*NO* Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 'Tranquil Turnabout'

Chimpazilla

Contact Information

ReMixers: Xyless, 194

Real Names: Jacob Tjolsen (Xyless), Carlos Godoy (194)

Email Addresses: Xyless - , 194 -

User IDs: Xyless - 31060, 194 - 48785

Submission Information

Name of Game Arranged: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

Name of Arrangement: Tranquil Turnabout

Name of Songs Arranged: Pursuit ~ Cornered

The idea came by accident. We were working to make an original melody (with a panflute instrument at the time for experimentation) when we realized that we had just made the first few measures of Cornered instead. The usually-epic and tense lines of Cornered made smooth, almost sad, by the slow rhythm and the terseness of a panflute.

I, Xyless, sent it to 194, and he quickly came with a guitar line to accompany it. Over months, we added more and more to the song, while trying to keep it rooted in a sort of minimalism that allowed each instrument to have its own strength in the piece, not to mention make it different from the rest of the Cornered remixes available that took the song to a more intense, high-energy pace.

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 2 weeks later...

The arrangement works pretty well, but the guitar and panflute sequencing is very stiff, and definitely needs to be humanized. When the Strings come in, they are really muddy and hard panned, making the left side feel empty by comparison. I suggest splitting the notes of the strings up and bit, and pan them individually so they balance out the sound field a bit more, and arent as muddy. I think adding another section would help the song as a whole too, as the song develops a bit in the main theme, but a B section would help break up the ideas a bit more.

I think a proper ending would be good as well, as it sortof just stops currently.

A good start, but it needs some more work. :-)

No

• 1 month later...

I concur with OA about the stiff sequencing and the way the stereo field feels strange. I, too, think that the arrangement is really lacking in terms of development. I see where you tried to do some extra to it when the guitar picks up and the instruments are all flowing together, but it's really not there yet.

This is tricky for me to give feedback on. On the one hand, the idea of making this otherwise-terse and energetic source tune a mournful ballad is a great idea. On the other hand, you'll be hurt in that endeavor unless your instrumentation is much more dynamic and realistic. You can alleviate some of that by changing the string patch to a more synthetic pad sound, but the pan flute is so clearly sampled that it's really not doing the job that needs to be done.

Like OA said, a B-section would really help this track--maybe take another source tune and use it to give the song some development. You'll also be helped if you can make your instrumentation more believable. I betcha the Workshop forums would be a good place to start if you're looking for more insight. :-)

NO

Not really feeling this at all. It's a very mechanical, conservative take on the source. The pan-flute is getting lost in those low strings as well, which are inexplicably panned to the right.

I see what you're trying to do here but the execution is really lacking. Adapting such an energetic track to something so much slower really requires a very emotive performance, and that's just not coming across here.

NO

This is the type of straightforward arrangement that almost REQUIRES humanized, emotive performances on real instruments to really sell it & make it work. Unfortunately, this is the opposite - both the acoustic guitar and the wind lead are a little static and also feel a little robotic. The quantizing isn't helping, but the dynamics are also a little flat. It's a shame, because it's a nice melody & I could really see this resonating if it were produced more like Jay's Secret of Evermore mix (http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR02377), for example.

NO