Palpable

Drawn And Quartered (ReMixer)

Colin Draun

32430 (Forum User ID)

Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest

Voyage of Promise

Jib Jig/In A Snow-Bound Land

Originally Composed By David Wise

The instruments used are primarily the outstanding sound library of IK Multimedia's Miroslav Philharmonik. I used a sound chart to properly mix the orchestra to ensure the full scope. The original arrangement of the rigging level music always seemed to lend itself to a waltz time. There's something distinctly epic about the imagery of a ship sailing on wild open seas, alive with a crew of miscreants with dreams of treasure and discovery. The arrangement just sort of took me to the ice cave music; it just seemed fitting to merge the two into a single piece, and complete the voyage. I invite you aboard.

- "Jib Jig"

- "In a Snow-Bound Land" Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 1 month later...

Something about the string articulations/triggering sounds super duper fake, and the lack of realism's taking me out of this pretty quickly. Same with the woodwinds, and then brass during the second half. There's a stiffness to the whole presentation.

The two source themes seemed entirely unconnected; besides the drumbeat underneath, there was practically no meaningful transition from "Jib Jib" to "In a Snow-Bound Land" and the changeup at 1:15 was awkward, IMO. There's some notable personalization of the sound given the new instrumentation, but not much interpretation of the source melodies.

Lots of relatively muddy mixing that also wasn't helped by the hard panning. It seemed like the panning from 1:44-2:13 (most noticeably) was too drastic, at least in my headphones. 2:13 sounded like a cut-and-paste of :25's section.

I hate to have a lot of criticisms, but there a lot of detail-work missing in the execution.

NO

Just to kinda piggyback on what everyone else said here, it's pretty hard to get past the mixing on this. The panning is really awkward, and makes me feel like the instruments are directly BEHIND my ears. Like behind the lobes. Makes me uncomfortable.

Otherwise the arrangement is really straight-forward and, like Larry said, disconnected. I think part of the problem might be that there doesn't seem to be a big stretch going on here from source to arrangement in terms of style or form.

NO