What are you career goals?

I want to hear what you want to do with your life. Are you just doing music for fun? Are you aiming to become a game music composer professionally? Perhaps you'd like to become a professional let's-player. Whatever it is, music related or not, let's POST IT!

I'll go first, although it's kind of embarrassing. I'm going to become a game oriented comedian/musician on YouTube. Kind of like JonTron but with a little Zircon mixed in there. Maybe I should change my name from Zoltan to Zirtron. I've got all the odds against me not only regarding becoming significant on YouTube but also regarding time because I have very little of it to work on videos and music between my full-time job and taking care of my daughter. But I plan on succeeding anyway.

Now, what about YOU!?

I'd love to be able to support myself by doing music in some form or another. Composition for film, TV, and video games is something I love, of course. There's also the aspect that I'm developing right now, which is studio engineering combined with acting as a producer for an album: not just recording and mixing, but also adding my own touches along the way, all while helping each musician give their best performances.

Basically, whatever it is I end up doing, I'd like it to be both creatively and technically fulfilling, so I'm working towards expanding both my technical and creative skill sets.

Also I get bored of doing just one thing for a living after about two years, so I might bounce between a whole bunch of things. :-P

I'm definitely aiming to do game music composing professionally, as well as songwriting and synth/beat programming. If I could make some money as a solo artist, that'd be cool, but that's unlikely unless I basically get famous :-P

Funny enough, I've also been doing YouTubing for a while, though I don't think I'll ever do it as a job. My style is kinda a mix of JonTron, BalloonShop, and ever so slightly Philly D with our RTTTA show (the Philly D influence was a small one that, for the most part, has faded away hahaha). We do our usual skits as well, though we do less of them because they take a bit longer to do generally. http://youtube.com/user/gcwaves

I've been coaching gymnastics for the last 10 years, and I really don't have any major goals beyond what I've already accomplished. My goal is to see kids stay in shape and build self-confidence and a love of the sport, and I get to do that every day.

I think I'd be content to keep doing this for the rest of my working life. But if I could easily switch careers at this point, I think my dream job would be researching in astrobiology. Unfortunately, there's many years of school (and thus thousands of dollars) between here and there.....

Hmm, that's a real good question. I'm not trying to do musics or anything as a career. I've been a programmer analyst for a few months, and am picking up some possible skillz for database administrator. So that's a possible thing. Or network admin. Other than that, I seriously have no idea? Kinda sad that by age 31 I don't have more clarity....

I've changed my plans considering a lot of complications in college, depression diagnosis, Aspergers and marriage. I too at 31 am still not sure what I'd like to do as a career. All I know is that I want to do something in the field of audio even if it's just transcribing audio books for blind people. Music is now just for fun. I've moved from hip-hop to EDM and LSDJ/Korg DS-10 chiptuning, and I feel better just taking music one day at a time.

Hahaha dang, so many people here who aren't actually planning to go full on into music. I expected that some wouldn't, but I didn't expect this many.

Haha I am straight up getting into music. If not music, it'd be film/animation. I tried acting but I've found that it's just not fun to me as much anymore. But I've always been one for the arts.

Working my way into the film/game music scene while filling the time between jobs with my own projects. Thinking about going more the route of orchestration/conducting, if not doing actual composition work. I'm open to both possibilities, or whatever other opportunities arise! Even crossing over into more of the sound design/foley areas sounds like it'd be a lot of fun.

My 18-year-old self would still have a burning passion to write music scores even if it's for other forms of media. However, with where I'm at now, the only career goals I even have are to eventually get some stable paid work that I enjoy doing rather than being stuck in an office all day. I'm also good with the idea of taking any of the music / visual skills I picked up in my student days to use as a freelancer, though.

Something in the video game business. Of course, music and sound stuff would be great but all anyone can really do there is network and try - which I continue to do. I do have experience doing other kinds of jobs which can translate into the video game industry though.

Also with music I hope to get back into the live performance aspect soon as I miss just being able to jam. One day...one day I shall tour with a band.

Edited by AngelCityOutlaw

A few things I'd like to accomplish. I want to establish a career as a composer/arranger/sound designer for concert, film, TV, video games, etc., with the ability to write just about any genre of music without sounding forced.

Having been a trumpet major in college, live performance is always fun. Making money while doing it would be awesome.

Voice-over has been a goal of mine probably even before music became a goal. I've had some success there but it was short lived as it all pretty much happened during my final year of college.

Assuming I would be able to juggle all of these things have a business card planned out if I establish myself in all those areas:

"Deedubs": Composer, Arranger, Trumpeter, Voiceover-er

Probably too ambitious, but it would be cool to do it all for for a living.

