I am in Bullet Hell - Now I need recommendations.

Meteo Xavier

After years of avoiding the genre and coming into contact to it through my Japanese Sega Saturn collecting binge of the last 6 weeks, I'm now fully infected with the Bullet Hell/Danmaku bug.

I've made many purchases to just barely satisfy this craze that couldn't have come at a worse time (this is Halloween for God's sakes!), much that I could get from Xbox Live, Gunbird for the Sega Saturn, Castle of Shikigami II for the PS2, Chaos Field for the Gamecube, Deathsmiles and I even fuckin' imported Dodonpachi Resurrection Deluxe Edition from the PAL for the Xbox 360 (which is region-free and comes with an arrange album). And yet STILL my thirst remains unquenched.

Now I look towards Windows and maybe even Android, which I've never touched or had any interest in until this new mania set in. I know about the Touhou series and will get into it. I've seen Danmaku Unlimited 2 and make great preference to purchase, but I find it's harder to look up Android and Windows Danmakus right now than lists of ones available for consoles.

Any other recommendations? Any I can run on a 4+ year old Acer Aspire One Netbook with 1gig ram, 2.0Ghz (I think) single processor? I got Final Burn Alpha and a bunch of late 90s, early 2000s SHMUPS to work on there fine. What else you got?

In addition to the Touhou games, which I recommend again even though you mentioned that you'd get to them, if you have a PS4 or PS Vita I can't recommend Velocity 2X enough. It's a really great take on the twitch-based shooter, and one of my choices for game of the year.

An older choice that no one has mentioned is that Konami outsourced the development of Gradius V to Treasure, and the result is a beautifully difficult shmup that rewards multiple loops of play. It's available on the PS2.

For $45 at its cheapest from what I see. I have Ikaruga for the Cube and Radiant Silvergun on the Xbox, that's probably all the Treasure SHMUP I can stand.

I probably should've mentioned it but I didn't want to seem unrealistic in that I was hoping to find Danmakus I didn't have to spend an arm and a leg on (the unrealism part being that they are among the most expensive console games that can be found). Some of the PC ones I saw were highly affordable, like Danmaku Unlimited 2 ($4.99). I still think about getting an Android thing for some of the cheap re-releases on that from Cave and the Raiden series and such, but short of getting one of those Chinese $50 PS Vita knockoffs, I haven't found enough on it to justify getting an Android system yet.

Manic and bullet hell shmups, eh? A few off the top of my head...

DonPachi (arcade/PS1/Saturn)

DoDonpachi (arcade/PS1/Saturn)

Mars Matrix (arcade/Dreamcast)

Giga Wing 1+2 (arcade/Dreamcast)

Jamestown (PC)

Hellsinker (PC)

Progear (arcade)

Batsugun (arcade/Saturn)

Zero Gunner 2 (arcade/Dreamcast)

Psyvariar 2 (arcade/Dreamcast)

Gundemonium Collection (3 games - PC)

eXceed Collection (3 games - PC)

Tale of Alltynex (3 games - PC)

Psyche Metal: The Bleeding (PC)

Some games that can come close to being bullet hell-ish if you turn up the difficulty...

The Raiden series (arcade/Genesis/SNES/TG-16/PC/360/and God only knows what else)

Soldner-X (PC/PS3)

Under Defeat (arcade/Dreamcast/PS3)

Grind Stormer (arcade/Genesis)

I've been enjoying Bug Princess (Mushihimesama) on my iPhone. Several of Cave's shooters are available on iPhone and Android. Shoot 'em ups work surprisingly well on cellphones since they just auto mash the fire button for you freeing you up to navigate your ship with the touch screen. Depending on how "pure" of an experience you want, you can configure Cave's shooter cell phone ports to also auto-bomb for you when a bullet is getting ready to hit you. And there is no Pay to Win garbage in any of them.

Manic and bullet hell shmups, eh? A few off the top of my head...

DonPachi (arcade/PS1/Saturn)

DoDonpachi (arcade/PS1/Saturn)

Mars Matrix (arcade/Dreamcast)

Giga Wing 1+2 (arcade/Dreamcast)

Jamestown (PC)

Hellsinker (PC)

Progear (arcade)

Batsugun (arcade/Saturn)

Zero Gunner 2 (arcade/Dreamcast)

Psyvariar 2 (arcade/Dreamcast)

Gundemonium Collection (3 games - PC)

eXceed Collection (3 games - PC)

Tale of Alltynex (3 games - PC)

Psyche Metal: The Bleeding (PC)

Ah, now there's some good PC recommendations. I forgot about Jamestown. A bunch of those listed for the arcade I'm using Final Burn Legends for - there's no way in hell I'm paying $80-$150+ for a fuckin' arcade shooter.

I don't have any iOS currently (and I hope to never do). I thought about getting into Android gaming like I said earlier because I did see Cave finally put a bunch of their games for reasonable prices up on there, but I also couldn't find a lot of other games on Android I felt like buying an Ouya or even that Google console thing they're coming out with just to enjoy that. One of those $50 PSP Vita knockoffs tempt me, but that's about it.

Well, if'n you bastards ain't going to feed me recommendations, I'll brag about other Bullet Hell-related wins I've scored.

Today at Gamestop, I found a copy of Taito Legends 2 marked for $1.99. This disk holds several otherwise expensive SHMUPS that Taito did and the disk was in a good condition. Somehow, I'm still not sure what I did to get this, but I ended up only paying $0.55 for it! That's the cheapest game purchase I've ever made (unless you count Lifesavers as currency).

Still unsure how Gamestop gets so much hate.