Elemental Master - Blood Stained Lake - Guitar Remake

ngc2440nucleus

I give up on this. I've tried everything I know, but I just don't think it will ever sound the way I want it to. For better or worse, I decided to post it here in case anyone might enjoy it, or perhaps share any critique they might have.

Personally, I think it sounds compress-y and whoof-y. I tried everything to get the bass to sit properly in the mix, but it just doesn't. In this version, I used a multi-band compressor to stereo-separate the mids and highs of the bass, whilst keeping the low-end centered. Despite the fact that the center guitar (which is also stereo-widened) doesn't have too much below 200hz, the bass guitar is just cutting through, even though I carved at about 800hz on all guitars to make room for the bass.

GRRR! It's been a month since I started recording this, and that's too long to be working on one thing, in my opinion!

Hmmm, I'll tinker with the drum bus a little, I guess. The individual pieces of the kit are all quite bright, individually. If you listen closely, you can hear the snap of the kick, snare and toms, but I probably didn't bring the highs up enough in my drum submix which has Maximus powering (see: obliterating!) the drums. I'll mess with it a little more, and see what I can do. Perhaps even an exciter like ThrillseekerXTC or something might do the trick. In fact, I almost put that on the master channel for some subtle, last-minute texturing.

Thanks for the input.