OCR02976 - Chrono Trigger 'In the Green Gloom'

Liontamer

Did they... slow this down even more than the original? The original was always a bit gloomy, yet had a thoughtful beauty to it. This mix was hauntingly beautiful the entire way through. I'm impressed. I probably haven't heard every mix for this song that exists, but this one strikes me as being incredibly unique. Masterfully done!

I can understand Larry and djp when they express interest in hearing about the process, but honestly most of the time I don't have all that much to say about a track. it's like, here's a track, I was feeling this genre at the time, hope you like it. :lol: this idea came from Patrick Burns Balance and Ruin track, which I really like. and like djp says ambient is relatively rare here. so I had a hankering to do some. I guess the unique challenge of this track was designing animal and other sfx that are shout outs to the original forest sounds, rather than just ripping the ones from the game. my favorite occurs about halfway through. :-)

Did they... slow this down even more than the original?

half speed, actually. :-)

this idea came from Patrick Burns Balance and Ruin track, which I really like. and like djp says ambient is relatively rare here. so I had a hankering to do some.

That's awesome, because I was also thinking of that track as an example of ambient on OCR and how much I liked that one too. So it's like.. you did this track for me. Thanks! :lol:

Now this is ambiance that doesn't ever even come close to being boring. Something like this is peaceful, tranquil and beautiful, and it says something when you can make an ambient ReMix that goes six minutes long seem to pass by in half the time. The instruments, the effects, the mid-mix vox, everything just seems to be engaging to listen to. Outstanding work.

• 1 month later...

Incredible. This feels like a sister remix to "Green Amnesia" - excellent tunes for melancholy night driving.

The echoing texture is just beautiful, reminiscent of the non-nightmarish parts of the forest music in Xenogears, and also CotMM's works.

Strangely enough, I expected a bit of "Higher Than Can Be Carried By Wings" from Wild Arms 3 at about 1:48

Edited by Octagon

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Sweet soundscape; the SFX feel part of it and not just tacked on as well. Subtle entrance of the arp was quite nice and the reverbed piano is just right. I agree that the vocals were a nice touch. I gotta applaud Argle for making such a minimal mix that doesn't outstay its welcome at all.

• 9 months later...

If there were ever a good reason to get good headphones, this is it. The buildup in the first minute almost makes me feel like there's cool air blowing on my neck and giving me chills. You imagine that you are IN the forest in this game, or in a hidden forest that wasn't in the original game. You're surrounded by mystery and yearning.

Growing up, I think we all imagined what it would be like to actually BE in the settings of NES games, or SNES games, or PS1 games, etc. We imagined being Crono and leading the team through the enveloping story and time periods. This mix transports you to that place only music can.