Some questions (I'm pretty new)

MrTard

Hi,

I'm fairly new to this site (note: registered 2012 but have never done anything with my login) and I was just wondering some thing.

I only have logic pro available on my laptop and I like to play around and make (what I call) remixes of MIDI files etc. Are you "allowed" to post some on the workshop forum and ask for feedback and things like that? I have some things on soundcloud that I'm quite happy with and other things I'd like to get some feedback/help with.

What are the rules or like the "unwritten" rules about this site?

The reason I ask is because I don't want to be some pretetious **** who just selfpromotes and also I'm nowhere near as skilled as most people on this site.

Thanks

I only have logic pro available on my laptop and I like to play around and make (what I call) remixes of MIDI files etc. Are you "allowed" to post some on the workshop forum and ask for feedback and things like that? I have some things on soundcloud that I'm quite happy with and other things I'd like to get some feedback/help with.

Sounds good! That's what the Workshop is for.

What are the rules or like the "unwritten" rules about this site?

You can read the stickied topics on top of the Workshop. I guess the most important post says it all in the title (one song per post/one post per song). I'd say it also helps a lot if you can define what sort of feedback you want for the track, and what you intend to do with the track (e.g. if you want to submit it to OCR and want feedback to meet the standards & criteria).

Hope that helps!

You can post these MIDI-remixes, as you call them, but there's not much one can say other than "yo, this is a MIDI rip. I encourage you to learn how to write by ear so you can personalize your arrangements more." You'd have to start 'being serious about it' and think about how you would want to write a remix from scratch so that it isn't an auto-violation of the submission standards should you want to submit to the site. Also, yeah, if you want to post a bunch of these, space it out. Don't post, like, five remixes in 10 minutes.

Edited by timaeus222

I'm no pro with the rules but I think that's not allowed. I'm pretty sure it's gotta be your own arrangement, thus the "ReMix" word rather than "remix".

I'm going to say that sure, it's allowed to post tracks that don't or don't aim to meet OCR criteria (MrTard, read the submission FAQ for info about that), but it helps to state your intentions to get the right kind of feedback.

edit: damn ninjas

Thanks for the fast feedback :) I will read up on the things you guys linked. Sorry for any inconvenience caused. Also to clarify: I usually just use MIDI as a form och basis to make a basic melody foundation for the big whole. Then i remake those parts by ear and edit how i want it too be. Anywho, thank you :)

The workshop is completely independent of the official OCReMix postings.

Anyone is allowed to post to the workshop, midi-rip or not. Just preface your thread by saying you don't intend for it to be an OCR submission as it is not an arrangement, only a cover.

You can still receive valuable music production advice (instrument sounds, levels, frequency shaping, effects use, etc.) even if there is no composition/arrangement advice along with it due to you not being interested. If you ARE interested in creating what qualifies an arrangement to be posted on the site, then just say that, then the people there will also be able to provide the composition/arrangement advice.

Also, you should try to comment on other people's remixes too. That way they have the opportunity to thank you by paying you back and giving you feedback too. If you just post your remixes and that's all, then you have no interaction going on and people will just think of you as that one guy who posts remixes, leaves, then comes back to see if anyone looked.

The workshop is completely independent of the official OCReMix postings.

Anyone is allowed to post to the workshop, midi-rip or not. Just preface your thread by saying you don't intend for it to be an OCR submission as it is not an arrangement, only a cover.

You can still receive valuable music production advice (instrument sounds, levels, frequency shaping, effects use, etc.) even if there is no composition/arrangement advice along with it due to you not being interested. If you ARE interested in creating what qualifies an arrangement to be posted on the site, then just say that, then the people there will also be able to provide the composition/arrangement advice.

Ok thanks :) That clears it up, because I was not planning on making an official submission to OCR only ask for help/feedback and give it (if I can). I'm not good at arrangements and prefer doing covers and "midi-rips" I do it as a hobby, nothing to gain money or credability from, just for my own amusement and learning really :)