Ultima VI Intro Theme - 2013 Remix

Klingsor

Hey,

I submitted this a year or so ago, but it was rejected for its "lack of originality", on the other hand you could call it faithfulness ;-) Still I put hours of work into it, since I had to re-arrange, orchestrate and record every single note of the original midi files via a notation program and a DAW.

Anyway, I would like to know what you think about it. Some suggested improvements woud be nice. I really like this site and I would to contribute some arrangements.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=674265&songID=12195567

Cheers! :)!!

Dustin

• 1 year later...

Ooh, an Ultima remix! The quality of this is generally pretty good

The flute at 1:11 doesn't really feel real to me, because it's a bit too legato, and doesn't have too much expression. I also feel that it would sound better if it had a brighter sound, perhaps "popping" out of the mix more without being louder. Same with the flute at 3:55. I also think the harps could be more humanized.

Overall, I think this song is too repetitive, but this can be improved.

I liked the percussion at the beginning, but toward the end, it could have used some variation. You could add in more drums as the song progresses - woodblocks, a triangle, a big bass drum for accents, or something.

Toward the middle/end, I think there should be a bigger "build-up" to keep the song interesting. You could try adding brass or moving the melody an octave higher. Or add some light woodwind ornaments to accent and "color" it. Some cymbal swells at the beginning at sections might sound nice too. You could also have everything but the melody play much quieter at the beginning, (with the harp subtly mixed in,) and crescendo to it's current volume at the middle.

A fade out ending? It could be better. Perhaps by slowing the song down and ending on a sustained string chord? With a big bass drum to finish it off?