OCR00193 - Dr. Mario "Funky Pills"

Liontamer

• 10 months later...

Aw, nobody? Oh wait I think I know why

I think this accomplishes its goals beautifully right from the get-go. Really nice samples and arrangement, great production especially for this early in OCR's history. The bass and organ are highlights but everything really shines... except. That transition point at 2:22 is sort of awkward, and even the part that follows is great on its own terms (I love virt Ska - see also his Balloon Fight remix) I think that the section doesn't fit well with the rest. I think virt wanted to fit both of the Dr. Mario themes in one song, but I think it would have sounded better if he took his ideas for Fever at the end of this song and made a full thing out of it, rather than make it the ending of this Chill remix.

Oh well! Glad to see some of Jake's stuff on the site! 

• 3 months later...

The bass in this track is outstanding. One of the best, and most creative uses of bass I’ve heard from this website. Even if you don’t care for Dr. Mario (or video game music in general), this track does a great job standing on its own. And capping off this great remix is the brass and guitar solos at the end.  

• 3 weeks later...

Play that funky music, white boy (or other ethnicity of your choice)! That bass! That organ! That usage of ride cymbal! Oh my!

However; this is 2 tracks slapped together which have nothing to do with each other. I like funk, I love ska, hell I'm sure I'd like funky ska if ever I heard some, but these are 2 sources with totally different styles and they don't really belong together. Each is excellent in it's own but they deserve their own tracks and submissions.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00193 - Dr. Mario "Funky Pills"
  • 1 month later...

Good god, Virt! That rendition of Chill with that funky bass........that was straight up incredible, and then to bring in Fever with with a ska-fuel beat and a sweet keyboarding sound was awesome. I do agree that the transition was a little bit off in that it really made this almost a tale of two ReMixes, but eh, when both sides of the tale kicks this much ass, I can deal with one little thing for a whole bag of great music. Unreal production for the time, and a lot of good writing. This is why you're the man, Jake. Shine on, dude.