OCR02997 - Deus Ex 'Neonature'

Liontamer

Deus Ex lends itself so well to just getting that immersive feel that ReMixers can capitalize on, and that is what Paul has done here. The electronic beat works with the melody so well and I enjoyed this quite a bit. When it hits midway and the computer voice starts talking and giving those mechanical lines, that was pretty cool as well. A great touch for sure. Good mix.

I think the strong point here is how the melody, though applied in a straightforward way, is enhanced by the strong execution. There's a great sense of fullness and immersiveness to the soundscape, and the reharmonizations work really well. My main complaint is that the low-pitched vocoding is unclear. I wouldn't know what it said if there were no listed lyrics. :-P

Might sound a little washy in some audio systems, but other than that, the mixing seems fine overall.

• 8 months later...

This is deep, expansive, and exploratory thanks to the plethora of tunnel-reverbed synths. It's also quite danceable thanks to the 8-note rising-and-falling motif (~0:14, 0:57, etc.) from the source, plus the rubber band bass that goes from first heard to carrying/supplementing the rest of the percussion above it. The lead at 1:36 broadens the spacial tone further while giving the mix a sense of direction.

Only that first robotic sentence sounds unintelligible without reading the lyrics once, but in general the spoken words are a neat breakdown-ish change-up. It's especially satisfying after the last line when things go BOOM right back into the beat like a natural extension of the verbal message.

Everything moves and breathes in this beefy upgrade of UNATCO. Looks like the barriers between the synths have fallen and they've become more by joining... with each other...