Although the mixing of the verses was OK, the densest parts during the choruses with vocals and some extra guitar layering (1:11-1:41, 2:11-2:50, 3:02-3:13) didn't sound great either due to both the crowding and the lyrics sounding too hot.

It's not clipping, and the arrangement and performances were fine, so I hate to sound like a grandpa, Dustin, but I felt like this needed more breathing room for the busiest sections. I know Phantasy Star II 'Take Turns' was loud & squished, but even there I felt like I could make out more than I could at times here. Not quite there yet close, IMO, but hopefully wouldn't be hard to address if this didn't make it as is.

NO (refine/resubmit)

Well it's not *quite* a sausage, but yeah this is one dense song! I'm not hearing overcompression. It's a very full mix, but I find plenty of separation between elements. The performances are good, vocal and guitar. Definitely some flat notes here and there as Jivey mentioned, but I'd expect no less from a punk song. I find the vocals fitting and well mixed/effected. Drums are punchy without overpowering the mix, drum writing gets a little repetitive at times. I see Larry's points and sure a teeny bit of eq and balance cleanup might be helpful, but I don't see it as an issue to hold this back. Cool, fun track.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

I think the mixing could be a lot cleaner, but I think it passes the bar. There is a decent amount of frequency bleed in a few areas, especially the drums, but I think it fits the punk aesthetic overall. I think spending a bit of time working on how your specific sounds meld together, and trimming things down a bit will give you a cleaner, punchier sound, and will overall improve your skills, but between arrangement and performance, this passes despite some production flaws.

Yes

Agreed with the opinions on things being a bit crowded overall. I think that while you could go and clean things up a bit it's at a point right now that is above the bar, though it's close.

The vocals have a lot of emotion in them, but I kinda wish they'd been a bit stronger. I feel like they don't cut very well into the mix, and using some multi-layers would have made a difference in their presence. That being said, I know full well that it isn't easy to do that, and the vocals work pretty decently as-is.

I think this is a very close call, and I'm willing to give it a pass. It's a fun track, and really expands well on the original in terms of style. Hope to hear more vocals from you!

YES (borderline)