Morak's Bane; An Orchestral Gauntlet Theme

I'm just hoping for some general feedback on the mixing. I transcribed Hal Canon's brilliant original theme and recorded several takes (I wrote more detail about it here if you're interested) using some orchestral software.

My ears are quite burnt out on this as I've been working on it with every possible spare second over the past few weeks. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Here is my version

Cheers! :mrgreen:

p.s. I also utilized part of the theme from stage 4 and had SO MUCH FUN orchestrating this.

Interesting bit this is. I do love harpsichords though so you got some love from me. I can hear everything which is a good sign for a mix. However, I feel there is a distinct lack of presence. Everything is just kind of pushed back rather than having a section or two come into the foreground for the movements. Also, I'm not 100% what the instrument is but it sounds a bit like a flute or piccolo that is actually kind of juxtaposed in there which makes for a slightly distracting bit as it just does not mesh well with the established instruments or space you have. Fun listen though.

Thanks for the feedback APZX; I've heard similar remarks from a friend as far as the lack of presence; which doesn't surprise me, as I tend to write very ambient and 'flowy' music; and this is my first attempt at a fast moving piece with several notes written by someone else.

And it's an Irish flute by the way; it mirrors the harpsichord in the first run through and then it mirrors the cello the second time, but I'll definitely consider either removing it or giving it to another instrument in the mix. A different timbre might be what is needed.

Thanks so much, I really appreciate it! :grin: