OCR02966 - Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time 'Hey, Listen'

djpretzel

A touch too compressed for my taste, but that aside (and I know this is super old)...

This makes good use of minimal textures in the beginning to create a nice disco groove. The lil wah keys solo at 1:27 was pretty cool. The dubstep was a bit "where did that come from?", but it's not like it's too abrasive to listen to. Later on, I'm surprised you kept that hard snare going in an ambient-ish setting, but it's ok, you'd notice that today.

Welp, not your best work, but still enjoyable.

The beginning funk jam alone was terrific to listen to, especially that effect at around 1:25-1:29, but then the dubstep comes in and everything goes into overdrive. The "Hey, Listen!" sound clip being used in a way that doesn't get annoying is a pretty good feat, so props alone for that. I've said before that Windmill Hut/Song of Storms was my favorite OoT source, and hearing it with his beat is hot. Really digging this.

• 1 year later...

I was worried that if I heard the original “Hey, Listen” sample, I would hate it. But I love how it was used in this track. I love that this track took “Hey, Listen” and turned it into a code for “wait for the beat to DROP.” And boy does the beat drop when Navi tells you to listen (most of the time anyway). But after the beat is done dropping, we’re back to mellow and slow. It’s kind of odd, but definitely worth listening to for the beat drops.