Games Arranged - Demon's Souls

Arrangement Name - Epitaph for Boletaria

Songs Arranged - The Beginning, Maiden in Black, Return to Slumber

Game info -

Demon's Souls

Composers - Shunsuke Kida

Systems - Playstation 3

Comments:

Over Thanksgiving there was Souls-Giving (2013). Many souls came together for jolly cooperation...and I missed it. But I was there in spirit! Anyway, Demon's Souls blew me away. It really was one of those games where I thought "psh what's all the fuss about, can't be that good" and then I didn't leave the house.

This is an arrangement of a few different songs. It mainly blends the steady rhythm from 'The Beginning' with 'Maiden in Black' and ends with 'Return to Slumber' as a big finish. I'm very fond of the pauses that were in 'Maiden in Black' because it created such atmosphere...but how do you remix silence? I had to fill up that space and by keeping the rhythm going and playing the strings off one another I thought it paid off well enough. I usually always like to use some percussion but this has none, it's pretty emotive. Even though it's very orchestral and string dominant, I hope it feels unique in its own way.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Beginning

Maiden in Black

Return to Slumber

I dig this a lot. The samples are clearly that--samples--but they're used well enough and with enough dynamics that I'm not worried. The arrangement is gorgeous, and I can clearly hear the source in there, but I love the way you've picked the entire thing up and done a much more energetic, driving sort of orchestral arrangement rather than the much more somber tone of the originals.

Yeah honestly, I don't have a whole lot to say on this one. There are times when it feels a touch loud, and I'm not sure if that's my headphones or just a rogue frequency somewhere, but it's not enough to bother me right now.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Nicely done. The arrangement is pleasing. You've expressed the harmonic richness of the original pieces and flourished their minimalist style.

Production quality is smooth. Clean and tasteful

To criticize, I point to the repetitive, "blocky" structure of many individual sections. However, the stirring motion of the harmony makes up for this stiffness. The "blockiness" can be seen as a nod to the minimal rhythms in the source pieces

YES

I hear plenty of source too, and this is lovely, really very nice arrangement. You did a really nice job "remixing the silence." I have no problem with the samples other than the solo samples, the lead violin has some off-key moments with the bendy articulations and the attacks give it away. Also the solo cello that is panned right playing arps is particularly not-real sounding (and I wish it weren't quite so hard-panned). Those arps do sound a bit blocky as Clem mentioned, but it can't be helped when working with solo samples like this... solo samples are so hard to work with so I'm forgiving this fully. The rest of the samples are used as well as possible and they sound quite nice. Other than the solo samples, I got nothin' to complain about, I love it.

YES

Nice track. You have some nice production quality across the mix, good use of stereo and frequency space. You have chosen sounds that work well together, and everything is audible. Nothing sticks out as overpowering, keeping a soft feel throughout.

To me the arrangement in this track is the weakest bit. It's not bad and I'm happy to accept it, but things do sound like they're on block rotation. I think the original tunes are mainly responsible for this, as a lot of them consist of 4-8 bar sections that repeat a few times before differing (with some only differing slightly). There are some unique bits over the top as we pass through the mix that separate things somewhat and add an original touch.

Good work on this one.

YES

Edited by Jivemaster