OCR03103 - *YES* Portal 2, Cave Story+ & Portal 'I Survive!'

Chimpazilla

Hey! Here's that mix that has been on the shelf for months. I kept meaning to sub it and had to put it off, because it wasn't done yet, finally here it is.

Game: Portal, Portal 2, Cave Story+ (PC)

Source: Still Alive (Portal lyrics), Want You Gone (Portal 2), Plantation (Cave Story)

Portal 2:

Cave Story+ (PC):

Composers: Jonathan Coulton, Pixel, Yann van der Cruyssen.

I'm linking the "New" version of Cave Story, because it's what I used, and it's the version of the soundtrack I prefer. (Original is a bit too 8bit for me, and Remastered just... dropped the ball so hard IMO)

Title: I Survive!

Breakdown

0:01 - 0:22 = Want You Gone

0:22 - 0:32 = Cave Story+

0:32 - 1:12 = Want You Gone

1:12 - 1:22 = Super brutal original riff intended to melt babies straight out of the womb in the most metal manner imaginable

1:22 - 2:03 = Want You Gone

2:03 - 2:22 = Still Alive lyrics from Portal with an original super brutal riff intended to make people with old knees buckle under their own weight in agony

2:22 - 2:53 = Cave Story+

2:53 - 3:33 = Want You Gone

3:33 - 3:54 = Want You Gone repeating vocal part with lyrics from Still Alive, and the super brutal riff intended to make sure your health care premiums will always be through the roof

3:54 - 3:55 = I'm different!

3:55 - End = Want You Gone

It's pretty straight forward, pretty true to the original. The growls are super brutal and sound amazing, but the lead vocals -- I'll be honest -- they were too much of a challenge because the song got written in a key where they had to be too low, the vocal line in general. I might ninja edit their volume down before you guys find this in a year :-) Or at least EQ some of the meat out of them so they sit inside of the song more.

The song was inspired by Devin Townsend's Juular stylistically, it's a little too slow though. Especially the beginning drum part, it needed to be a lot faster. Despite all of the things I said here that may be taken negatively about the song, I really like it and think it's totes brutal, I just wish I had better skills.

As a final note, this mix was a little old, so it didn't have some of the newer stuff like predelay that I started doing, and I'm a little lazy and decided I'd like to make it more raw and upfront anyway. I use reverb too heavily most of the time so I may take a step back from that in the future. I can't hide bad performances behind reverb and echo forever!

Well here we are again,

It’s always such a pleasure,

Remember when you tried to kill me twice?

Oh, how we laughed and laughed,

Except I wasn’t laughing,

Under the circumstances I’ve been shockingly nice.

You want your freedom take it,

That’s what I’m counting on,

I used to want you dead but,

Now I only want you gone.

She was a lot like you,

(Maybe not quite as heavy),

Now little Caroline is in here too.

One day they woke me up,

So I could live forever,

It’s such a shame the same will never happen to you.

You’ve got your short, sad life left,

I’ll let you get right to it,

Now I only want you gone.

I survive!

And believe me, I am Still Alive

I'm doing science and I'm still alive.

I feel fantastic and I'm still alive.

While you're dying I'll be Still Alive

Goodbye, my only friend,

Oh, did you think I meant you?

That would be funny if it weren’t so sad,

Well you have been replaced,

I don’t need anyone now,

When I delete you maybe I’ll stop feeling so bad.

Go make some new disaster,

You’re someone else’s problem,

Now I only want you gone,

I survive!

And believe me, I am Still Alive

I'm doing science and I'm still alive.

I feel fantastic and I'm still alive.

While you're dying I'll be...

And when you're dead I will be Still Alive!

Still alive..... still alive....

Portal 2:

Cave Story:

• 1 month later...

Handling of the sources is pretty excellent. Good reinterpretation of the original tracks, and there's a good amount of variety.

All of the production work is solid, although I'm not thoroughly happy with the how the drums sound. The kick has moments where it seems like a great fit, and then times where it sounds like a piece of paper stretched over the opening of Pringles can. But the drums are definitely good enough, and like I said, all of the other elements of the track sound really good.

Pretty easy YES vote.

Pretty solid production work with all of the parts coming through clearly.

Interesting idea combining these two sources: I'm familiar with both, but never considered the similarities before now.

Gonna agree with Larry on the chorus line. The backing instrumentation felt a little off with some of the note choices not quite sounding correct... or seamless.. or something. Hard to put a finger on it, but it's a minor gripe.

Growly music obviously isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea (not mine, personally), but that doesn't take away from the fact that this is well performed and produced.

YES