My career goals are simply to get whatever I can get out of using my entertainment skills and be satisfied I was lucky enough to get that. I learned the long and hard way that trying to be a successful professional composer is basically a fool's errand these days (no offense intended to you guys still shooting for that) and I really don't want the difference of whether or not I can put food on the table be if I can find someone willing to pay me $400+ a minute for music now that everyone and their Mom does music and voice over work today.

Instead, I'm going to take a far more practical approach - keep my day job, keep climbing those leaders to better and better income, and do music and voice overs part time. I HATE the idea of music and voice acting becoming WORK instead of FUN. Something I WANT to do shouldn't be painful, it should be rewarding for me as a being, not solely my checking account. If I slog 40 hours a week at a job, then it makes the work I DO want to do even more rewarding, and it keeps my discipline. I can get more jobs by not charging $400 a minute, my livelihood doesn't depend on how much I'm willing to suck off a client and therefore the quality of my art increases too. I still get to set my own rules, the chances of opportunities may remain the same, and if I fail, which 99% of all artists will do within 5 years of being artists, then all I am is disappointed. It's better to be disappointed than disappointed, hungry, bankrupt and potentially homeless. :)

The only objective downside is I lose time to be able to work on music, but honestly, if I'm failing in that endeavor like 99% of us will after a while anyway (and I'm not trying to inflate that statistic, I've been told only 1 out of 100 artists finds professional success to replace a salary) than all that time would largely be for naught anyway.

I have been kinda venting on this subject lately after some surprising backlash I received from a topic on this subject elsewhere by known composers. It shocked and disappointed me how black and white they see this subject, and I've been kinda bitter on it since yesterday. I won't pretend this post is entirely unbiased there. :P

I learned the long and hard way that trying to be a successful professional composer is basically a fool's errand these days (no offense intended to you guys still shooting for that) and I really don't want the difference of whether or not I can put food on the table be if I can find someone willing to pay me $400+ a minute for music now that everyone and their Mom does music and voice over work today.

Getting into music is hard. But I'm motivated as crap and I'm definitely making some progress. Songwriting is one of the only ways people in the music industry make a healthy living nowadays, though. It's kinda always been that way but even more so now. Songwriting and live performances, usually. I'm trying to get into video game music composing as well as quite a few other things but it's all super tricky to get into.

Getting into show biz can be really freaking hard. But that's all the more reason I'm going full force into it. I like a challenge.

I believe that if you try hard enough and really have motivation, you're most likely to succeed. I'm not sure that's not always the case, but the more motivation, the better. Always.

I don't know; I learnt the hard way though that no matter how good your grades are, no matter how determined you are to get amazing jobs and the like, the general consensus of the world's population is that they don't want anything to do with people that have physical or mental difficulties. That's what seemed to be the big gate for me that I personally can't jump no matter how full of knowledge I am.

So I'm practically in Meteo's boat on doing music for fun but more with the reasoning that I can't go far enough to get what I desired to do when I was a teenager. But I still enjoy the art form and I can't leave it behind for anything else, and I'm sure some of you guys may feel the same way.

Plan to work my way into a company as an electro/automation tech but just for the rates, probably not to end up boss/pencil-pusher. Wanna keep learning and work on the feild.

Musically, that above job will enable me to purchase the tools I'd like to have to devellop my secret craft and, also, keep me sane. I think I'd be sad if I did music for a living.

Finally, I'd like to get good enough to maybe do vgm soundtracks or shows, but really I'd like to play live shows with a my own stuff (metal band). Tours ? Nah.. ocassional festivals and stuff yes. I'd like to devellop on YouTube as well.

That's about it lol.. I'll soon be 30, I'm not dreaming of living of my music anymore.

I'm kind of sad to see that there are indeed people here who had dreams and have given up on them. So there was a statistic that 1 in 100 musicians make it. I'm willing to bet that statistic is being overly kind. I think it's more like 1 in 1,000. So why not be that one? You totally can. I'm still working on being that one in the world of YouTube but I expect it's going to happen.

I'm kind of sad to see that there are indeed people here who had dreams and have given up on them. So there was a statistic that 1 in 100 musicians make it. I'm willing to bet that statistic is being overly kind. I think it's more like 1 in 1,000. So why not be that one? You totally can. I'm still working on being that one in the world of YouTube but I expect it's going to happen.

I've actually accomplished almost all of the dreams I had when I was younger. I've been a professional juggler, a professional composerand musician, and while I was never a "professional" gymnast I did get a chance to compete against several Olympians and was the first person in the world to compete a Kaz Double Front vault.

Living the dreams was great, but a quieter and simpler life of coaching suits me fine these days.

if by "you totally can" you mean "you .1% can", then yes. unfortunately that leaves you a 99.9% chance of failing. in this unsure economy i would rather bet on a much more sure thing than an industry that simply has more supply than demand.