OCR02982 - Metroid 'Cancer'

djpretzel

Hm... yeah, a little too weird, even for me. I did like the more dubstep-oriented sections not because it was more familiar territory, but because it wasn't grating. I thought there was too much purposeful distortion and purposeful crackling in the other, more atmospheric parts to really get into it without it just hurting. Maybe if it was quieter and if there was some attenuation of the higher frequencies and some more reverb, it could have helped.

EDIT: I now confirm it. It's tolerable at lower volumes. So really it just bothers me at full volume. I wonder if anyone on youtube bothered to turn it down rather than turn it off.

Edited by timaeus222

This is awesome. I'm surprised to see this on OCR but unlike the people on youtube I'm surprised because it's so different from what you usually get, and so creative and abstract. It takes all the best elements of noise (as a genre) and makes it concise and accessible unlike a lot of noise albums that seem to just go through the motions or lack thereof. Listened to it a few times and no complaints here.

The distortion caught me off guard for a few seconds but I quickly understood where you were going with it. Honestly this is a breath of fresh air and totally worth a listen, if only to hear the excellent sound design. I can see how it could turn some people off and I also had a little trouble hearing the main theme at some points, but still, I really dig this.

Gaahhhhhh, this ReMix is a monster; meticulously stitched together and altogether terrifying. The crackling distortion that kicks in at 0:17 had me cringing and involuntarily thinking of corrupting disease, partially thanks to the stark title of "Cancer". After the more comfortable (but still hard-hitting) dubstep disappears, you're left with nothing but unnerving tones that just barely follow along familiar theme, which feels impossible to escape from. The whole creation was practically painful to hear and could not have been more brilliant.

Edited by Emblem180

This is a lot more sinister than Redg's previous Title mix. Gives it more of a personality.

I have a question. In the last minute of the Mix, the notes get faster. Is this supposed to be an arrangement of the later part in the Title music, or are the notes from the beginning just being played faster? The melody is just so distorted that I cannot tell.

Anyway, I could totally picture this playing for a Metroid adaptation trailer. Maybe one of the Primes, because all of the crackling sounds like a geiger counter going off.

While listening to it, I got the feeling deep in my gut that ...something... had hatched inside me and was beginning its morbid conquest to devour my internal organs while growing larger and moving towards its goal of wresting control of my empty body. It also made me want to re-contemplate my place in the vast, unknown vacuum we call the universe. It may not exactly be the best ear-candy, but that wasn't the purpose. It's purpose was to give you a slightly lingering three-minute nightmare.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This wasn't entirely musical at all. The distortion seemed to be literal distortion. I would've preferred fuzz or some kind of soft bitcrushing effect or at the very lest using an EQ to make the distortion more hollow. Overall the piece was kind of a mess, it kicked in with a beat but only for a moment, and the rest was basically sound design in my eyes.

• 3 years later...