Remixing Others' Works? VGM Related

They wouldn't (or maybe they do, but they shouldn't) accept it because it's not a unique arrangement; you'd be essentially submitting variations of an existing posted remix. It dilutes the spotlight and would end up filling the site with really weird bunches of remixes that sound sort of similar but each have their own variation.

In other words, the mission of OverClocked ReMix is the love and appreciation of video game music. We do that through free fan-made arrangements of video game songs. Doing fan-made arrangements of already existing fan-made arrangements is sort of diverting from the mission. You're not appreciating the VGM anymore, you're appreciated the arrangement, and that's fine for you to post and release by yourself, but OverClocked ReMix the website wouldn't get behind it. If you have something where you think that even if you arrange an existing arrangement, you're still focusing on appreciating the VGM, you could probably just create your own original arrangement without basing it on somebody's existing track. There's no need to add ownership complexity if you have an idea that's unique enough.

Edited by Neblix

They wouldn't (or maybe they do, but they shouldn't) accept it because it's not a unique arrangement; you'd be essentially submitting variations of an existing posted remix. It dilutes the spotlight and would end up filling the site with really weird bunches of remixes that sound sort of similar but each have their own variation.

In other words, the mission of OverClocked ReMix is the love and appreciation of video game music. We do that through free fan-made arrangements of video game songs. Doing fan-made arrangements of already existing fan-made arrangements is sort of diverting from the mission. You're not appreciating the VGM anymore, you're appreciated the arrangement, and that's fine for you to post and release by yourself, but OverClocked ReMix the website wouldn't get behind it. If you have something where you think that even if you arrange an existing arrangement, you're still focusing on appreciating the VGM, you could probably just create your own original arrangement without basing it on somebody's existing track. There's no need to add ownership complexity if you have an idea that's unique enough.

That was a quick response. The thought occurred to me because there was a remix contest several months ago where the original producer placed a remix done by someone else of his track online to have people remix the remix. That's confusing. There was a lot of differences from the remix and original, but the remix managed to retain the familiar aspects as far as melody goes. I was just wondering if anyone else had ever bothered doing the same. I mean, what do you call a remixed remix?

It's just another remix. When you say remix, people will ask "what is it a remix of?" so you say "it's a remix of Zircon's remix of Mario's theme" or something.

Yes, people do remix remixes. But as far as OverClocked ReMix and the submission criteria for this website specifically, I believe the standards call for unique arrangements. This means you can't do something that's already been done before, so you certainly can't REDO something that's already been done before.

It's just another remix. When you say remix, people will ask "what is it a remix of?" so you say "it's a remix of Zircon's remix of Mario's theme" or something.

Yes, people do remix remixes. But as far as OverClocked ReMix and the submission criteria for this website specifically, I believe the standards call for unique arrangements. This means you can't do something that's already been done before, so you certainly can't REDO something that's already been done before.

Well...

So, you can, but it still has to pass all other standards AND stand apart enough from both the original source material and the arrangement being arranged. That includes little-to-no direct sampling of the original audio, i.e. you can't do traditional remixing/sampling.

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR00763/

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01251/

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR00620/

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR00704/

If you were to base something off an existing VGM arrangement that's not an OC ReMix, similar rules apply, but we do have at least one.

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01164/

From http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=41661

Yeah, I was gonna chime in and say that there have been cases where a posted ReMix was obviously heavily influenced by another posted ReMix, but both passed the bar just fine. If you were to do a remix that was heavily based off of another one, just make sure it's distinguishable enough (which means VERY distinguishable, most likely).

Thanks for being wrong. :lol:

Thanks to Hakštok for quoting me and giving the correct answer.

YES, you can do an arrangement of an arrangement. Read my quote above for the details.

Thanks for being wrong. :lol:

Thanks to Hakštok for quoting me and giving the correct answer.

YES, you can do an arrangement of an arrangement. Read my quote above for the details.

So if someone here made a remix in FL Studio, uploaded their remix, got it approved, I could take the users .flp file, provided they allowed me to, and remix his/her remix? I just want to make sure we're on the same page. I'm not talking about taking a remix done by a video game company and remixing their remix.

So if someone here made a remix in FL Studio, uploaded their remix, got it approved, I could take the users .flp file, provided they allowed me to, and remix his/her remix? I just want to make sure we're on the same page. I'm not talking about taking a remix done by a video game company and remixing their remix.

Yes, but it would still have to have enough source usage as usual, and it is compared to the original remix to examine the differences in addition all the other criteria for a typical remix. If it's not different enough from both the original remix or the source tune, it's still not going to be posted. So you can, but it's not typically encouraged because you're basically making it harder on yourself.

Yes, but it would still have to have enough source usage as usual, and it is compared to the original remix to examine the differences in addition all the other criteria for a typical remix. If it's not different enough from both the original remix or the source tune, it's still not going to be posted. So you can, but it's not typically encouraged because you're basically making it harder on yourself.

Alright, so that's about enough clarification I need. Could be fun to do as a hobby, I suppose. Curiosity got the best of me.