Contact Info

Your ReMixer name: Feelacanth

Your real name: Owen Henson

Your email address:

Submission Info

Name of game(s) arranged: Silent Hill 2

Name of arrangement: Crowded Minds and Lonely Roads

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Alone in the Town

Comments: It’s been a few years since I last tackled a video game remix, and after trying to improve my own sound through more originals and general growth, I’ve come to realize I’ve missed it. So this is my first completed attempt at getting back into it. My main intention was to keep at least some of the haunting, melancholy feel of Akira Yamaoka’s work while trying to add an extra bitterness to the tune (especially with the drop). This is actually the first time I’ve completed anything in this particular style. I’ve submitted a couple times before under a different name and I wasn’t quite up to par, so I’m hoping my progress since then has made my work more suitable!

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

On first listen, this track sounds cool and moody, and I love the percussion... but I can not make out much source at all. I hear some melody at 1:54, and again at 3:53... other than that, this is going to be tricky. I hope it's there and I'm just missing it. Anyone here know this source, and can ID it in this mix? That'd be greeeeeeeaaaaaat.

Also I hear some disharmonious stuff and darnit, fadeout ending. Ggggrrr

edit 10/27/14: After spending some more time A/Bing this source to the mix, I still can't wrap my mind around this source, and I can't really hear much in the mix. I have the feeling you altered the melody syncopations and did some interpretations, and they are significant enough as to bury the source too deeply for the mere mortal to recognize. The fact that this is such an ambient source doesn't help matters. Somehow, the melodies need to be more recognizable. When you resubmit (and I really hope you do because I love this), it would be so helpful if you include your own source breakdown for us.

NO (resubmit)

Edited by Chimpazilla

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I gotta say I'm with Chimp here. Most of the song is definitely reminiscent of the source tune, but I'm not really hearing hardly any of the melodies actually in there. This source tune isn't *just* ambiance, either, so there's no real excuse for that.

Some of the melodies that are used (that, I think, are new, and not based off of something from the source) are dissonant, as mentioned, too.

It's a cool track overall, but I'm just not hearing enough source to keep it moving forward. That *should* be a pretty easy fix, though, since you've got the basis of the track already in place. Add some proper source, and send this back--I look forward to hearing it!

NO (resub!)

Edited by Flexstyle

This is a tough one. Production wise I'm quite happy - everything has separation, all the different elements are audible. Arrangement wise things are also pretty interesting, there are quite a few changes along the way to keep interest. I also like the chimey instruments and synths you've gone for. There are some dissonant progressions in the track, which add to that eerie spooky experience. Sometimes it can be a little too dissonant, but because the track is working in horror game territory, I can accept it.

The main issue like the others have mentioned is source usage. I certainly hear some stuff reminiscent of the source (especially when things build up at the 1:00 mark), and those organ stabs have similarities to the original, but these aren't quite source from what I can hear. You have a great base here to actually add in some of the original tune across your mix, and when that happens, I think this is passable.

NO (please resub)