*Results are in* MnP 23: Shining Force 2 - Water Goddess Mitula

HoboKa

Compo: MnP (Meat 'n Potatoes)

Round 23: Shining Force II - Water Goddess Mitula

Shining_Force_II.jpg

This source pick is part of the drive to make some Shining Force II mixes this year, since it's the 20th anniversary of the game's western release. Rexy will play Shining Force II rearrangements on her Sega Mixer Drive netradio show around mid October, so good entries will probably get some airplay! The link to the drive: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=47555 and the link to Sega Mixer Drive: https://www.radiosega.net/shows/blog/sega-mixer-drive/

As a little bonus incentive I pledge to enter the next round, and work my entry into an eventual OC ReMix. For the winner that means a OCR-quality MnP-spirited reinterpretation of a source of their choosing. It will take a while for me to finish it, but it'll happen.

Back to the source pick.. I believe this track can be done in many genres and styles while retaining its original feel.

-evktalo

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMPlQwaB4Y

MIDI: http://shiningforcecentral.com/conte...1301696659.mid

Deadline

October 2nd, 2:00 pm, Thurs (Pacific)

Voting End

October 4th, 2:00pm, Sat

Submit your remix Here when completed.

**If you have technical difficulty with account activation at ThaSauce, please contact Ramaniscence via pm**

MISSION STATEMENT

The goal of Compo:MnP is to promote that "meat and potatoes" conservative approach to remixing: this includes the mood and composition of source tunes. It is up to the remixer to create their own personalization, or to simply give it a sound upgrade. Moreover, the compo is a great opportunity to hone your remixing skills and give video game music the respect that is due. A modicum of originality is recommended, but not required.

All competitors and voters must adhere to the rules stated within: Competition Code and Conduct *

MnP Instructions

1. Covers and Sound Upgrades are permitted.

2. As long as you can still capture the source tune's mood and around 75% of the notation, you'll be golden. If you're going to change the genre up completely, be sure to keep the previous statement in mind. For example, a source tune that is fast-paced and energetic that's remixed into a mellow/chill-out theme would be a hard sell. Please refer to the example tracks at the bottom to get a feel for what I mean. Or better yet, check out the submissions of previous rounds.

3. Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max).

4. Only 1 entry per participant.

5. Previous winner cannot participate, but can submit a bonus, as well as have a vote that counts 2x

6. Submission must be made specifically for this competition, otherwise it will have to be a bonus track. Taking an old idea of yours and heavily revising it is permissible.

Example Tracks:

FF7_SonOfChaos,

SMW_Monstrous_Turtles,

Hitman_Contract_Cleaner,

MISC/TIPS

- When picking a source tune, make sure it has a MIDI to make ppl's lives easier.

- In-game sound FX are permitted, so long as they don't comprise the whole track (i.e. replacing entire MIDI tracks with just sfx)

- Certain sad or moody source tunes don't have drums or percussion for a reason. So keeping it that way may be the easiest way to retain much of the original feel, such as

and
Edited by HoboKa

Correct link here: http://shiningforcecentral.com/content/midis/shiningmidi_36_1301696659.mid

Supercoolmike, that sounds - ahem - super cool! Go ahead and make the non-MnP version for the SF Drive! It'll be much appreciated!

Odd...when I copy/paste the link it stops working. So yeah everyone just use the one that eino provided here.

I'll try to enter. :)

Sweet - looking forward to it if you do!

Links don't work atm. I Dig the song choice already and I might have trouble keeping it in MnP cuz theres already so many ideas flowing in my head right now XD. I might just make 2 versions just to calm myself and keep shit legit.

Nothing wrong with doing that :)

Edited by HoboKa

Sub'd mine. I'm happy with what I made in a short amount of time (busy time ahead, so I wanted to get it done quickly). Close your eyes and listen... :wink:

Sweet, good to see you participating Cherny!

Definitely getting in on this one - I've already got a nice idea for an MnP, so I guess I'll see how that turns out.

Looking forward to it Kat!

can't really say since i'm still relatively new to the site in general, but I think its fine. It just seems out of order cuz theres not many people submiting there versions of the song and some people might see more love than others just for that fact. Overall, i don't think its in a situation where it needs a Dramatic change.

and u prolly shouldn't have to worry about how the MnP works cuz i now understand y its made... I won't lie though, at first I thought it was dumb that u couldn't make ur own interpretation and thought that this site was the whole reason for doing so. However as I participated in the previous MnP and listened to the other MnP tracks, I can now say that this is a good idea. Forcing people to come up with different styles/ideas for the song WHILE staying true to the original format is actually challenging.

besides, if the person really wanted to make it different/orignal then that is what the other competitions are for. Its really great to change the pace now and then.

To be fair Mike, this is the first I've heard of your stuff and I thought what I heard on Soundcloud would've been just fine as it is to send to MnP. You kept the feel of the original, the ideas you added were very minor and your sound design was also very appropriate. But I know it's too late to fix that now on ThaSauce; again, don't worry about it as I'm very happy with what you did.

Yes HoboKa, I know I shouldn't have commented on someone else's mix prior to the vote opening, but I just thought I'd give my two cents about how I perceive the MnP concept xD

To be fair Mike, this is the first I've heard of your stuff and I thought what I heard on Soundcloud would've been just fine as it is to send to MnP. You kept the feel of the original, the ideas you added were very minor and your sound design was also very appropriate. But I know it's too late to fix that now on ThaSauce; again, don't worry about it as I'm very happy with what you did.

Yes HoboKa, I know I shouldn't have commented on someone else's mix prior to the vote opening, but I just thought I'd give my two cents about how I perceive the MnP concept xD

It's all good - I gave up on that rule because everyone kept on making comments about their own stuff before the results lol. And this is a good time for an exception anyway.

I'll check out your soundcloud version mike and give you feedback on it when I vote :)

can't really say since i'm still relatively new to the site in general, but I think its fine. It just seems out of order cuz theres not many people submiting there versions of the song and some people might see more love than others just for that fact. Overall, i don't think its in a situation where it needs a Dramatic change.

and u prolly shouldn't have to worry about how the MnP works cuz i now understand y its made... I won't lie though, at first I thought it was dumb that u couldn't make ur own interpretation and thought that this site was the whole reason for doing so. However as I participated in the previous MnP and listened to the other MnP tracks, I can now say that this is a good idea. Forcing people to come up with different styles/ideas for the song WHILE staying true to the original format is actually challenging.

besides, if the person really wanted to make it different/orignal then that is what the other competitions are for. Its really great to change the pace now and then.

Glad to see you understand my vision for MnP! And also glad to see I haven't scared you off =p (I hope)

Edited by HoboKa

Glad to see you understand my vision for MnP! And also glad to see I haven't scared you off =p (I hope)

nah Hoboka. I aint runnin, i was just looking for reasons to make remixes. lol

Idk bout that. In the MnP 22, I leaned out of the MnP style a lil ( i didn't fully realize the MnP style atm) and felt like I cheated... So i just wanted to make sure to be fair and followed the rules ( I want to make friends not enemies.lol), but other than that thx for the comment and glad u enjoyed it. :D

Welcome to the Voting Stage!

• evktalo has a vote that's worth 2x
  • There are 4 contestants this round.
  • Do not vote for any bonus tracks. If there are any.
  • There is a first-place voter bonus this round - so everyone make sure you vote to cash in on it.

**Remember: participants may not vote for themselves**

Vote ends October 4th(Saturday)at 4PM Pacific

Edited by HoboKa