OCRA-0007 - Super Street Fighter II Turbo: Blood on the Asphalt

I am probably going to be inserting this album's tracks into the Dreamcast version of SSF2T, and I wanted to see if the remixers who worked on the project are ok with this idea. I've done 3 other DC Music Replacement Projects before. I mean, I am going to be doing this for myself, regardless, but I am a bit hesitant about releasing such a thing openly. Some remixers might have an issue with it. You can read more about the idea and the plans here:

http://www.stevemv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=151#151

Also any suggestions are welcome. Like if you think I should try for a complete replacement, and use other SF2 remixes as well if needed. Should I also use the lyrical arrangements in this album, or would that not work well with a fighting game that already has characters screaming out moves and such?

I am a bit hesitant about releasing such a thing openly. Some remixers might have an issue with it.

That's fine for me...

My take is always the same: give me notification and credit, and you can do what you like. And if vocals are a problem, the instrumentals are at my site.

Yes! These tracks will be much more suitable for the game! Thanks! One big problem solved there.

And yes, as with my other DC projects, I do my best to give all credit in a text file with the cd image. As long as I just use this one album though, I'll simply link them to the project's site and OC Remix. Explaining which song went with what stage would be redundant in this case.

This may have been a huge waste of time. Turns out this game had some complicated protection that even ECHELON couldn't fully crack. I'm finding google results indicating that changing music on this game is a major challenge, and simply making a copy of a copy is hard too. This is getting into hex editing and crap and I know nothing about. Wasted 3 CD-Rs so far.

Replacing the music in the DC version with tracks from BOtA is the best idea ever.

Use the lyrical versions; we already know what the characters are shouting. ;)

I dunno. I think I'm sticking with instrumental. It's better if the stages are all that way. It would be weird to have only 2 like that.

I'm all for that idea. I realize that it'd be hard to incorporate my track, but if you want to, go crazy.

Who are you known as on the album? I don't see a track by you on it.

Feel free to use my track. Of course, credit where credit is due and all that.

I suspect what will bug me is that my track will be heard the least. After all, how many people can get a double perfect on Bison and get to fight Akuma?

Your's is in there though.

Right now, the only tracks I am leaving out are the three ending songs, and the ranking display, because the game's ranking display is only a 1 second song, heh. Should I use the ranking display somewhere else?

Replacing the music in the DC version with tracks from BOtA is the best idea ever.

Use the lyrical versions; we already know what the characters are shouting. ;)

I dunno. I think I'm sticking with instrumental. It's better if the stages are all that way. It would be weird to have only 2 like that.

You've never played Marvel vs. Capcom 2 or the Capcom vs. SNK series? Lyrics have been in fighting game stages for a while.

The trick in this case would be to have them at a low enough level so that they didn't run over the character voices and making extending the track with some instrumental portions so that it doesn't get too repetitive.

Hey were you the guy that put alternate tracks into the DC version of Marvel Vs Capcom 2, including the burly brawl track? That was excellent, made the game so much more enjoyable!!!

No I wasn't that guy. I did have that arranged version though. It was ok but that guy did a sloppy job. Some tracks had a second of silence at the start, and he didn't bother looping the adx files, so if the fight dragged on, you had silence to fight to, heh. I did the "Accurate" mixes on those two games. Check my site to more info and video examples.

Agreed.

The boss themes (Shin Akuma, God Rugal) ruled though.

I was going to mention that heh. Your Akuma mix is ok, but the one in CVS2 was just...flawless. You kind of had high expectations to meet on that one.

Anyways guys, 5th CD-R was a success. I have been playing it for an hour. I suck horribly at SF2 though, so I cant reach vega and such. But so far, I find no issues. I dont think I want to push my luck at this point. I finally got a working disc, so I think I am going to release this tonight on a torrent. I just need to run a couple more tests and try making a copy of a copy (to insure the downloadable CDI will work for people), and that will be that.

You've never played Marvel vs. Capcom 2 or the Capcom vs. SNK series? Lyrics have been in fighting game stages for a while.

And they were terrible. That's why I replaced the music in those games too.

I need to go off topic now

This is True Love We Makin' & Stimulation are two of the greatest pieces of music in a fighter, not to mention the awesomeness of MvC2 soundtrack, I hate you :)

Otherwise, gg on music replacing

Love it! I caught word of this project back when they were still looking for artists. (If I were good enough, I SO would've jumped on this!)

The first two tracks perfectly capture the classic arcade feel of the game. As soon as I heard those guitar riffs, I was taken back to those days of challenging complete strangers at a Pizza Hut. Ahh. Good times.

While Joshua Morse and Richter's "Wallstreet Monster" wasn't what I'd expect for Blanka, it's still really good. It's very mellow, but it's actually very reflective of Blanka's character after the series. Tamed and adjusted to society but there's still an echo of the beast within.

"I Don't Fight Boys" is great! Red Tailed Fox and Malcos made a refreshing take on the theme. They kept the original melody but incorporated a completely different baseline. I love the piano and organ solos and all the other elements that made Chun Li "jazztastic". (I don't care how gay that sounds.)

Oh yes! Definitley one of my faves! Vurez's "New Mexican Thunderbird" is one of the best on the whole album. The instrumentation and style are perfect! The guitars, the brass, the strings, even the whistles and chants! Hot damn! This track transported me and filled my head with images from "Tombstone", "Silverado", and the Alamo. (The place, not the movie. That thing was a piece of shit.) OCR's first remix of T. Hawk's theme is going to be impossible to beat!

