Super Mario Land (GB) - Seven Pipes to Heaven- Jazzy/Gospel 7/8

Nostalvania

Sounds great! The only thing I'd say is that the bass feels a little unrealistic. Some of the moments with multiple repeated notes sounded mechanical, such as at 1:34 and 1:42, since those repeated notes sounded like the same round robin iteration. The mixing makes it blend into the soundscape enough IMO, so it's not that big a problem, but you may want to try out some more bass samples before sticking with one for this track. Maybe if you want, you could send me the BPM, and the MIDI for the bass, and I can send you a few sample-replacement WAVs?

Edited by timaeus222

Thanks for the feedback!

@Wiesty: Who is Miles Davis?

Just kidding :wink:. Hey yeah, i will hit you up if i need some live drums.

@timaeus222: The bass sample surely isn't the best but it's the best one i could find in my DAW. However, thanks for the willingness to help! I think i want to try out some of your samples.

• 2 months later...

First, this sounds great and anyone who can make Cubase work for them is a wizard of the highest order IMO......I know this is almost completely tangential, but this sounds (especially round 1:15) like the beginning of an 80's family sitcom, a'la Family Matters, Cheers. I was waiting for a voice-over to be like "Super Mario Bros and The Family was filmed in front of a live studio audience" As always great work, jazz remixes are always good to hear thanks Nostalvania!

First, this sounds great and anyone who can make Cubase work for them is a wizard of the highest order IMO......I know this is almost completely tangential, but this sounds (especially round 1:15) like the beginning of an 80's family sitcom, a'la Family Matters, Cheers. I was waiting for a voice-over to be like "Super Mario Bros and The Family was filmed in front of a live studio audience" As always great work, jazz remixes are always good to hear thanks Nostalvania!

Thanks Yoshi! Yeah, those sitcoms often had jazzy music so i can see the similarities.

By the way, your comment made me think of this: http://youtu.be/oK9DDL0hbDo

this is great! Ditto others' comments about the bass and mix compression - to my ear, the bass doesn't sound present enough in the mix, but maybe making it louder would make you want to tweak the bass part sound just a bit. But it's a really solid adaptation, nice flow.

Is there organ around the 1:45 mark and building, or is it just the piano resonance? There's a prominent sustained sound that seems to build until about 2:40~ and it's cool, but gives the impression there's another instrument buried in the mix, which I don't hear elsewhere...

Is there organ around the 1:45 mark and building, or is it just the piano resonance? There's a prominent sustained sound that seems to build until about 2:40~ and it's cool, but gives the impression there's another instrument buried in the mix, which I don't hear elsewhere...

Thanks for the feedback! No there's no organ, only the piano.

Wow, awesome arrangement man!

The few suggestions/comments I have:

I think I would start the piece with a small section without drums to pull people further in (so starting the drums at 0:09).

Things don't flow as well around 2:13 - some notes are cut-off too soon and the timing is sometimes slightly off (which is more prevalent in staccato parts)

I think I would change the left-hand there; it overpowers the bassline now (and the melody for that matter) and the continued hammering of those low notes keeps a long sustain which is just a wall of sound (more prevalent in your second version since you boosted the volume there). I think alternating between such bass notes and higher-octave three-note chords (with keeping the bassnote of that chord constant and which you can play more frequently without making the piece too muddy) will be better. At least don't use two bass notes in that section, that would clear a lot up I think. But that's just my opinion of course ;)

Aside from that section, great work!

Yeah the part around 2:13 is much clearer now, although I did like the crescendo-vibe you had due to the increasing volume of the left hand in the previous version. I think that you can still increase the volume of the left hand from the 2-minute mark until 2:30 to make that part more powerful - especially now you cleared up the bass notes there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...