OCR00504 - Mega Man 2 "Crash Test Dummy Man"

Ginnsu

Mega Man 2 'Crash Test Dummy Man'

AE’s one of my favourite musicians. He puts out a very original, amazing sounding piece of music every single time, not just in his mixes but original stuff as well. Each beat has a new and more interesting sound to it. Excellent work AE, keep it up.

• 2 months later...

This one's got a bit of a slower tempo than some of AE's other songs, but it does not disappoint in any way shape or form. Electronic, modulated, nonstop originality. I can't believe how little attention AE seems to get in the reviews department for a ReMixer of his calibur...

The control that AE has over his songs is just amazing. The effects and tricks are just pure earcandy and won´t stop amazing me. It seems that every little trick is well thought and planned, but still there is a free, groovy feeling on the songs. And best of all, the songs are all different from each other, and better yet, different from everything else made these days.

And what comes to this remix: no surprise that its gggreat as hell. The bass sound is perfect. And well, all of the sounds used in the song are. This song is excellent, but there is one thing that bugs me a bit. The lead line should in my opinion be more... well.. bombastic. (If that even IS a word!) Now its just a beep that BEEPS. The sound is good but I´d leave the delay effect thingie away and keep the rhytm of the original phrase. But thats just a little flaw, and it sure as hell doesn´t ruin the song. Great stuff again from AE.

• 3 months later...

I haven't liked a single AE remix to date. They take to long to get into some of them (especially my favorite, Bubbleman. ARG!) This one hasn't done anything to change my mind either. He plays with it too much and destroys the original feel. This song is really the only one I sort of tolerate, because I loved the original Crashman theme, and another remix I heard, but this one is just beating around the bush when it comes to the actual tune. Half the songs the actual level tune is hidden so deep among beats and sounds that you can't tell what level it's for. Electron did a great job with Bubbleman, really got the feel of a water boss down using tropical tied instruments like a steel drum. What do you think of when you think water? Beaches, my thought goes like this: Water = Beaches = Jamaica. See? If AE wants to impress me, he has to work harder. Electronica doesn't work for Megaman.

I haven't liked a single AE remix to date. They take to long to get into some of them (especially my favorite, Bubbleman. ARG!) This one hasn't done anything to change my mind either. He plays with it too much and destroys the original feel. This song is really the only one I sort of tolerate, because I loved the original Crashman theme, and another remix I heard, but this one is just beating around the bush when it comes to the actual tune. Half the songs the actual level tune is hidden so deep among beats and sounds that you can't tell what level it's for. Electron did a great job with Bubbleman, really got the feel of a water boss down using tropical tied instruments like a steel drum. What do you think of when you think water? Beaches, my thought goes like this: Water = Beaches = Jamaica. See? If AE wants to impress me, he has to work harder. Electronica doesn't work for Megaman.

I really don't frequent the review posts too much, but this particular response got my attention. I think it's great to try to leave responses of constructive criticism for people in order for them to improve. But to go on this website, download the (FREE) songs by a particular artist, and then bitch about how he should work harder because you don't happen to like the style he's using in his excellent remixes is total bullshit. Artists like AE don't have to submit songs to this site, they do it because it's fun and because they want to share their creations with other fans that might enjoy it. To go on these boards and be so disrespectful and rude pretty much invites people who actually APPRECIATE the work that goes into thes songs to basically say "If you don't like it, then please go away." Take your negative attitude and your similarly negative comments somewhere where they are more deserved and perhaps tolerated, and don't try and just shit on some of the best remixes on this site just because they don't happen to tickle your fancy.

Nobody's forcing you to like these songs, but if you don't, then have a little more respect than to go around bitching about them. As for AE working harder, I think it is the general consensus on this site that he's one of the least lazy (and most resourceful) remixers around here, and does a great deal of justice to the MegaMan songs. Of course you don't have to agree. But in a place where aspiring artists give their stuff out for free at least have the common decency to talk about the artists and their work with a little respect.

Peace

-McV

mDuo wrote:

I can't believe how little attention AE seems to get in the reviews department for a ReMixer of his calibur...

That's usually because people are so blown away that they have little to no constructive criticism to give. :wink: That being said, looove the arrangement! Although it's a little more mellow than I would've expected from AE (especially after hearing StainlessSteel), it's still a really fun tune!

Riku wrote:

A whole lotta n00bish.

