Shadow of the Colossus [UPDATE: 7/16]

sephfire

I can't even remember how long ago it was that I first posted a concept for this. Quite a while. Anyway, I'm back on it and tinkering with ideas. This mp3 is pretty much 3 different sections of arrangment tests mashed together. Still, you'll get the idea of where I'm headed.

http://www.sephfire.com/music/snowfall.mp3

I'm sorta surprised SotC has gotten so little attention so far.

I agree. Actually, I REALLY want to make a metal remix of one of the battle themes from that game. Which song is this in the game. I couldn't recognize it. Probably because it's been a while since I've played it. I think it sounds nice so far. I want to compare it to the original though. If you make the first Shadow of the Colossus remix, I'll be so jealous. ^__^ I wanted to be first with a remix for this game. But before that, I feel that it's my duty to make the first Valkyrie Profile remix. I can't believe nobody has done anything with that, yet. I definitely support your concept!

This is that game that's composed of a vague storyline, trippy cutscenes and about fifteen boss fights, right?

SWEET!

...Um, yeah. So I'm not terribly familiar with the source material--point is, I like what I hear. Keep working on it. I'll see if I can dig up the source tune and give a more detailed review later, maybe once there's more to comment on.

Still--really nice so far. :)

man this is chill. I dig it so far. I approve of your concept and am looking forward to a completed package. Only thing is that at :38-:45 I feel like you're about to give me some big bright climax, but it doesn't go where I'm hoping and leaves me a little dissappointed, which I think has to do with the parallel motion in your voice leading of the chords, and the timbral change on the fall that occurs into :45. But that's my only gripe so far.

rock on sir. \m/

• 1 month later...

Ooh...a remix of the SotC title theme. With a nice progression as well. Seems like a winner.

Aside from the lack of material, however. Even for something that's supposed to be chill and laid-back, this is bare-bones as all get-out. Of course, you already know that, so...I won't berate you on that aspect. Since the arrangement is nice (and cohesive, more importantly), I guess the only issue is the title...

(any slash marks mean either/or)

"Assassin in the Snow/Wind"

"Into/Inside the Hourglass"

"Whisper of the Shadow"

"(Under/Beneath) The Ancients' Shadow"

Ehh, just some ideas.

~.C.S.~

This gets a little monotonous towards the end(not like, "damn, this is boring," but like "hmmm, this is pleasant, but its been going for a a bit much."), but you're just messin' around, I know. The bells kick all manner of ass. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Yeah, I'm feeling the monotony too. The energy just doesn't change much. I'll be working more on the dynamics next. Hopefully that'll help some. Any additional thoughts you guys can provide will be a huge help.

(thanks for the ideas Claado, I like the themes your title suggestions allude to)

I could hear monotony, but it really didn't bug me. The music was just so calming that I really didn't care. In my opinion the monotny really isn't that bad.

Of course variation wouldn't hurt either.

You know what this mix needs? Less synth, more acoustic guitar. You should team up with someone like Geoffrey Taucer or something and have him do some improv, backing guitar. Nothing fancy, nothing complicated...just some good ol' fashioned pickin' n strummin', another layer to help keep the pulse pumping.

Of course, that may not fit into your idea of the mix, but it certainly worked for Death on the Snowfield, so...take that as you will.

~.C.S.~

This mix is purty. I especially liked the sleigh bell in there, and the hand drums(at least I think that they were hand drums) 1:28 to 1:40 created a really chill ambience.

The fact that they were only used for twelve seconds of the song is troublesome, though; they would be much more effective if used throughout, such as the segment from 3:00 to 3:25.

Also, on your main drums, it sounds like you're using a different sample for the second snare hit in the measure(not counting ghost notes, the one on 4). While the softer sound is nice, it may be a little too quiet, and sounds weird in contrast with the first snare hit in the measure.

The intro to this song is masterful. I mean, the whole song is good, but from 0:00 to 1:40 is inspired. You might want to add a measure of just drums at the very beginning, but still, damn that sounds good.

Edit: And for the record, I don't like the acoustic guitar idea.

the deep strings that come in at 2:40 seem to stand out too much. Right idea, I think it would sound better if the blended into the foreground more. Personally I don't know about the acoustic, the sound will either be great or just completely clash. It is def something to look into, maybe do two versions one with the guitar and one without, and then see what the population thinks. Overall this mix is solid, original beat that goes perfect. I really dig this one.

The fact that they were only used for twelve seconds of the song is troublesome, though; they would be much more effective if used throughout, such as the segment from 3:00 to 3:25.

Good thinking. :)

I'm not feeling the acoustic idea as much though. Not that it doesn't have potential, it's just not the direction I've had in mind thus far. Thanks for helping to inspire the remix title though. :)