OCR01481 - Raptor & Final Fantasy VII "PlectraSubCity"

I still remember Raptor's soundtrack. A beautiful compilation of tunes covering a wide range of emotions. This mix definitely captures the feeling of the level*, but I had a hard time filtering out the source tune. It just doesn't have that Raptor flavor to it.

But this remix still rocks. Very new agey, laid back, smooth. Another awesome piece from TO.

Edit: This song has been playing nonstop for over an hour, and I'm not even remotely tired of it.

Edit 2: 2 hours and still going strong.

*Even though the source is listed as Level1.mid, this is definitely not the tune for the first level of the first sector, Bravo Sector. Bravo Level 1 is a chiptune tour-de-force that screams for a prog rock makeover. Perhaps this is Tango 1, but I don't have the game in front of me at the moment, and my memory does have its limits.

TO for the win here. This is a very dreamlike atmosphere, save for the random stabs of the instrument I'm assuming is the bell that sounds like the guitar referred to in the judge's panel. All part of the gimmick, though, it fits. Damn good vocals, too. They push this mix up a level.

Reminds me of the song they used for "Kid's Story" in the Animatrix.

That's actually pretty ironic that you pointed that out. Some of my music influence has come from Peace Orchestra (The guys who did the song in Kid's Story.) I really liked their laid back, and yet bass/distortion driven style.

And for the record, the source is labelled as "level02.mid" in my archive. However I'm not sure if that links up properly either. It's definitely one of the songs in the shareware version as well as the full version.

Thanks for the comments so far.

I've never played the game in question so pairing this track up against the source is a tad hard for so Im going treat of this as a totally new piece of music. And that said this remix is a very cool minialistic song, Not much happens here but at the same time it really just works to offer a very fulfilling experience. I dont normally like this type of music but I enjoyed this, Top marks again TO... again!

Ahhhhh I remember this game! I saw the name of the game remixed and I was like NO FREAKING WAY! I got the demo from my gravix* CD. Nice mix. Really good! Don't remember any of the source music though, that was quite a long time ago.

(* Gamepad callibration and support software)

I don't remember any of the Raptor music myself, but I did like the game. Therefore, I can only comment on the music as it stands alone, outside of its connection to any game.

I like the song (note the stress on "like" - it doesn't go beyond that). It has a "rainy day" feel to it, and I really like that style. It's a great ambient groove song.

Now, it's not the best ambient groove piece I've ever heard, so I can't say it's my favorite. I'm not sure why, really: it just doesn't rank at the top for me. I do know for certain that I don't like the way it fades out, and the two-minute marks falls apart to my ears. Other than that, I can't really point out a flaw that I can say is the absolute reason I don't put this song in the top ranks. I want to blame it on the samples used, but I can't even be certain of that. Sorry.

However, I do enjoy it despite its flaws, and will be adding it to my playlist.

086.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This song has been great to listen to while programming, and definitely has lasting appeal.

I was listening to it heavily after first downloading it, but then I shifted it back as new songs became available. But after a couple of weeks, the vocals just kept getting stuck in my head, and I had to track down where I they came from. :)

Great work, keep it up!

-Austin Spafford

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

New Age + Industrial? Count me in as a fan. It's like NiN meets Sting or something. I'm absolutely in love with that little chirp, and the bass sound.

Some cool vocals as well; I can't discern lyrics, but really it's about the sound and the atmosphere, which works really well.

I think the snare is a little too loud, but otherwise, no complaints at all. Awesome work! I love it. :-D

• 5 months later...

Cool, ambient and obscure to boot. I like that in a mix.

The vocals work great with the material, and that little guitar sting at the end of the tail of each of those sections kept things interesting and fresh for the whole piece. It establishes a new theme in its last third, which I think was a necessary move and I'm very glad it's there. As it stands now, there's no hollowness despite a semi-minimalist approach.

It's darkly reflective; always a great combination for when you're alone writing videogame remix reviews at midnight. Sort of a niche market that one, but this definitely has the potential to corner it.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01481 - Raptor & Final Fantasy VII "PlectraSubCity"