Thank you Jose. How else can you make a remix that's a tribute to Dee Jay? Rap, stupid! I must say, you could not have picked a better was to convey the character's essence. Not bad for one of the sites first rasta style mixes. In a word, iree mon! (Sorry. Two words.)

"Tokyo Slapdown" is mostly just the original theme and a heavy baseline, but I like that minimalistic approach. After all, they say genius is in simplicity. I think the heavy base reflects our character very well. By the way V, what's he saying at 2:25?

Like "New Mexican Thunderbird", the instrumentation of "Reaching for Nirudha" is a perfect representation for Dhalsim. Along with the sitar, all the other classic Indian sounds are in here. But they're not overplayed or overdone until it's unbearable and just sounds like noise. I love the non-deterrent keychange too. Nice job Malcos!

Ehhhh. This is the only character theme that truely disappointed me. And I think the title's trying to compensate. The baseline and the synth are good, but what's up with the main melody being played by flutes? Did Guile visit Hobbiton or something? It's just not at all what I was expecting for the great Major. And only at 2:18 does the real army muscle I was waiting for come in. When listening, I literally screamed, "That's what I'm talkin' about!" But it's just some little solo that lasts less than a minute! Guile might be an army of one, but this time, he wasn't all that he could be. (Again, I don't care how gay that sounds.) One more thing. Would someone please explain to me that little 8-bit diddy at the very end?

"It's like a jungle sometimes!" It certainly is. Oh man. As soon as that ritalin-due snare kicked in on "Communist Jungle", I was reminded of the classic Toonami themes by Joe Vigil. Good times. Nice work, nesper. And I actually like the distorted flourish at the end.

Aw hells yeah! Another one of my faves! From his earlier contributions, I expected zircon to rock my socks and blast me to the back of my room. Zircon, you did not disappoint. You delivered in spades! Never has Fei Long rocked so hard. I love that beautiful breakdown at 1:36. When that came on, my mind instantly recalled images from "Memoirs of a Geisha". Yes, I know Fei Long's Chinese! This truley is a "Flying Heaven."

Listen. Can you hear it? There's somethin' funky goin' on here. Cammy always had one of my favorite themes. Once again, love the piano solos. Love the distorted synth during the main theme as well. Very psychadelic. Heck! I love everything about this track! Woo! Shake that ass, Cammy!

Sixto Sound's "Made in USA." Two words: wicked sick! That's all I can say! This is what "Guile's Mile Long Dong" was missing! Just one complaint though. You faded out! Never fade out on something that rocks that hard! It should've had a boom ending. One final "POW" on the guitar. Other than that, kick ass. Rock on, Mr. Masters!

"Overdrive" indeed. I got no complaints. This does rock hard and solid, but there's something about it. I can't quite put my finger on it, but at some point I was tempted to yell out "Go Speed Racer!" Great job guys! Go Ryu, go!

"Mecenary Boxing". I love the title alone. I like how it goes from the piano and brass to a darker electronic sound. It's like night has fallen and Balrog's hidden agenda becomes revealed. The choir is an awesome touch too. Very nice.

Someone said they didn't like "Spittin' Narcissism" cuz it was more hip-hop instead of latin. But I like it! Sure, for Vega, the style and the genre fit like a square peg into a round hole. But the lyrics are perfect. Jose, you did an awesome job of bringing Vega's voice to rap.

"Urban Uppercut" is really good. That's all I'm gonna say about it. Not that I don't like it, it's just that besides that it's two different takes on the theme, nothing really stands out. And they do get kinda repetitive.

I can so see "Tribute to the Master" in a movie soundtrack. Great symphonic sound with a some eletronic elements dashed in for ornimentation. Good work.

Everything about "Murder Instinct" says bad-ass. Especially the teeth rattling base. One listen, and you can tell this is for the big boss. Props to Eternal Testament. Nice.

The last five tracks I'm not even going to mention. In my opinion, none of them really need to be there at all. The "Blood on the Asphalt" songs sound really trite and I just plain didn't like the last two. The "16-bit-esque" electronic element was way overdone. Malcos's "Home At Last" is OK. It's just too short to really bring attention to. At most it's just an extension of the previous character theme. But despite these shortcommings, I'd say the main body of the album more than compensates.

Overall, this is a kick ass project and I'm so glad it's finally up. Great job to all of you who worked on it. I'm gonna go listen to "Flying Heaven" for the 15th time now.

Ehhhh. This is the only character theme that truely disappointed me. And I think the title's trying to compensate. The baseline and the synth are good, but what's up with the main melody being played by flutes? Did Guile visit Hobbiton or something? It's just not at all what I was expecting for the great Major. And only at 2:18 does the real army muscle I was waiting for come in. When listening, I literally screamed, "That's what I'm talkin' about!" But it's just some little solo that lasts less than a minute! Guile might be an army of one, but this time, he wasn't all that he could be. (Again, I don't care how gay that sounds.) One more thing. Would someone please explain to me that little 8-bit diddy at the very end?

Agreed. I just did not like this track at all. I would have much rather preferred a proper military hardcore sound to it, because I have never been able to find remix of it like that. I'm definitely not saying that it should have been balls-out rock like the Ken song.

Question though. How many people out there have 90 minute CD-Rs? Because this album is 90 minutes and 35 seconds, correct? One of those Guile endings didn't need to be in there. That's for sure.

Edit: http://youtube.com/watch?v=tMIyCN_6vrw

Preview video now up. All who do not own a Dreamcast, check that out to see what you are missing :P

Also, I suck hard at Street Fighter 2. Always have.