Computer Cause of Death

So, I know this isn't directly about music and production, rather it's about the device to create such music with.

Today, I installed a new power supply and graphics card. Installing these components went smoothly enough, but upon booting the computer up, I'm met with a screen that says "Reboot and choose proper boot device or insert boot media". I wondered if maybe the power supply, upgrading from 350 watts to 520 might have been an issue. I checked all the connections and stuff and it is all hooked up correctly. I decided to take out the new graphics card and re-install the old power supply to troubleshoot.

Same problem. I also am unable to get into the BIOS screen - it just gives me a black screen and no text, so I would assume this means the BIOS are gone...and I can't seem to find the boot disc.

I read on ONE other forum (Microsoft Forums) that the issue could possibly be that the motherboard's battery has died and that re-installing the BIOS from a boot disc and getting a new battery for the motherboard would fix the problem, but it is the only site to suggest this.

I unfortunately cannot get a new battery atm, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem after replacing a power supply and in the event that a new battery and boot disc don't fix the problem, if you have any other suggestions.

What specifically did you do when you hooked up all of the connections? It sounds to me like something or perhaps multiple things are not being powered properly. Getting a request for boot media sounds like the OS drive is not getting power; not getting a BIOS at all sounds like the motherboard is not getting power. Also, are you positive the BIOS is not running? If the video card were not getting power, you would get a black screen even if the BIOS were running.

Boot disc won't be of any help. Does it POST/Beep ? Is the CPU fan well connected ? Was the graphic card in the right slot and compatible with the mobo ? A computer with a 350W... is it old ?

Yeah it's all compatible. I got a tech to look at it and the issue has been figured out.

Also, you reason that it must be old because of wattage? Computers off the shelf are usually only going to come with as many watts as they actually require. It's not even one year old. That's like reasoning that a guitar amp must be old because it only has X amount of watts. Aren't you an electrician? :-P

The problem is a windows issue - basically something went wrong with an update or something. It was a case of timing, not an issue with part installations. Just need to get the recovery discs from ASUS and recover the hard drive.

Also, you reason that it must be old because of wattage?
No, I reason that's either old like when hardware sucked less juice OR a POS from Walt-Mart that will need to be upgraded as soon as you'll upgrade anything else (which you are doing ?).
Computers off the shelf are usually only going to come with as many watts as they actually require. It's not even one year old.

Of course, Walt-Mart/Staples/Whatever will use the smallest PSU required to lower the price of the "off the shelf" computer.

That's like reasoning that a guitar amp must be old because it only has X amount of watts.

Not really. It actually doesn't make any sens. But that was like reasoning that you built your own PC or wanted to, for music/gaming, for which a 350W was insufficient.

Aren't you an electrician? :razz:

No, they buy computers at Walt-Mart and pass wires in walls, I went a bit further :wink:.

But I don't see the link with that and the fact that your hardware had a 50% chance being old..

The problem is a windows issue - basically something went wrong with an update or something. It was a case of timing, not an issue with part installations. Just need to get the recovery discs from ASUS and recover the hard drive.

You were saying you had a black screen, but if it was just a Windows issue, your computer did POST and should have been able to enter the BIOS.

Hard to figure when not in face of the PC tho...

Edited by Metal Man

FFS, it died again. It's not the power supply, as it will run great with both the old and the new power supply, but installing the video card causes the problem. Which seems difficult to reverse. Which is strange because I've gone over and over the specs and everything and it's all hooked up correctly and compatible. Something's screwy with the card and it's messing up the BIOS. If I plug back into the integrated card, I get the same problem.

I just said to hell with it and took it to a local computer store. First time I've ever had too lol.