OCR00278 - Mega Man 3 "Static Discharge"

Liontamer

• 1 year later...

Yeah, the snare is pretty acoustic and odd in this context. The drum programming is pretty repetitive here IMO, with little variation in velocity or rhythm. Lots of copy+paste. Not really much meat to the material that was pasted. Two or three synth sounds used throughout. Not your best, but you did keep the spirit of the original.

^ Ohai! Merry X-Mas to you.

0:15 into the song I had the "Oh fuck" moment when I realized this was all that it was going to be. Compare this mix to others in the era, and a few things come shining through.

- Stiff and boring drum programming. 

- The snare in particular is awful. I can't hear anything over it, and I wish I could.

- The source melody was incorporated, not expanded.

To be honest, this mix probably wouldn't hit the bar today. 14 years ago, standards just weren't the same. But really, neither was ReMixing. Samples have improved, processes have improved, software has improved. And we've all grown up a lot musically. There've been literally thousands of mixes since this one was posted, and I'd wager there'd be fewer good ones if artists hadn't challenged themselves to do better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00278 - Mega Man 3 "Static Discharge"