Vampire Variations: Volume III - History

Chernabogue

'sup? Wanna build off of this? Just did it recently.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5zeftl80vmeqwjl/VV3%20Website%20Sketch.zip?dl=0

What specifically are you looking for with the design aspect? Coding I'm sure I can do.

That's really not bad for a beginning. Go ahead if you want to give it a shot. :) Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want more info.

1. Generally speaking, art & logo are far more important than website.
  2. I can do website fairly easily if art & logo are provided. This is what I've done for the last few albums (FF2, GB25, Seven Songs, Sonic CD, TMNT, etc.)
  3. I'd be using the Bootstrap-based template we've been using, which also uses PHP & the Twig templating system - the entire FF2 site is available at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4718466/rebellion.7z
    • Template is responsive, single-page, and relatively easy to navigate & flexible
  4. Other things we can use help with regarding the website:
    1. Getting tracks comments and artist info together
    2. Data entry of tracks & track comments (using track_comments.php in template)
    3. Data entry of artist info (using artists.php in template)
  5. Biggest question in my book - is this a site JUST for VV3, or for the entire trilogy? If VV1 & VV2 are being presented, to what extent?

How far along are art assets?

Well, I was actually pretty far along with this; the dropbox zip file I provided is the latest one as of right this moment, but it's fine.

My main beef with templates is that I don't get control over the formatting of the generated code; I'm sure you know how there's a bunch of white space in it. :razz:

I'm alright with going with the template. I do want to know though: is it possible for me to clean up the formatting of the generated code later (tabbing, spacing, linebreaks, etc)? Y'know, just because I like to write the raw coding and have it be readable... at the same time. :nicework:

1. Generally speaking, art & logo are far more important than website.
  2. I can do website fairly easily if art & logo are provided. This is what I've done for the last few albums (FF2, GB25, Seven Songs, Sonic CD, TMNT, etc.)
  3. I'd be using the Bootstrap-based template we've been using, which also uses PHP & the Twig templating system - the entire FF2 site is available at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4718466/rebellion.7z
    • Template is responsive, single-page, and relatively easy to navigate & flexible
  4. Other things we can use help with regarding the website:
    1. Getting tracks comments and artist info together
    2. Data entry of tracks & track comments (using track_comments.php in template)
    3. Data entry of artist info (using artists.php in template)
  5. Biggest question in my book - is this a site JUST for VV3, or for the entire trilogy? If VV1 & VV2 are being presented, to what extent?

How far along are art assets?

1. The logo is (almost) ready -- see the OP. I may just change a little the colors based on Andrew Warwick's art. As for the general art, Andrew will provide everything he has in the coming weeks (he said he would have at least the front/back covers ready for the final deadline, with a few more sketches for the website/promo as well). I'll provide everything when it's done. :)

2. As you wish. Jorito and Timaeus proposed their help, if you ever feel too busy. ;)

3. I like that. I'll dig a little into this code, if it's not too complex for me lol (I guess updating some info isn't THAT hard :D)

4. I'm getting all that stuff along with finished tracks. I should have all of them by the final deadline, or a few days after that.

5. I think a simple section with "Get VV1/VV2 as well" would be enough, except if you want a whole new website for each album. On the other hand, we can also move the VV2 website hosted @ KNGI.

You're leaving for 2 months? Where you going, Transylvania?

I wish. They say it's quite touristic now, but seeing Drac's castle may be worth the trip. More seriously, I got accepted for a 2-month internship in Paris (500 kms from where I currently live) and I still don't have all the info I need about that (still don't know if I'll have a good access on the Internet -- I mean, not on my phone).

To be completely honest, we haven't had amazing luck delegating project website design... there have been some exceptions, such as the rather snappy Maverick Rising & Humans + Gears sites, but we've generally found that we end up needing to step in at the last minute anyways to bring the site design & presentation up to the same standards as the music.

Our newer approach is to have project directors and staff do as much of the data entry and asset collection as possible, and we'll take it from there, which usually means *I'll* take it from there, using our one page template... while this is extra work for me, I can do this specific type of work relatively quickly... I've generally been happy with the results, at least, as I feel that FF2, Seven Songs, Sonic CD, TMNT, GB25, etc. have all turned out pretty well & helped show the amazing music in the best light possible. People DO judge books by covers, even when told not to, and I feel like we owe it to the musicians involved to polish things up to a certain level.

As SOON as the final art & covers are done, the main task is to see which of them could possibly be used for a masthead/background that a website can be themed around. Again, this approach has worked pretty well, and I don't mind doing it... but we definitely need help with the data entry & QA on assets, and I need to know as soon as the art is done in case there's a problem with none of it being suitable for re-purposing/usage on the site, which can sometimes be an issue (usually we can be creative with cropping/vignettes/layers and MAKE things work, but it's never a guarantee!)... hopefully this all makes sense, lemme know if there are question.

Yeah, I have no problem with things being more automated these days, and I'm all for keeping design standards consistently high, but in case you missed it, I did ask, is it possible to go back and edit (online) the generated code later to do particular design changes (small ones), or would I have to ask you first so you could send the raw files yourself?

So, unfortunately, the project isnt done yet. I anticipated it, so you guys have a small extension until I get my connexion back in 2 weeks or so.

Dj Mokram has to drop his claim for personal reason, so if anyone who works fast as hell wants to give it a try, feel free to do so. Im working on a WIP as well, but I have less free time now.