Question about Volume Meters

On all programs there are volume meters for the track, and also a master one. It's got the little bars bouncing around when you play the song. If it goes too loud, it leaves a red box lit at the top which goes away if you click it. (I hope someone can broaden my vocabulary :) )

This is a bad thing, right? Is it telling you that the track is too loud for the program to output perfectly? Because when it happens, my piece starts to get staticky.

So I want to readjust things so there's no static. Do I have to lower every single track until the proportions are right and then turn up the volume, or is there an easier way to do this? It'd seem logical if they had a way to automatically readjust the scale of things to make them work normall again.

The bar going into the red means that there is clipping in your music.

That static sound you are hearing is clipping and can damage your speakers and/or headphones.

A few of the ways to reduce clipping is by lowering your volume levels, adding a Compressor, which will regulate your volume levels, or tweaking your EQ to reduce the volume of the high, mid, and low frequencies until there is a balance.

Now, I'm not all that good with the technical mombo jombo of music making, but I hope that helps a little.

Do I have to lower every single track until the proportions are right and then turn up the volume, or is there an easier way to do this?

Rather than spending hourse tweaking compression on everything and spending a lot of time with all sorts of gobbledy-gook, this is a very useful practice. Dont forget, you can always raise your overall volume at the end. Like i mentioned in another thread, i start all my levels at %50 and push up whatever needs to be louder.