Earthworm Jim: Use Your Head - PRC281 EP

Eino Keskitalo

In that case, here it is

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/bt7qia91a7v8o7q/EWJ_WhipHead_VerA1.mp3

EDIT

If you had downloaded it yesterday, it was the wrong version - sorry about that! It is now the correct link.

note:

-I think I'm going to add another minute, so it's not completed compositionally and the transitions may be pretty rough at parts.

Loving the tom fills! Quick structure comments:

1. Nice ebb and flow, build-up and climaxing.

2. I'm fully expecting the piece to go to that descending riff at either 1:15 or 1:39 (where it would be kind of delayed gratification). It's relying on the A-part too long after the first descending riff.

3. I quite liked the 0:58-1:15 part in the 2012 arrangement, see if you could work that in? :) I also liked the low-key ending in that arrangement quite a bit, especially the pad+hihat at 3:28-3:45 was lovely.

Got an update for you. Not done yet, work in progress. Feedback appreciated.

http://soundcloud.com/xsquader/use-your-plasma-ocr-wip

Seems like the feel of the piece changed a great deal, which is interesting. Really nice groove from 2:26 onward. The previous version was leaning into a trancey direction, and this feels much more like 80s synthy technoy stuff.

The intro is quite long. The synths that are on the forefront up to 0:24 are very flimsy. Nice icy pads at 0:24. 1:09 hits the groove.

It's relying on the same part of the source which despite the variations is making the structure feel monotonic. I believe the descending riff would sound great at 0:53 and 1:39. At 0:53 in a lighter feel (pre-build up) and 1:39 keeping the heavier beat oriented feel, would be good climax and I think would continue well into what follows next in the current 1:39->

The bell-y arp is playing constantly from 0:30, which adds to the monotonous feel of the structure, and also is taking up quite a lot of space in the mix. It should take a break every now and then (you can also try switching the instrument playing the arp from time to time). It's good that it has some effect/filter automation going on.

So yeah, working on the structure will bring the piece some great strides forward. I liked the original writing/interpretation, for instance the long progression with the pad at 0:38-0:53 + the bassline at the last section, 2:26 forwards.

The Princess Is A Cow

This is a cool rock guitar jam. I assume the bass, lead guitar & wah guitar are live.

There's constant improv on the guitar throughout. I'd like instead of the fade-in there'd be a more measured establishment of the theme before going into improv. The piece is quite short as well - it'd be good to have a section that doesn't put the lead guitar to the front.

The overall mix is indeed a bit washed out. The drums sound quite soft. At first I thought they're a bit too busy but now I don't hear it that way. The synth arpeggios are fairly loud in the mix, play busily constantly and seem to hog a lot of the EQ range (not sure). It'd be good to have them give up a bit of room, both in the mix and in the structural sense (play less at times and stuff). Overall I think the sound of the mix is quite well established and pleasant to listen to, so it's definitely near the mark.

I quite like the style. With a more fully realized structure this is going to be very nice. I like the treatment of the descending riff from the original. I definitely dig the siney support melody synth in the last half.

Heading in to the Abyss

Dramatic piano opening, very cinematic. Percussion & strings support well as they come in. The 0:15-0:59 stretch is a bit too long. There's a hint of a very nice melody carried by the "middle" piano range, which could be strengthened (not necessarily more notes). I like that the piano arp goes up and down in the octaves, but perhaps the transition could climb up and back down if that makes sense. Piano needs some humanizing throughout.

At 1:15 again a very cool orchestral interpretation of the riff from the original. Very fitting & very fresh. Certainly a bit short. Very eager to hear how this progresses.

I'll comment on my track too, that the time signature stuff sounds messy and unclear at least until the bass starts moving & the support melody comes in. I'll try to make it more natural, maybe have it play straight 4/4 until that part. Now everyone should have comments on their latest WIP.

Excellent! :) Yeah yeah get to it!

I'll comment on my track too, that the time signature stuff sounds messy and unclear at least until the bass starts moving & the support melody comes in. I'll try to make it more natural, maybe have it play straight 4/4 until that part. Now everyone should have comments on their latest WIP.

Expect now that I listened to it it didn't sound like it was tripping over itself.. if I practice & record it to that rhythm it should fall into place, if it sounds off I can always adjust it then. I've got to get off my arse with this.

In that case, here it is

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/bt7qia91a7v8o7q/EWJ_WhipHead_VerA1.mp3

EDIT

If you had downloaded it yesterday, it was the wrong version - sorry about that! It is now the correct link.

note:

-I think I'm going to add another minute, so it's not completed compositionally and the transitions may be pretty rough at parts.

Starts off nice, but eventually adds too many layers and clutters the midrange. :( 1:00-1:16 is muddy with reverb and bass frequencies, 1:24-1:40 is cluttered by the piano and that saw lead, and somehow 1:40 got even louder. X_X

Got an update for you. Not done yet, work in progress. Feedback appreciated.

http://soundcloud.com/xsquader/use-your-plasma-ocr-wip

Yeah, I think it takes too long to get going, and the textures come off as sparse until 1:09 for me. Needs something more to ground the direction. Seems like a looped arpeggio with changing background elements, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but there's just not enough development and it gets repetitive overall. :|

Edited by timaeus222

Loving the tom fills! Quick structure comments:

1. Nice ebb and flow, build-up and climaxing.

2. I'm fully expecting the piece to go to that descending riff at either 1:15 or 1:39 (where it would be kind of delayed gratification). It's relying on the A-part too long after the first descending riff.

3. I quite liked the 0:58-1:15 part in the 2012 arrangement, see if you could work that in? :) I also liked the low-key ending in that arrangement quite a bit, especially the pad+hihat at 3:28-3:45 was lovely.

I'll see if I can get #3 to work. Don't worry, I'll get into the B-part for the very upcoming segment, I know I delayed it pretty long. Hopefully that can circumvent the issue for #2.

Starts off nice, but eventually adds too many layers and clutters the midrange. :( 1:00-1:16 is muddy with reverb and bass frequencies, 1:24-1:40 is cluttered by the piano and that saw lead, and somehow 1:40 got even louder. X_X

Yeah, lots of balance work needing to be done - I can probably manage those layers once I tweak everything. The loudness issue will definitely be fixed in either this or the next update.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

• 2 weeks later...
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/deu048hukywq832/EWJ_WhipHead_VerA2.mp3

^

Update 2...sorry evktalo, this isn't my best work, but I feel kinda stumped here, ending is kinda cop-out-ish. Maybe throw me in as a Bonus or something - I'm kinda spent on this one :banghead:

I think this is a great improvement. If you want it as a Bonus, I personally wouldn't have any more (major) crits.

ohh shit... I COMPLETELY forgot about this XD. I read all the comments and feedbacks so I'm not completely out of the loop.

However is it possible that I do an entirely different remix to my remix? Its just how I tend to do things. I don't do small updates, only remixes that are different from what I did.

Example:

If I took a picture and got feedback for that picture. I'm not going to go to photoshop and edit it, I'll go take another picture.

If I can't do that then that's cool. just curious to see if it was possible.