A thank you to Andrew (Zircon)

Draconiator

Zircon and Jillians new video caused me to write. I have known Zircon ever since the middle of the '00s, in the SoundTempest room on IRC network EsperNet. I think that is around the same time his first mix was posted on OCR. I remember actually telling him that I wish I knew him earlier so we could grow together.

Fast forward 10 years, and he is now this near-international superstar. it's an understatement when I say I am happy for them, and I think subconciously he inspired me to give it my OWN go at getting onto OCR. I think Andrew really inspired me to shoot for the stars, and it's why I never gave up. My goal was to get my OWN mix onto OCR, and I would do it no matter what.

Got my start in the OHCs, and slowly learned new things there. my first submission was an instareject, the second made it onto the panel and got shot down there ( http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32607 ), but even then I never wavered, never got angry, and always stayed the course. always kept my goal in mind. My break I feel came in the "Grand Robot Master Remix" contest, 2011. That too I lost (in the first round even), but out of that came the groundwork for this: http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR02530

I felt like "Mission Accomplished" when I saw that on the front page, and I feel I have Andrew to thank for this. without his indirect guidance, I never would have gone on this journey in the first place. While musically I may never do what he does, I am happy where I'm at, I'm just happy doing music, even though I may never do anything with it.

Thank you Andrew!

Hey man, thank you for the kind words. The days of #soundtempest seem so long ago, but will never be forgotten :-) When I first got to OCR, I looked up to remixers like McVaffe who at the time seemed so far ahead of me, and that was a big inspiration. I had plenty of rejections myself. I'm just glad that in the same way I was inspired by other remixers, I've been able to inspire and motivate you. Couldn't ask for more :-)

Andy has been my inspiration since... 2012 or something, and I started remixing in April 2011. Lemme put it this way: I was a scrub back then, taking remixing critiques from other people and not being able to apply them, and now, I'm giving critiques to other people and helping them. That's a huge jump. I'm sure I wouldn't have gotten to where I am now without his remix walkthroughs, livestreams, and his music in general. Not to mention his and Will Roget's (and occasional outsiders') incredibly well-crafted-and-recorded sample libraries. Keep up the fantastic work! :mrgreen:

Edited by timaeus222

I still can't get enough of Identity Sequence. Also, the first time I heard Zircon's music was when I first fired up FL Studio several years ago now. T'was an epic moment I won't soon forget.

I am also surprised as hell that it wasn't Timaeus who made this thread, but I suppose roughly 50% of Tim's posts praise or reference Zircon anyway. :<