Okay, first off, if you really wanna hear something that close to the original tune, dust off your NES and play some Mega Man 2. The point of a remix is to give the original song new life through new sound. Second, the reason people add variations and tweaks to the original tune in their remixes is a little thing called artistic expression, through which you make the song yours by jamming along with it in your own way. Third, not to be a dick, but if you can't catch the original tune in any of AE's works, you've got a horrible, HORRIBLE ear for music. And finally, if electronica doesn't work for Mega Man, what would... POLKA??? (Don't even think about it, McV... I don't wanna get hooked on a polka song. :lol: ) Mega Man's a robot. Electronica's what's been playing in Mega Man games since day one. What you said makes NO SENSE.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Electronica doesn't work for Megaman.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but uh...don't most of the original megaman tracks fall under the electronica category? BTW If you can't at least respect the massive skill envolved in any AE remix, even if you don't like the song, then you've got problems indeed.

AE straight destroys anything he touches. And I mean that in that in street slang for "owns." Nuff said.

Here's what we should do. We should have AE finish up the rest of the Megaman 2 soundtrack (he's already halfway there), then patch the music into a ROM and listen to all of AE's mixes instead of the game music. Just a perfect job on here, just like all the others.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
I think it's great to try to leave responses of constructive criticism for people in order for them to improve. But to go on this website, download the (FREE) songs by a particular artist, and then bitch about how he should work harder because you don't happen to like the style he's using in his excellent remixes is total bullshit. Artists like AE don't have to submit songs to this site, they do it because it's fun and because they want to share their creations with other fans that might enjoy it. To go on these boards and be so disrespectful and rude pretty much invites people who actually APPRECIATE the work that goes into thes songs to basically say "If you don't like it, then please go away." Take your negative attitude and your similarly negative comments somewhere where they are more deserved and perhaps tolerated, and don't try and just shit on some of the best remixes on this site just because they don't happen to tickle your fancy.

Nobody's forcing you to like these songs, but if you don't, then have a little more respect than to go around bitching about them. As for AE working harder, I think it is the general consensus on this site that he's one of the least lazy (and most resourceful) remixers around here, and does a great deal of justice to the MegaMan songs. Of course you don't have to agree. But in a place where aspiring artists give their stuff out for free at least have the common decency to talk about the artists and their work with a little respect.

Right on bro, but unfortunately this is a remixforum, which automatically gives people the reason to either criticize or encourage, Riku criticized. It´s nice of you to give the remixers view of this, but just because AE does this voluntarily, it doesn´t mean he can´t get some points about hos way to remix.

Sure, sometimes there are just minor subjects that soemone sure can work out, but if someone just don´t like his work? He doesn´t really have to care. Maybe if a majority was against him, maybe then, but now we both know that that´s not the case. That´s the way of life.

You get both shit and praise for what you do, it´s up to you to care or not. But good that at least someone defended AE, we all must have a part to explain why our remixers rules in a certain way.

ByeBye.

EDIT: Darn it, forgot to review the remix.

It had nice techno touch to it, AE is quite familiar with that specific region. The synths was alright, although some of the choices got annoying when they temporarily showed up, but that´s a minor detail. The track was very good, just like pretzeldude pointed out himself, but now I can clarify it. Alltogether, if we adds cool synths and beats, divides with annoying noises and multiplies with the awesome drumtrack, we get as a result a great remix dudes!

Rock on, AE.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Funky with a great groove, I really liked this one.

Excellent balance, great synths, and a fantastic beat. Great variation, and great progression, and a surprising but very well executed ending.

Production is pretty clean and there is a lot of strutting energy on this one. Very nice stuff.

This mix is over 6 years old now, and it still holds up amazingly well today, which very few of it's peers can claim.

Songs like this are why AE is one of the most highly regarded of the earliest remixers.

Excellent work. :-)

• 2 years later...

Love the opening of this! He really creates the tone well with his synth choices. Same classic synth sound all around. This track shows his growth as an arranger a bit more as he has more counterpoint written in this piece that he has in past pieces. Very good! Lots of filter automation, bit crushing, stuttering, glitching goodness in this one. The funk drums at 2:45 were interesting. The groove of them didn't feel as solid as his previous groove, but that's personal preference on my part. The ending was abrupt, but it worked well for this piece.

• 1 year later...

It's a pretty simple approach to the source arrangement-wise, but this mix is largely all about technique, unique sounds bouncing off one another, layered textures and a driving beat. The entire equation results in a very interesting sonic whirlwind that feels longer than it is, but doesn't overstay its welcome.

I do think that despite the large amount of gradual variation in sound and idea, the mix teeters close to the 'repetitious loop' effect due to the lack of expansion in arrangement. But once you grasp that this is a conservative interpretation of a theme that is effectively used to showcase some intricate glitchy wizardry goodness... my ears are at peace once more.

As it stands, its one of the more enlightened remakes around.

• 1 month later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00504 - Mega Man 2 "Crash Test Dummy Man"