Repairing Nintendo DSs?

SystemsReady

So I have two Nintendo DSs. One is an original model that I got nine years ago. It's been used so much in so many different places that the barcode is literally worn off of it (a feat that not even my beat-up old GBA can boast). The other is a Lite that I got six years ago, mainly so I could trade with myself in Pokemon (this was back when financial aid refunds were A Thing).

Unfortunately, both of them now have L and R triggers that don't work anymore. This combined with my GBA being really, really dead (it's so old that its transparent pink casing is now ORANGE) means that I can't really play any non-Pokemon GBA games.

I fired off an e-mail to Nintendo and their response was "well, we don't do repairs of them anymore. So try using a toothbrush to clean the underside of the trigger buttons. Or you could buy refurbished ones!".

Well...toothbrush method didn't work (though I assume the general area is now nice and shiny), and I don't want to BUY refurbished ones...these are my beloved consoles and I don't want to simply get rid of them because a few buttons don't work. Call it sentimental, but I just don't treat my consoles like that.

Where would I theoretically go to get them fixed? Or...where could I buy the screwdriver(s) needed to open up the casing myself and see if there's anything outright blocking the buttons?

Did you try blowing into the buttons? Seems to be a common fix for that issue. Google it and see.

If he used a toothbrush, I'd say blowing won't help either.

As suggested, try a specialty gameshop in town. Most of them do their own repair work and if not, they probably know someone who can help you out. Don't be too surprised if it'll cost you a pretty penny, though one could argue that in emotional value these consoles are priceless ;)