OCR02998 - Metroid Prime 'Hot Machine, Cold Surface'

djpretzel

LOVE this mix right here man. you have done some VERY good things with this one. But i feel the chimes are maybe a tad loud over the main music not that its bad and you also maybe end the song alittle too quickly with a few seconds of quiet at the end as well.. Its ALL good definately faved for life

Edited by MusicHunter

Yeah, there's a resonance on the low mids in the bells, and it gets hard to hear the other elements in the mix. Still some nice atmospherics and interesting contrast when the Indian percussion came in. A crazy amount of compression on the acoustic kit later on though. Yikes. May come off as overcompressed to some people, but it feels intentional.

Gorgeous piece. The beginning just draws me into the enchantment of it, then the layers start to build and it's wonderful. The nice, industrial drums don't take away from the magic of the piece, either. They seem like they should be jarring, but they really aren't. They still maintain warmth, as the entire song does, in spite of it seeming also as crisp as ice.

Aptly named.

My only complaint is that I wanted it to go on longer, for more of a journey. Great work.

How cool to learn about OCR's importance to Ben & his previous submissions to the site. I love FTL & its soundtrack, and the similarities are definitely there. This is a cool arrangement, and I enjoy the emphasis on percussion. The track does fade out before it concludes, though, that is definitely how I feel. I also agree that the low-mid range sounds a bit muddy. Loved the atmosphere though, and the way the piece develops. Looking forward to more OCR submissions from mr. Prunty!

I can definitely hear the FTL influence in this ReMix. Awesome stuff. I do agree that some sounds were a bit sharp, like some of those bells, and it does seem to trail off at the end, but other than that, an excellent piece of music and a wonderful take on Ice Valley.

• 1 year later...

The instant I sat down to listen this song, I immediately knew it was from the guy who made the FTL: Faster Than Light soundtrack. Those drums with those bells: a dead giveaway.

I really, really, really, REALLY dig the drums in this song. I also really dig the interesting route taken for the Phendrana Drifts theme. It would be so easy to go with something smooth and quiet like the actual song, but instead, this particular version is very energetic, more along the lines of the second theme for the area than the first one.