OCR00503 - Lufia & The Fortress of Doom "Fear and Courage"

Ginnsu

Lufia & The Fortress of Doom 'Fear and Courage'

Not good at all, this makes me sad. It’s really a horrible thing when a bit rate ruins a song, especially one so well done. I love this piece of music, but I wouldn't listen to it much just because of the fact that the bit rate destroys it. Fix it, Sonic Blade.

• 1 month later...

I can't let the only review of a good piece be one that insults it, sorry. This is a well done ReMix with a difficult track to begin with. Maybe I am not skilled in the art of music making but the bit rate sounds fine to me. Good job on a classic game track.

• 4 months later...

This is a pretty cool remix. I downloaded it a while ago and it sounds pretty nice. The orchestral inspired sounds sound trippy and mellow. It's a cool soothing song up until the point where the guitar comes in. Then it starts to rock. heh.

The guitar tone isn't as Metallica-ish as I assumed it would, but it sounded cool. I love the part (1:58/0:40) where the piece from the orignal blends in with the guitar. It made me wanna play Lufia again. Cool remix.

*revives topic from the dead*

edit:

oh yeah, the only thing i dont like about this remix is that it's too short :)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Lufia is one bad ace game. This is def one of the best source tunes from the series.

Music technology has really shot through the roof in the last couple years yet the sound design is still relevant and def enjoyable by today's standards. The strings then guitar combo is def a smart choice for the arrangement of this mix. The whole arrangement is build around building up and displaying the incredible melody of this. Def an emotive piece that is well executed and build around the basic principles of the source tune.

• 3 weeks later...

There is some nice interpretation here with a solo cello adding some unique melodic touches, and things are looking up, but then the "guitar" comes in, and it's so tinny it hurts my ears. :(

Beforehand was decent, though some of the string samples weren't very good, though they were used pretty well.

Enjoy the first half of the mix, but beware...

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I remember liking this mix way back!

...Unfortunately, as I've grown up, I've learned to recognize some shortcomings. Here, with such a moving approach, it definitely could've been expanded upon. Sure, the sampled guitar hurts, but the song could be taken further to glorious heights, or an expansion of the sorrowful atmosphere. The ending just cuts it way too short!

• 2 years later...

A 3-year-old at a Metallica concert. Gotta admit that part of the writeup was modestly funny. :razz:

For what it is, it managed to be a decent arrangement; partially true to the source but there's been enough done to the melody to really give it an extra touch.

However, the 10 years that have gone by haven't really been too kind to the production, the awkwardly-humanisation-less track and the samples in general. People have managed to handle MIDI banks well and craft something really delicate out of them in the modern era (most notably Iggy Koopa) but with something like this it's shown its age almost too much with the publication.

I do recall hearing some more polished material from Sonic Blade over at VGMix since though (most notably that remix medley), so it's not all that bad. I do however think that given the chance he could've been able to refine this so much more in regards to levels and general energy, but for now it's average at best.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00503 - Lufia & The Fortress of Doom "Fear and Courage"